Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Opinions on truck (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/opinions-truck-69928/)

texaswoodworker 08-09-2012 12:15 AM

Opinions on truck

I have been needing to get a vehicle for some time now, and if I hopefully get a job this month, I will go ahead and buy a good used vehicle. I really want a truck, but would settle for a car if that would be the best thing to do.

Here's the truck I was looking at.

http://cimages.carsforsale.com/29330...E2E591A8_4.jpg

http://cimages.carsforsale.com/29330...E2E591A8_3.jpg

http://cimages.carsforsale.com/29330...E2E591A8_1.jpg

Its a 1988 Ford f150 6 cyl. 4x4 with 122,735 miles on it, and manual transmission. They are wanting $3500 for it, but I could probably talk them down some.

What do you guys think? Will it kill me on gas? (I basically plan on going only to work/class in it). My last vehicle was a 2003 Ford Focus, so gas really wasn't a huge problem. Would I be better off getting something like that again?

Thanks in advance.

mountainman13 08-09-2012 12:24 AM

If it was diesel I'd say consider it but as it sits I'd say you're probably looking at double your gas bill and maybe a new transmission within a year. It's gotta be on its last leg. (I don't drive)

dog2000tj 08-09-2012 12:32 AM

if this vehcile is for commuting back and forth get yourself a cheapo 4cyl car. Save up your money for a quality diesel working truck when you need it.

this one has lots o miles, gonna be a gas pig and could be a maintenance money pit :o

tri70 08-09-2012 12:53 AM

It cost about 2x what its worth and its a gas hog.

dragunovsks 08-09-2012 12:55 AM

Yeah you'll spend at least double on gas vs the focus you had.

You said it was a 6cyl, is that the 300 ci inline 6cyl? Those are great engines, I know a couple guys who had them and they loved them.

I had an 88' extended cab auto with 351 (5.8 liter) and the exact same wheels. Mine was two tone also but red instead of blue with a big high rise topper and very dark windows. It didn't have OD in the tranny so it sounded like a dumptruck and got 10 mpg if I was lucky. It was a solid truck though and I could hook it to just about any trailer and go. I used to borrow my buddy's 20' equipment lowboy. That trailer weighs 4000 lbs empty and it pulled it no problem.

But if you're just looking for a daily driver I'd get a little car or a ranger if you really want a truck.

ultimate-soldier5 08-09-2012 01:18 AM

look into the late 90's and early 2000's powerstroke, its a 7.3l and they arent very expensive. i had two of them never had issues then i joined the army and sold em ended up buying an 87 f250 150 bucks to fill up both tanks, threw a rod and bought my jeep...

texaswoodworker 08-09-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 897514)
If it was diesel I'd say consider it but as it sits I'd say you're probably looking at double your gas bill and maybe a new transmission within a year. It's gotta be on its last leg. (I don't drive)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 897519)
if this vehcile is for commuting back and forth get yourself a cheapo 4cyl car. Save up your money for a quality diesel working truck when you need it.

What exactly is the benefit of diesel over gas? I know you get a little better mpg, but it also costs more too.

this one has lots o miles, gonna be a gas pig and could be a maintenance money pit :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri70 (Post 897546)
It cost about 2x what its worth and its a gas hog.

I know, but when I had the Focus, I was spending $20-$30 every two weeks for gas. So like I said, I don't drive that much, just what I need to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 897550)
Yeah you'll spend at least double on gas vs the focus you had.

You said it was a 6cyl, is that the 300 ci inline 6cyl? Those are great engines, I know a couple guys who had them and they loved them.

I had an 88' extended cab auto with 351 (5.8 liter) and the exact same wheels. Mine was two tone also but red instead of blue with a big high rise topper and very dark windows. It didn't have OD in the tranny so it sounded like a dumptruck and got 10 mpg if I was lucky. It was a solid truck though and I could hook it to just about any trailer and go. I used to borrow my buddy's 20' equipment lowboy. That trailer weighs 4000 lbs empty and it pulled it no problem.

But if you're just looking for a daily driver I'd get a little car or a ranger if you really want a truck.

I think it is the incline 6 cyl.

I'm not a huge fan of the Ranger. I don't know why, but I'm just not. So if I get a truck, it would be a full sized one. I'll probably go for a car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimate-soldier5 (Post 897583)
look into the late 90's and early 2000's powerstroke, its a 7.3l and they arent very expensive. i had two of them never had issues then i joined the army and sold em ended up buying an 87 f250 150 bucks to fill up both tanks, threw a rod and bought my jeep...

My grandparents have a 99'. It's a good truck, but working on the engine can be a pain in the butt.

Well, I really like that truck, but since it probably would be a better idea to get a car or something else for now, what do ya'll suggest? ($4000 max)

readygirl 08-09-2012 03:23 AM

Like others have said, the smart thing to do for now would be to get a little zip-zap car for the fuel mileage. Looks like it has no rust, must be a Texas thing. Here in s/w Ohio a truck that old, with that many miles would be so rusty, you would need a Tetanus shot before you could ride in it.....

dog2000tj 08-09-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 897675)
Well, I really like that truck, but since it probably would be a better idea to get a car or something else for now, what do ya'll suggest? ($4000 max)

Spend about $1500-$2000 on a used beater car that gets crazy mileage. save the additional $2-$2500 and add to it over the next year for a bigger down payment on a nicer/newer truck :)

Shihan 08-09-2012 03:32 AM

Do like me and ride a scooter. Not only cheap but fun.