Open carry...what police think about-it... - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Open carry...what police think about-it...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I wonder if he could get you some trigger time at that tactical training place over by 61 (maybe TEES?)? That might be fun; never been myself.
Maybe I could do that in lieu of money for work? Sounds like a winner to me, I never even knew of the place. I'll have to talk to him about it if he calls me.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Maybe I could do that in lieu of money for work? Sounds like a winner to me, I never even knew of the place. I'll have to talk to him about it if he calls me.
..Welcome!- - - Mid-South Institute of Self Defense Shooting I think this is the website for the place i am thinking about. Various agencies have used it in the past. I seem to recall a SEAL getting shot there some time ago. I never heard anything bad about the facilities or instruction.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #83

Quote:
..Welcome!- - - Mid-South Institute of Self Defense Shooting I think this is the website for the place i am thinking about. Various agencies have used it in the past. I seem to recall a SEAL getting shot there some time ago. I never heard anything bad about the facilities or instruction.
OOOOHHHH..... nice. I may have to look into that some more. So how'd the SEAL supposedly get shot?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #84

Due to World Events, as of January 2005, we are only booking Courses for U.S. Military, U.S. Government Agencies and State or Local Law Enforcement Agencies. We must have 8 or more people from a single Unit to book a Course. These Groups may call us at 662.781.1112 to check for open dates.

Bummer. I'd have to get in there as a favor. Seems to be no other way, unless they'd be willing to let vets in.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I'd have to get in there as a favor. Seems to be no other way, unless they'd be willing to let vets in.
That is about what i have heard over the past few years. Maybe the local cop knows a way to work it out.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #86

Quote:
That is about what i have heard over the past few years. Maybe the local cop knows a way to work it out.
One could only hope...

Have you heard anything about the Como Range?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Nope, have lost touch with most people in the area. Como is an interesting place, though. It had a POW camp for Germans in WW2. They were well treated.

edit* One of the POW's built a replica of some castle or keep or whatever out of gravel for one of the camp administrators. It was still in one piece on the north side of hwy 4, beside dude's mailbox, just on the edge of Senatobia headed for hwy 3 junction, last time i drove that way, a few years ago. It was about four feet in diameter, IIRC. Senatobia was an odd place. Saw the biggest turtle i've ever seen just down from that gravel replica at a lil restaurant, chained to the dumpster. The guy that caught it claimed it was near 100 years old; it was about 5 feet in diameter and had shifted the dumpster some. I understand he sold it to the Memphis zoo, not sure. Swim with care in the Coldwater.

Last edited by orangello; 11-28-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #88

I learn something every day. Huh. That's just unexpected.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #89

Quote:
Deputy: No. I trust ya. But I think your supposed to at least inform a cop if your pulled over.

Me: I don't think so, I think it's just considered a good idea to do so. I've read the state carry laws, and don't remember any such thing as having to inform, only having to produce the permit if requested.

Deputy: Oh, you may be right. I'll have to look into it....
I've had a Texas CHL (concealed handgun license) since '98. There have been MANY changes over the years... most becoming less and less restrictive. CHL holders can carry in a *LOT* more places now than they could when I first got my license. Churches, banks, city government buildings (police stations, fire stations, etc...)

I haven't been to the update course yet, but I will soon, because my license expires next month. I heard a rumor that licensees are no longer required to provide their CHL when a cop asks for ID... whether they're armed or not.

As an LEO, I've never pressed the issue. When I run someone's driver's license or ID, dispatch notifies me if they're a CHL holder. I may ask if they're armed, but USUALLY, it's a non-issue with me... I expect everyone to have a loaded firearm in their vehicle when I pull them over, and work with that assumption. That doesn't mean I feel threatened by working with that assumption, I just approach EVERYONE with that level of caution.

My point is, I recognize the CHL laws here in Texas change quite frequently. I can't expect CHL holders to keep up with all of the changes better than I can... and I'm LEO *AND* a CHL holder. A gun generally won't get someone in trouble with me unless they're bein' stupid with it.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #90

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If its LEGAL in my State I would not care what they thought