Out of commission. Spinal disc herniation. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Out of commission. Spinal disc herniation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Sorry to hear of your problems. I hurt my back pretty bad several years ago. Herniated the disc when my lower half went one direction and my upper half went another. Paralyzed my left leg for less than an hour. The disc had punched my sciatic nerve and pretty much stunned the leg. Had an MRI on the same day that confirmed the injury. Did physical therapy and muscle relaxers and NSAIDs. Things plateaued with me having some residual and recurring pain in the leg and back for over two years, because I had taken orders to another sub after the injury, but before the peak if recovery. Sucked it up for a couple years. Had another bad flare up after responding to an injured crew member in the dry-dock. That resulted in me being pulled from the ship and going in limited duty for a year. They tried injections for 3 months. I got no more than a few weeks of relief from those. Got scheduled with a good neuro-surgeon. He did a micro-discectomy, removing parts of the disc that were still contacting the nerve to my left leg. I could feel a difference after coming out of the recovery room, the same day of the surgery. I had gotten so accustomed to my pain level, I had forgotten what it felt like to be that close to pain free. I had more physical therapy for a while and got cleared to return to sea duty. I still have had phantom pains that the surgeon said may be from the amount if time I put up with the problem. It's been 5 years since the surgery things are pretty good still, most days. I still exercise, but I don't run distance like i used to or do a lot if high impact exercise. A mile and a half to two miles is about what my back will take without me feeling it the next day.

So, there is some hope. The neurosurgeon told me this surgery may only be a temporary fix for 5-6 years. So, we shall see, but it is better than it was for the couple if years before the surgery.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #32
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7151 Times on 3915 Posts
Likes Given: 14480

I had surgery this morning. As far as I know it was successful. I can move my legs now. The physical therapist will come later today or tomorrow and I will attempt to stand and walk. I can't wait! I have been in bed for three weeks now. I couldn't even sit in the wheelchair for more than one or two minutes.

No offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #33
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Glad to hear that.
When my fusion of L5-S1 was done, I had no pain for approx. 6 months.

Gradually, the pain returned. Now they want to go back in.
As long as I am functional, no way.

I hope everything works out for you.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1956 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I had surgery this morning. As far as I know it was successful. I can move my legs now. The physical therapist will come later today or tomorrow and I will attempt to stand and walk. I can't wait! I have been in bed for three weeks now. I couldn't even sit in the wheelchair for more than one or two minutes.

Didn't realize it was that bad. Have a speedy recovery.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2810 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1637

Hope things go well in your recovery McCool.

LISTEN TO THE DOCTORS!

Careful what you wash those meds down with.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:

speedy recovery to you Mr. McCool!

see if the Dr. will put some beer in your IV bottle!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #37
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My late wife has been caring for me while I am bedridden. She won't let me drink alcohol because of the medications.

People Like This 
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1602 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 557

The most important part is yet to come. Therapy is just as important as the surgery. Getting your back and abdomen muscles strong enough to support your spine will go a long way. I am as lazy as they come as far as doing physical therapy. But when my range of motion starts deteriorating I get busy on the exercise ball and stretching. If I don't start therapy on my own the next thing that happens is my right leg starts giving out when I walk.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
My late wife has been caring for me while I am bedridden. She won't let me drink alcohol because of the medications.
does this mean your posts will be less humorous and sarcastic until you able to drink again?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #40
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think I am going to buy one of those roman chair back and stomach exercisers. It does sit-ups and back sit-ups.
I do feel a little less smart without the booze; more dumbass than smartass.

People Like This