Paleo-Diet anyone?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Paleo-Diet anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4659 Times on 2320 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Default Paleo-Diet anyone?

This could probably be posted in survival as well as the club house, but since I'm speaking about general health, I'll post it here.

Has anyone heard about the Paleo-diet? I hesitate to call it a diet, as it's more of a lifestyle in some regards... In a nutshell, it's a lifestyle which runs off the idea that mankind didn't evolve with a modern intake of grains, milk, etc... The idea is to eat more like our ancestors have over the course of human history. I can't deny that it's probably better to eliminate many of the current things we call "food", but I question eliminating whole grains and oats.

Either way, I started this diet 3 days ago and have noticed an improvement in mood.

I do like the idea of eating lots and lots of meat!

Paleo Diet Lifestyle | paleo diet tips and recipes

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #2

I've been paleo for a little over a year. I had a mild gluten intolerance that was causing all sorts of problems, although I didn't know it at the time. I had a GURD, mild IBS, insomnia, circulation problems, hair loss, and was 65lbs overweight. My cholesterol and BP was high and I was at risk of going on medication. I changed my diet to the "healthy" low fat, whole grain BS. Initially I saw some modest weight loss, but none of my other problems went away. After going paleo I saw an improvement in less than a week. After 15-20 days all symptoms had disappeared and only recurred when I lapsed. And by lapsed, I mean several consecutive days of eating poorly. I've lost just over 60lbs and it came off effortlessly. My energy levels are through the roof, I don't need an alarm clock to wake up in the morning, my chronic heartburn is a thing of the past, along with the IBS (good riddance). My BP and cholesterol levels are within acceptable range. My skin and hair condition improved and I look and feel about 10 years younger. I'm usually skeptical about fad diets and miracle solutions, but this is it for me.

I highly recommend the paleo diet, just don't take it too far. Some people refuse to shave or wear shoes cause it isn't "paleo" and I think they're missing the point. I'm currently experimenting with heirloom flour which has a lower gluten content than what is widely available today. I do miss bread, so I'm hoping that I can safely add a small amount back into my diet. For a good book that has all the science but explained in layman's terms look at Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution.

Robb Wolf's website:
Robb Wolf | The Paleo Solution book and podcast | Paleo diet, Paleolithic nutrition, intermittent fasting, and fitness

Also of interest: Mark's Daily Apple

Mark Sisson has a slightly different approach (he is more accepting of things like BACON!), but the general principle is the same. Lot's of good fresh animal proteins and fresh veggies, not too much fruit, minimal dairy, and no grains or legumes.

Stick with it! The first 3 weeks or so were torture for me. After you get rid of your old bad habits it becomes pretty easy and the payoff is well worth it. Good luck!

-- boomenshutzen

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I don’t want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob

Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6472 Times on 3438 Posts
Likes Given: 482

I think its called adkins which fell out of favor cuz it was killimg people. But i could be wrong

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #4

BTW, the reason grains and legumes are bad is because the proteins contained within them (like gluten) penetrate the intestinal lumen causing a condition nasty called leaky gut. Basically, you now have fecal matter in leaking into your body giving rise to autoimmunity, which seems to be the source of MANY health problems. Autoimmunity means that your immune system is attacking your own body. I suggest you keep away from the grains and oats for at least 30 days and go from there.

Some people are less sensitive to these proteins, others not so much. After you've been strictly paleo for 30 or more days you will have a baseline to judge how certain foods make you feel. It's important to add things back into your diet slowly and one at a time. As you do, you'll either notice a difference or you won't. Some people tolerate dairy well. I do fine with rice and well washed black beans, but I have to avoid wheat products unless I want to feel like crap the next day. It feels like a bad hangover. I didn't really notice it before because I just felt awful all the time and had become used to it.

Sheesh, guess I have a lot to say about the paleo diet. Haha. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or I can post here so everyone that is interested can read.

-- boomenshutzen

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I don’t want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob

Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I think its called adkins which fell out of favor cuz it was killimg people. But i could be wrong
No, it is most definitely NOT Adkins. Adkins was all about restricting carbs, but still allowed processed foods and grains. Paleo is all about whole, unprocessed nutrient dense foods. Eating like God and nature intended.

-- boomenshutzen

Old 11-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like the idea of cooking with coconut oil and animal fats. I had never heard of it until now!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #7

Let me tell you guys. I am a skeptic the majority of the time. I laughed about some of the stuff on the paleo diet but I am now on day 4. I feel so much better I don't know how to describe it. I had a late night last night, and was up til 2 am. I had to get up at 6. I drank half a cup of coffee when I woke up today. Now normally I drink about 6-8 cups before I go out the door, and finish well over a pot a day. Let me emphasize, I LIKE coffee, I am NOT trying to quit. I just don't crave it now, it's like I don't want it really. So I decided to take a nap because I am in college now, and have to work from 8pm to 4 am, then classes all day, so I go to take a nap and can't even sleep. I kid you not, I woke up an hour into my nap and seriously felt like doing cartwheels. I'm 31, and don't know the last time I've had this much energy. I feel so good I don't even miss dairy, carbs, candy or any of that stuff.
My mood has increased so much over the past 4 days, my roommate started the paleo diet too.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #8

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I may just have to check it out. I've had a bit of weight loss and a small amount of energy boost just from taking a B12 supplement (just enough to notice, nothing earth shattering by any means). I've been wanting to lose weight for about 4 years now. I peaked at 250lbs a couple years ago. That is way too much for me. I'm currently around 220. My ideal weight is about 165-170. I really need to lose it. Heart disease and cancer run rampant in all quarters of my family, and to top that off, I smoke like a train.

I desperately need to make several lifestyle changes.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #9

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I might have to try this diet, it sure sounds good.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #10

I don't think this is psychosomatic, or "mental" in any way, but if it is, so what, I am happy. I tried this diet, in some regards, just to prove how stupid it is because I didn't believe in completely cutting grains out. I wrestled in HS and competed BJJ as well. I've done tons of diets. I threw out all my dairy, whole grain breads etc after trying this for four days. Yesterday was day 3 and last night I went and dropped a hundred bucks on vegetables, meats, coconut milk, etc. I don't know how everyone else would react to this diet, but it's pretty amazing to me. I contacted my friend who runs a BJJ school in Virginia to ask him if he's heard of this diet, and he said he was just starting it himself.