opinions...tattoo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > opinions...tattoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Default opinions...tattoo

I was a Seafarer out of Hawaii for many years. Upon my recent visit back there I decided to have a Tattoo done in Maui. It's a Compass Rose with a basket-weave Hawaiian flare to it (the 'N's backwards, pic taken in a mirror). Now, I'm considering adding a small anchor to it (simulated in pic 2). The Compass is slightly tilted and the anchor could explain why as a bit of a novelty. Opinions appreciated. Is the Compass a stand alone item? Would the anchor detract from it? Thanks

best-arm-tattoo-crop-zoom-smaller2.jpg   anchor-arm-tattoo-crop-zoom-smaller4-crop.jpg  

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
I was a Seafarer out of Hawaii for many years. Upon my recent visit back there I decided to have a Tattoo done in Maui. It's a Compass Rose with a basket-weave Hawaiian flare to it (the 'N's backwards, pic taken in a mirror). Now, I'm considering adding a small anchor to it (simulated in pic 2). The Compass is slightly tilted and the anchor could explain why as a bit of a novelty. Opinions appreciated. Is the Compass a stand alone item? Would the anchor detract from it? Thanks
Personally I think the anchor detracts from a nice tatoo.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

People Like This 
Old 06-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

it all depends. on how well done the anchor is inked. i can make my suggestions, but it really is about what you like.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I like the compass a lot but I don't think the anchor goes with it. I've got one tattoo and I think a tattoo should be deeply personal

Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7768 Times on 4213 Posts
Likes Given: 16424

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak
I've got one tattoo...
I also have one tattoo. It is my wedding band. Almost nobody can stop with one.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 06-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3455 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 19279

Well , I personally don't have any tats..! Instead , I have an epic collection of scars that tell an epic tale..!

Some of the tattoos I have seen are absolutely amazing art..! The detail and color are no less breath taking..! These works are so personalized , the only one that matters is the person who chose it..! Just mind blowing art and beauty.!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

Liked 3136 Times on 1872 Posts
Likes Given: 2185

cool as is, imo.....do the anchor somewhere else if you really want an anchor.

my 2 cents.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Well , I personally don't have any tats..! Instead , I have an epic collection of scars that tell an epic tale..!

Some of the tattoos I have seen are absolutely amazing art..! The detail and color are no less breath taking..! These works are so personalized , the only one that matters is the person who chose it..! Just mind blowing art and beauty.!
bingo!

i REALLY appreciate top notch art in a tattoo, as well as a tat that tells a story of the individual in some way.

so imo....beautiful art combined with creativity and a personal connection = AWESOME!

picking a rose off the wall when drunk = MISTAKE you will regret for a long time!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #9

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

so imo....beautiful art combined with creativity and a personal connection = AWESOME!

picking a rose off the wall when drunk = MISTAKE you will regret for a long time!
I have one of each of those, but substitute the rose for a dolphin. Lol. I still like my crappy one because it reminds me of fun times, but the professionally done tattoo is much nicer to look at and has meaning.

I think the compass rose looks good as is. As mentioned, if you want an anchor you should get it done somewhere else and make it the main focus. Or that's what I would do.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I have one of each of those, but substitute the rose for a dolphin. Lol. I still like my crappy one because it reminds me of fun times, but the professionally done tattoo is much nicer to look at and has meaning.

I think the compass rose looks good as is. As mentioned, if you want an anchor you should get it done somewhere else and make it the main focus. Or that's what I would do.
hey, sometimes a reminder of youth and craziness is a statement itself ....as long as it is special to YOU.