Open Office
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Open Office

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Open Office

I was made aware of this program today, I went to the website checked it out and determined that I wanted to download and use it, if you would like to check it out for yourselves I think you will find it to be worth consideration, it is very similar to a Microsoft Suite Program, with one major difference it is FREE.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

+1

Open Office is an outstanding office suite that is MS-Office compatible, but it's free and completely legal. I use it and really like it.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My apologies for the deletion. I mistook it for spam due to the recent bombardment that we've been seeing.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:50 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Open office is one of the best "Unknown" programs out there. I spend a lot of time reccomending it to people who can't afford $300 for MS Office.

Open source programs are some of the most stable best programs out there. Linux which is an off shoot of Unix is better than both OS and Windows. They are more stable, take less processor and memory cycles than OS or widows.

I am in the process of starting to plan out a home file/internet server. I now have 80gig of music and video that is 80 gigs on my laptop and 80gigs on my desktop so I am losing 160gig of total HDD space. With my file server I can move it all to one spot and just link to it on my other PC. Linux will be the OS on my server. along with 2tb (terabyts) of HDD space.

Open office will do anything and everything MS Office does and it is more stable has many less bugs than MS Office and the best part it is FREE.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:17 AM   #5

Default I have been using OO.org for awhile

Open Office is a great application suite. I moved our agency to Linux 3 years ago and we have saved over $248,000 in licensing costs compared to the micro$oft computing infrastructure. I am typing this post using a Asus eeE PC running Linux. The whole laptop fits in a large jacket pocket. All solid state to. No moving parts at all on the drive.

I would sooner do calculus on an etch-a-sketch than us a Micro$oft application or operating system for serious work.

That should cause a stir..

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've not had good results with Open Office. I definately had compatibility issues between that and Micro Soft office. If I used Open Office in my own PC only... every thing was ok, if I sent a doc... it did not get to the recipient in any usable form. The recipient was not able to change, edit or salvage the doc in any usable format. Open Office particulary had problems translating bullets, symbols etc.

Due to the ill view of Sun by Micro Soft these issues will not likely be resolved. If this free software works fou you, then by all means enjoy it. I LOVE free

Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rum View Post
I've not had good results with Open Office. I definately had compatibility issues between that and Micro Soft office. If I used Open Office in my own PC only... every thing was ok, if I sent a doc... it did not get to the recipient in any usable form. The recipient was not able to change, edit or salvage the doc in any usable format. Open Office particulary had problems translating bullets, symbols etc.
That's weird. I mostly deal with documents and spreadsheets and have had no compatibility problems switching between OpenOffice and MS-Office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rum View Post
Due to the ill view of Sun by Micro Soft these issues will not likely be resolved. If this free software works fou you, then by all means enjoy it. I LOVE free
That's the bottom line: if it works for you, knock yourself out.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #8

Default no problems

interesting, neither me or any of my 350 oo.org users have had any problems using our OpenOffice aginst any of the 200 plus government agencies still using Microsoft office.

The error was probably that the document was not saved as a .doc from Open Office. You do have a large choice of formats you can save your document in Open Office. See the menu when you do a "save as."

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.