Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Pararescue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Pararescue

Story time. So, an Air Force recruiter called me the other day. I don't know how he got my cell phone since it changed between when I took the ASVAB and now, but he did. We talked, and he told me that I could do anything in the DoD that I want, which I've been told by the Navy and the Army, but I've never really committed beyond thinking it'd be fun. He told me that if I met the physical requirements for Pararescue, it'd be guaranteed that I'd go to training straight from basic. We talked about what it'd take, and I know that I can pass all of them except maybe the swim, but I can certainly practice for that. So, I've decided to ask you, anonymous strangers of the internet, do you think I should go for it? It'd be nice to know things like where I'd live, how long I'd be deployed, and what the death rate is. The recruiter is calling back tomorrow with more info, but I know many of you have relevant experience and it'd be nice to hear what you have to say.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
and what the death rate is.
That right htere says it all ..... do not join the Military! Go get a job at some bank or law firm

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
That right htere says it all ..... do not join the Military! Go get a job at some bank or law firm
I'm going to die someday. I've spent nights thinking about it. I think I'd prefer if it were to come quick as I was doing something good than let my life get to a point where I'm waiting to die. This being said, I don't want to throw my life away.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8393 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

One of the most physically and mentally challenging jobs there is. It is not just passing the selection tests- it is passing the course, and THEN doing the things you would need to do to stay current in your field. For instance- you are rescuing a pilot that has gone down in a Harrier. Aircraft is damaged. Pilot semi conscious. OK then.......

WHERE is the emergency release for the canopy? Which switches put the on board ordnance on safe? Where is the master electrical cutoff? Where are the safety pins for the ejection seat, and where do they go? Does the Harrier HAVE an ejection seat?

BTW, you have not even gotten to the pilot yet!

Deployment? Anywhere. Living conditions? Anywhere from Hollywood style to sleeping in a tent. Or in the shade of an airplane.

Death rate? One per person. Had a good friend, flew OV-1 Mohawks. 2 tours in Vietnam. Died when a drunk driver hit him while crossing a street. You want a guarantee- buy a toaster. It IS a hazardous job, as is anything involving flight, jumping, or using explosives. That's why you get paid the big bucks- Flight pay. (Sorry, sarcasm may have missed- you do draw flight pay for periods when flying as a crew member- it is not all THAT much.)

HOWEVER- some years ago, I undertook a qualification course with the US Army for a very demanding position. The head NCO filled us in at the very start. "Good news, and bad news. Good news- make it through this program, you have nothing to prove to anyone for the rest of your life. Bad news- you have to prove it to me first."

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #5

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I'm going to die someday. I've spent nights thinking about it. I think I'd prefer if it were to come quick as I was doing something good than let my life get to a point where I'm waiting to die. This being said, I don't want to throw my life away.

The good Lord has appointed all our days, as Christian we don't worry about when we will die. My nephew has been a Marine for almost a year and really likes it!
Stonewall Jackson rode on the front lines of battle encouraging his men to fight and stand their ground because of his strong belief in God.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

go for it! armed forces is always worth it.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #7

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

You don't want to throw your life away? I'm just a civilian, but being in pararescue and saving others is hardly throwing your life away.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

The Air Force is great!!!! The AF sends its officers to fight. Unlisted stay in safe zones. Go for it.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8393 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Towboater- I have heard that myself a lot of times- but you might ask the Sgt that was the tailgunner on the B52s, and the gun crews on the AC-130s how they feel about that!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #10

Also, there are no officers in Pararescue. It's an enlisted only position due to the danger.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis