Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   opinions...tattoo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/opinions-tattoo-93104/)

Sonic82 06-29-2013 05:23 PM

opinions...tattoo

2 Attachment(s)
I was a Seafarer out of Hawaii for many years. Upon my recent visit back there I decided to have a Tattoo done in Maui. It's a Compass Rose with a basket-weave Hawaiian flare to it (the 'N's backwards, pic taken in a mirror). Now, I'm considering adding a small anchor to it (simulated in pic 2). The Compass is slightly tilted and the anchor could explain why as a bit of a novelty. Opinions appreciated. Is the Compass a stand alone item? Would the anchor detract from it? Thanks

DFlynt 06-29-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic82 (Post 1290227)
I was a Seafarer out of Hawaii for many years. Upon my recent visit back there I decided to have a Tattoo done in Maui. It's a Compass Rose with a basket-weave Hawaiian flare to it (the 'N's backwards, pic taken in a mirror). Now, I'm considering adding a small anchor to it (simulated in pic 2). The Compass is slightly tilted and the anchor could explain why as a bit of a novelty. Opinions appreciated. Is the Compass a stand alone item? Would the anchor detract from it? Thanks

Personally I think the anchor detracts from a nice tatoo.

Axxe55 06-29-2013 05:40 PM

it all depends. on how well done the anchor is inked. i can make my suggestions, but it really is about what you like.

rurak 06-29-2013 05:42 PM

I like the compass a lot but I don't think the anchor goes with it. I've got one tattoo and I think a tattoo should be deeply personal

MisterMcCool 06-29-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurak
I've got one tattoo...

I also have one tattoo. It is my wedding band. Almost nobody can stop with one.

dango 06-29-2013 05:49 PM

Well , I personally don't have any tats..! Instead , I have an epic collection of scars that tell an epic tale..!

Some of the tattoos I have seen are absolutely amazing art..! The detail and color are no less breath taking..! These works are so personalized , the only one that matters is the person who chose it..! Just mind blowing art and beauty.! :)

hawkguy 06-29-2013 05:49 PM

cool as is, imo.....do the anchor somewhere else if you really want an anchor.

my 2 cents.

hawkguy 06-29-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango (Post 1290249)
Well , I personally don't have any tats..! Instead , I have an epic collection of scars that tell an epic tale..!

Some of the tattoos I have seen are absolutely amazing art..! The detail and color are no less breath taking..! These works are so personalized , the only one that matters is the person who chose it..! Just mind blowing art and beauty.! :)

bingo!

i REALLY appreciate top notch art in a tattoo, as well as a tat that tells a story of the individual in some way.

so imo....beautiful art combined with creativity and a personal connection = AWESOME!

picking a rose off the wall when drunk = MISTAKE you will regret for a long time!

sbeezy 06-29-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy

so imo....beautiful art combined with creativity and a personal connection = AWESOME!

picking a rose off the wall when drunk = MISTAKE you will regret for a long time!

I have one of each of those, but substitute the rose for a dolphin. Lol. I still like my crappy one because it reminds me of fun times, but the professionally done tattoo is much nicer to look at and has meaning.

I think the compass rose looks good as is. As mentioned, if you want an anchor you should get it done somewhere else and make it the main focus. Or that's what I would do.

hawkguy 06-29-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbeezy (Post 1290256)
I have one of each of those, but substitute the rose for a dolphin. Lol. I still like my crappy one because it reminds me of fun times, but the professionally done tattoo is much nicer to look at and has meaning.

I think the compass rose looks good as is. As mentioned, if you want an anchor you should get it done somewhere else and make it the main focus. Or that's what I would do.

hey, sometimes a reminder of youth and craziness is a statement itself :p....as long as it is special to YOU.