Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ortho weed killer commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 787 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Default Ortho weed killer commercial

Saw this the other day and interested in thoughts.
Seemed cute at first, but then referenced a wave of weed 'offenses' in lawns causing 'home owners to take matters into their own hands'. This followed by some mall ninja moves with a sprayer of weed killer....
I need some nudging to fall on one side or the other on this ad, but it may offend me...

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7o5E/ortho-weed-b-gon-max-crime-files

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6920

I thought it was pretty cute and creative. What didn't you like about it?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 787 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 276

It seemed to lessen, make light of, or 'commonise' the responsibility left to the populace when LE is not available or inadequate.

If it was a bit about a clown defending their clown home with a pistol grip spray rig, painted black, the inference would be more clear....if you can make light of an issue, it will diminish the emotional pull and potentially separate it from the root of the argument.
As I said, it was cute, just concerning at some level...maybe overthinking, but it is not the door slamming that I fear, rather the slow accumulation of bricks that will frame that door someday.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1124 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Tex, when I saw the commercial, I did not take that away from it. After reading your post, however, I think your "paranoia" may be somewhat founded. Not that I think Ortho is taking direct shots at us or the 2A, but by making light of the issue, they cause people to later blow it off as a problem not to be taken seriously. Of course Ortho hired a huge media outlet to make the commercial and the creative direction was not Ortho's, the only way to convey dissatisfaction with the underlying message is to write a serious but respectful letter or email expressing your concerns and explaining why Ortho was offensive to the 46% of America that owns guns. This is what other minorities do to Wall Street and Madison Avenue so they are taken seriously in the future and you can see how effective it has been.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
It seemed to lessen, make light of, or 'commonise' the responsibility left to the populace when LE is not available or inadequate.

If it was a bit about a clown defending their clown home with a pistol grip spray rig, painted black, the inference would be more clear....if you can make light of an issue, it will diminish the emotional pull and potentially separate it from the root of the argument.
As I said, it was cute, just concerning at some level...maybe overthinking, but it is not the door slamming that I fear, rather the slow accumulation of bricks that will frame that door someday.
My friend, you are WAY, WAY overthinking this. it's just a commercial. And really, really DUMB, like most commercials
Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #6

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Over thinking this IMO, BUT that's my opinion only.. If you are bothered enough to make this thread, I'd say do as suggested and write a respectful email expressing your concern.. The reply you get may surprise ya.. Who knows

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.