Paleo Q & A - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Paleo Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, so step one is done. Just waiting on the boss to pull the pin and let Mosin into the secret club.

Step two - more research.....

Old 09-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #22

Liked 4204 Times on 2061 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Okay, to address some concerns/comments/questions i've seen here.

You can go paleo as hard as you want. That said... I HIGHLY recommend that you go strict Paleo for the first 30 days to get the full benefits, and see the improvements (you aren't going to notice if you cheat, then you'll be back on here "Paleo doesn't work, blah blah blah") BS. I know it works, I'm proof, I've converted friends, and they swear by it as well.

Paleo isn't Atkins. Atkins is low (like no) carb. Paleo is cool with carbs, just not from bad sources like bread, oatmeals, etc... I get plenty of carbs from veggies and tubers (I eat potatoes, some paleo people say no, but I eat them in moderation, with more emphasis on sweet potatoes). I eat the hell out of fruits. Even when I did my initial 2 month, hard core paleo, I was eating a lot of fruit in the form of smoothies. Now I eat smoothies after a workout, when the body uses it to replace glycogen.

Coffee: I didn't quit coffee while on paleo, I just drank it black (which I like anyways), if you INSIST on cream (NO SUGAR), I would occasionally indulge with a shot of almond milk (not paleo, but whatever).

AFTER the initial 28 days and you decide to stick with it... Remember, you only live ONCE. I eat pizza, and every single bad thing under the sun...just once in a while now... like once a week, because I've lost enough weight to justify in my mind having that pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

Food prep. Make the decision to go on Paleo. Schedule it for a day that fits your schedule. Now go eat a huge, non-paleo meal. Get stuffed. Eat a footlong sub, chips and a gallon sized coke. Now go paleo grocery shopping. You won't be motivated by hunger in the grocery store.

Paleo shopping/ budgeting. This can be expensive, but I make it work because I am a broke ass college student right now. Is organically raised, grass fed, hippy loved meat better?...probably. Can I afford it?...no. So I don't buy it.
Chicken- chicken is cheap. fits a crock pot. For under 10 bucks, you can have like 6 large soup meals.
Buy frozen veggies. They're better anyways than the "fresh stuff" frozen veggies are flash frozen on site. "Fresh veggies" are usually picked under-ripe, then treated with methylene gas to ripen them in the store. Under ripe food has less nutritional value.
Crock pot is your new best friend. have fun with soups. be creative.
Coconut oil I've found the cheapest at Wal-Mart. Use it to fry.
Olive oil- use it on salads.
Almond flower-use it to fry. (I eat the hellout of shrimp fried this way in coconut oil with fried plantain chips.)

Supplements-
When doing the initial 30 day challenge, take GOOD QUALITY fish oil (read the label to make sure it's not coated/cut with a bunch of BS) fish oil will reverse the inflammation caused by your SAD (standard American Diet).

I HIGHLY recommend magnesium and potassium. I went too low on the carbs the first month, went ketogenic, and had bad cramps for about 3 days, because my body was flushing out magnesium and potassium.

I have always had "brain fog"/ ADD. ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) was recommended in Robb Wolfs book. I got some. My brain cleared up in a few weeks.

Plan ahead!!!!!! Think about this. Our entire existence has been primarily based around finding food. Tracking food, preserving food, and dying from the lack of food. Get out of the mindset that paleo is too hard because it takes time. You can prepare meals for the entire week in under an hour, no excuses!!!! I came home at 10:30 last night, threw frozen peppers, a teaspoon of chopped garlic, and a handful of frozen shrimp in a pan...poured Tamari (gluten free soy sauce) over it, and had stir fry in 15 minutes.

Since there is interest, I will start posting some of my favorite recipes, along with pictures. Because in all honesty, not only is the food so much better for you, it's actually the best tasting food I've ever had. You'd be amazed how BLAND our diets really are, because were always resorting to a sandwich, or some cereal, or some pasta. Once I cut that stuff out, I realized that was all I was really eating.

Check out Robb Wolfs book, or his website. He offers great free starter info. I just love it, as you can tell. But even more so, I love it when my friends come back and tell me that they feel better than they ever have before.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #23

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Slow down, buddy. We're about to take you on a journey.

If it works, you're a God. If it fails, we'll mock you endlessly.

See you in the cool kids club shortly.....

Old 09-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #24

Mosin, I assume diet soda is off the list early on for best benefits?

TWMIM and I share a fondness for Diet Mt. Dew, but I know it's loaded with a ton of crap I need to cut out.

I don't drink coffee or tea, so I have no other source of caffeine in the mornings. Suggestions?

Is there a particular brand or make for the fish oil and potassium and magnesium?

I think we are going to do a whole thread dedicated to becoming Paleo. Just working out some stuff with TWMIM.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #25

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Ooh, good question.

Here comes the caffeine withdrawal...

Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #26

Like Virgil, I will guide you down this path.

Like Dante, you must follow on your own....

Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Mosin, I assume diet soda is off the list early on for best benefits?

TWMIM and I share a fondness for Diet Mt. Dew, but I know it's loaded with a ton of crap I need to cut out.

I don't drink coffee or tea, so I have no other source of caffeine in the mornings. Suggestions?

Is there a particular brand or make for the fish oil and potassium and magnesium?

I think we are going to do a whole thread dedicated to becoming Paleo. Just working out some stuff with TWMIM.

I dont know what to tell you there buddy.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I dont know what to tell you there buddy.
Thanks Sensei, just what I was looking for. Should I snatch the pebble from your hand now, or go play with the rake in the sandbox for awhile longer.

Okay, how about brand names of fish oil, magensium and potassium that you like?

Old 09-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #29

Magnesium, I just took the crap with the least amount of additives at wal mart.

Omega Maine fish oil is the best, but I use Alaska pure

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Magnesium, I just took the crap with the least amount of additives at wal mart.

Omega Maine fish oil is the best, but I use Alaska pure
Do you get the oil and take with a spoon? Or do you get the tablets? Just looking for local sources now.