Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Over the top weather reporting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/over-top-weather-reporting-83821/)

CA357 02-09-2013 04:04 PM

Over the top weather reporting

Is it just me? How come every reasonably sized storm is now a "Weather Event"?

The winter storm on the east coast is being reported like it was the great deluge. As far as I know so far, one person died in a car crash. Now, I realize that the loss of even one life is a tragedy, but come on! Yes, there is a power outage. The sometimes happens in a storm.

Is this stupid reporting a way to drum up ratings or have we as a Country become such snivelers and pansies that any large storm is now the dreaded "Big One" or what?

I'm just sayin'.

DFlynt 02-09-2013 04:06 PM

I agree if I recall this is probably considered a light snowfall for the Buffalo area.

jjfuller1 02-09-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFlynt
I agree if I recall this is probably considered a light snowfall for the Buffalo area.

It's no fun to drive in unless your by yourself and no ones around. Hehe. But up here near buffalo it wasn't bad really. Just a normal snow storm about a foot of snow

Trez 02-09-2013 05:58 PM

Its a catastrophe!!!! Its gonna be in the 30's here... :eek: (We were getting back up to the 70's-80's.... :( )

CA357 02-09-2013 06:00 PM

Now that's not nice. ;)

Trez 02-09-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 1131009)
Now that's not nice. ;)

It isnt..... I was hoping to get my garden started this week, but now their saying were gonna have at least a week of freezing temps.

I just planted two trees im gonna have to make covers for now... :(

bobski 02-09-2013 09:24 PM

it has to be reported huge so the state will get relief funding and so insurance co.'s can allow or disallow claims.
if its reported as mild, clients cant make claims.
its all tied into legal reasons why storms are called now what they are.

the storm in new england today, 10-20 years ago would be considered just a typical winter storm. everyone knew them. everyone planned for and dealt with them.
but most people in todays world are transplants going to jobs in states theyve never been in before and dont know what to expect any given month. they are learning it for the first time.
sorta like people that buy homes in the tall pines of the sierra nevada and cry when their houses burn down.

or those who buy in the desert and wonder why snakes are in their garages and wolves eat their poodles.

or build on the coast and hurricanes blow them away.

or buy in texas and complain about heat.

or move to LA and complain about earthquakes.

or.....(add your own)

ctshooter 02-09-2013 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can tell you that the state of Connecticut is not equipped to handle this much snow. This is my suburban as a reference to how much it snowed at my house

ctshooter 02-09-2013 09:32 PM

Oh and I still can't get out of my neighborhood. The plows have not come through yet.

bamashooter68 02-09-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 1130877)

Is this stupid reporting a way to drum up ratings or have we as a Country become such snivelers and pansies that any large storm is now the dreaded "Big One" or what?

I'm just sayin'.

The media these days blows everything out of proportion and yeah people in this country have turned into a country of whiners and sissies. Ive seen more snow here in Alabama. Geez.