opening a safe without the combination
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > opening a safe without the combination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default opening a safe without the combination

Anyone have any secrets to cracking a safe without the combination? Ive found a safe that is 99% likely to have belonged to a famous person from my town. Ive acquired it and id like to open it. Id like to do it without destroying the safe or causing damage if i can help it. If i wanted to break it it would have been done im good at that! I dont really have money to pay a locksmith right now.

Any Ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Couple of things I do not do on the internet- give directions for the manufacture of explosives, and give instructions in surreptitious entry of safes. Both for obvious reasons.

You have provided ZERO information on make, model, type, or age of safe. Say, I'd like to do a tuneup on my truck. How do I do that?

My best SERIOUS suggestion is to take the info on what you have, find an OLD TIME locksmith, take him coffee and doughnuts, and pick his brain. A safe is MADE and INTENDED to prevent casual entry. Forget anything you have ever seen in a movie about "hearing the tumblers fall" A rotary dial combo safe uses ROUND tumbler disks- each has a slot in it- when all 3 disks have the slots aligned in the right spot, it can be opened. Better safes have a relock mechanism that activates when it detects an attempt at forcible entry, making the door harder to open (for the clutz that decides to attack the dial, etc)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Go back to where you stole it from and ask for the combination?

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Last edited by jca1; 04-18-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

One of these.

Makita 4-1/2 in. Paddle Switch Angle Grinder - GA4534 at The Home Depot

and a bunch of these.

Norton 4-1/2 in. Depressed-Center Metal Grinding Wheel for Right-Angle Cut-Off Tools - 75910 at The Home Depot

Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #5

Liked 792 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 50

You could drill a small hole so that you could see the tumblers to open it and then patch the hole when done.
Other than that I would try calling some lock smiths around and see if they know of a person that could do it without drilling the hole or if they would be able to get ahold of the safe company and see if they still have any records of it.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #6

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Let me see...a safe that you do not have the combination to that you want to open without doing damage? Do I have that right? Well unless it's one of those $30 safes you buy at Walmart you are SOL... You see the whole point of a safe is that someone cannot simply ask for the secret phrase on the internet and have it magically pop open... If you can prove ownership a locksmith MAY be able to get it open, all depends on how secure it is designed to be.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #7

If I had any info on the safe itself it would have been posted. I do not want to damage the safe itself because with the name behind it, it could be very valuable. Ive done a lot of research and was looking for an outside view. If you cant help dont bother posting. BTW spark plugs, belts, battery, oil change, air filter, points condenser, and coil if necessary are a great place to start on your truck tune up. I know these arent made to just be popped open.

I believe I can cut the hinges with minimal damage but without knowing the exact model yet I cant guarantee that the door will open. Ive thought about drilling but not until i know the model to drill the right spot.

so far I believe this safe to be a Diebold Safe from the 1930s-1950s. It is steel/concrete/steel designed.

Last edited by Immortal4419; 04-18-2011 at 05:04 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
Go back to where you stole it from and ask for the combination?
I wish it was that easy, but no one has opened this safe since 1977.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Come on.

Who's safe is it? You can tell us.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Come on.

Who's safe is it? You can tell us.
OH FINE, since ya asked. It is believed to be Danny Greene's safe. I work at a concert club on the street he lived and operated. His hows was blown up just a couple blocks down and he owned the bar we pulled this out of. They just opened this bar a few years ago and they just wanted the safe gone. Im hoping to find something even a piece of paper thats dated or signed.