Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Our Toby is home! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/our-toby-home-94245/)

winds-of-change 07-22-2013 09:39 AM

Our Toby is home!

Well, it's been a long haul but I finally have Toby in my home. He's a good dog, very laid back. He gets along fine with my dogs and he shows no interest in my cat or the other small animals I have.

For some reason, he missed his flight out of LV and so all his flights were late. He was due in to O'Hare at 2303 and I got there a bit early. (The drive in was quite the experience, I might say.) When I finally found Delta Cargo, I was told his flight was delayed out of Atlanta and he won't be in to O'Hare until 0030. At this point it was 2330. So I went and sat in my car for an hour. I watched some planes land and found the workers taking break much more interesting. One guy went to his car, opened his trunk, pulled out a golf club and practiced his swing for 15 minutes or so.

Anyway, Toby finally made it to Delta Cargo and I took care of the business end of it. The Cargo guys carried Toby in the crate to my car. One of the guys said he thought the crate would fit in my back seat. He said he had "an eye" for what would fit and he was right. I lifted one end, he lifted the other and we slid the crate into my back seat.

Here's how poor, forlorn, travel weary Toby looked at that point.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...psbf7e2043.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf5c0d367.jpg

So I sat and talked to him a bit. I fed him some treats through the bars and squirted some water into one of the bowls. Then we took off for home. I stopped at the first McDonald's I saw and bought him a cheeseburger. I opened the door just a crack to put the cheeseburger in. I didn't want him to escape. He ate the cheeseburger so daintily. Liking it first, then eating it slowly.

Of course, there was lots of construction on the tollway and I missed my exit. So we took some back roads to my house. We didn't arrive home until about 0230. Good thing I'm used to being up all night. I backed into the garage, shut the garage door and Toby was standing in his cage, eager to get out. I let him out and he investigated the garage for a few minutes. I hooked him to a leash and brought him into the backyard where I hooked him to a 20 ft. cable leash staked into the ground. I went inside and let my dogs out the front door to potty. I let my dogs in and fed them. Then I let Toby in the back door and left the door to the house opened a crack. I have a hook and eye that holds the door open just enough for the cat to fit through but not my dogs. I let the dogs sniff each other through that crack. No one seemed aggressive and after about 10 minutes I let Toby up into the house. There was lots of sniffing but no scuffles at all. Right now they are all just milling around the house. My Border Collie is trying to entice Toby to play but Toby doesn't want any part of that right now. He's busy looking around the house.

I can tell you all now he is not dog aggressive or cat aggressive. He shows only a passing interest in my small animals. The final test will be to see how he reacts to my granddaughter..........under my very, VERY watchful eye. I truly don't think he'll be a problem with children, either.

So, Toby's journey is progressing nicely. As I type, my Border Collie is hopping all around Toby trying to get him to play. Toby isn't interested. :(

As you can see, Toby is full of red freckles all over. Not a single solid patch of color on him. He also has no tail. LOL He seems to be a very good dog.

This is going better than I ever hoped for. I will post more pictures after I get some sleep and the sun comes up.

sparky80 07-22-2013 10:53 AM

Glad to hear it's working out well Winds.:)

tri70 07-22-2013 12:10 PM

Good to hear he is doing well!

winds-of-change 07-22-2013 12:10 PM

Oh, goodness. I just had a heart attack moment. Toby came to me with a harness on. I noticed that the harness seemed a little loose but I figured it was on him well. I slept in the recliner for a few hours to be in the living area with the dogs. I just woke up and decided to let the dogs out. I leashed Toby and my Border Collie, Fly. I let my two little dogs out loose since they never run away. After a few minutes, I go to let them in and Fly is at the door, as are my two little girl dogs. I simply figured Toby doesn't know the routine and he was sniffing around in the shrubs. I pull his leash and reel in an empty harness. I FLIP!! I had been sleeping in a night shirt and I pulled on jeans to run outside and look for him. As I race to the front door to go find him, he's jumping at the front door to be let in. I couldn't believe it. He's only been here 4 hours and he knows this is where he belongs. I let him in and gave all the dogs a treat. When Petsmart opens, I'm going to get him fitted with a proper collar and buying him an ID tag. Toby is a VERY good dog. I'm going to see if I can talk my oldest son into taking him.

trip286 07-22-2013 12:13 PM

Ahhh...He's beautiful!

winds-of-change 07-22-2013 12:14 PM

Trip has expressed interest in owning Toby, too.

stratrider 07-22-2013 12:16 PM

That dog's "Love-dar" has a huge blip on the screen. :D

winds-of-change 07-22-2013 12:18 PM

I hope Riverrat can see how well this is all working out. His beloved dog is being well cared for and his dog is an awesome dog.

trip286 07-22-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1311527)
Trip has expressed interest in owning Toby, too.

When it comes time to find him a permanent home, and we find out for sure if he's kid friendly, which I'm sure he is.

I also will have to talk to my landlords. Considering we have a really good relationship, I think I can talk them into it pretty easily.

He would also likely be going to work with me most days, if not everyday. The plant I work out of is about 3 acres, fully fenced, and safe with no chemicals on site other than regular household cleaners and insecticides. That shouldn't be a problem unless he can open padlocks with no key. If he can, I'll get him on tv.

KJG67 07-22-2013 12:30 PM

Great job Winds!!! A happy ending!