Palm Frond Used As Weapon In 'Most Bizarre' Central Fla. Store Robbery
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Palm Frond Used As Weapon In 'Most Bizarre' Central Fla. Store Robbery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Palm Frond Used As Weapon In 'Most Bizarre' Central Fla. Store Robbery

DELAND, Fla. -- A Central Florida man armed only with a large palm frond robbed a store in a crime described by police as one of the most bizarre they've ever seen.

Police said Gelando Olivieri attempted to rob the V&F Discount Beverage store in DeLand by threatening harm with a spiked Spanish bayonet, a palmetto-like plant with sharp points on its leaves. "The man came in with the branch. I have never seen anything like this," owner Goutam Sarkar told the DeLand-Deltona Beacon Thursday.

Surveillance video showed Olivieri wildly waving the palm frond in front of a worker's face.

Investigators said Olivieri threatened to use the leaves to stab if he wasn't given $50.

"(The plant) was sharp," Sarkar said.

Before any money was exchanged, Oliveiri was chased out of the store by a man armed with a bar stool.

Oliveri was arrested a short time after the crime and charged with armed robbery.

A police official said the leaves of the Spanish bayonet are like knives and that people often plant them under windows to stop break-ins.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

* Video: Bandit Uses Palm Frond Used As Weapon In Store Robbery, Police Say

http://www.local6.com/news/16654677/detail.html

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok. You caught my attention. First let me say that not only are the bayonets sharp, the sting like a bugger as well. I still wouldn't have given him the dough. You should seriously rethink your criminal career when you are run off by a guy with a bar school because he "Out Guns" you.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8887 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Merely reaffirms my belief in the need to outlaw Assualt Plants!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

will those things fit on my M1?

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8887 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Scott- only if your M1 was made in Spain.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #6

It only proves once again that nearly ANYTHING can be used as a weapon in the hands of someone hell-bent on doing harm to another. I remember a case last year where a woman beat her boyfriend to death with an IPOD because he erased her MP3 collection.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa