Open carry...what police think about-it... - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Open carry...what police think about-it...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Open carry, i've never been into it unless you count an occaisional sidearm while doing a lil light hiking. If lots of people open carried, it would probably have a serious deterrent effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
You know...it just occurred to me...literally sitting right here reading through some of these
posts...

I just flat don't care. I mean, I really don't. All the arguing back and forth is like 9mm vs 45. It's a lot like spoiled children at daycare fighting over a freaking coloring book.

I was a cop for over 2 decades. I served with integrity and bravery. I did my job the best way I could. I never took a nickel that wasn't in my paycheck. I never took a free meal. I never laid an asshuppin' on someone out of vengefulness. I never did anyting to embarrass my badge. I never lied, and I never covered another cop just because he was a cop.

What am I getting at? The bashing doesn't apply to me, or any of the other hundreds of thousands of officers who get up, pin on their badge, and do the best job they can every single day. You know the ones...those who would put themselves between a bullet and YOUR child. The officer who would run INTO a burning building before fire and ems arrived on scene because he or she thought a child was calling for help...you know...those cops. It just doesn't apply.

So...you know what? Bash on. Get it out of your system. Lay it at our door. Because one thing is certain...every good man and woman who wears the uniform has the BALLS to take that and a whole lot more.

To the douchebags who abuse their badge and uniform...well...they aren't MY brothers and sisters anyway.
Good reaction! Good cops shouldn't be bothered, as they didn't screw up.

Last edited by orangello; 11-22-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #32

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
You know...it just occurred to me...literally sitting right here reading through some of these posts...

I just flat don't care. I mean, I really don't. All the arguing back and forth is like 9mm vs 45. It's a lot like spoiled children at daycare fighting over a freaking coloring book.

I was a cop for over 2 decades. I served with integrity and bravery. I did my job the best way I could. I never took a nickel that wasn't in my paycheck. I never took a free meal. I never laid an asshuppin' on someone out of vengefulness. I never did anyting to embarrass my badge. I never lied, and I never covered another cop just because he was a cop.

What am I getting at? The bashing doesn't apply to me, or any of the other hundreds of thousands of officers who get up, pin on their badge, and do the best job they can every single day. You know the ones...those who would put themselves between a bullet and YOUR child. The officer who would run INTO a burning building before fire and ems arrived on scene because he or she thought a child was calling for help...you know...those cops. It just doesn't apply.

So...you know what? Bash on. Get it out of your system. Lay it at our door. Because one thing is certain...every good man and woman who wears the uniform has the BALLS to take that and a whole lot more.

To the douchebags who abuse their badge and uniform...well...they aren't MY brothers and sisters anyway.
This is the same reason I leave bashers of the military alone too. It doesn't matter to me, and doesn't reflect on my personal service, and I have absolutely no love for any of those that have disgraced my uniform or my country.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #33

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
All the arguing back and forth is like 9mm vs 45.
WHAT!!
Who says that??

Who says there's even an argument about which is better?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #34
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
The bashing doesn't apply to me, or any of the other hundreds of thousands of officers who get up, pin on their badge, and do the best job they can every single day.
Well said AZL. I had actually come to the same epiphany just before I read your response (of course from a civilian perspective).

I was asking myself if those LEOs who see the criticism of bad cops here on this forum to be a condemnation of Law Enforcement Officers as a whole, they really need to do some introspective analysis as to why it bothers them so much.

From my perspective I have read posts about bad parents or bad fathers here and elsewhere (and as you might gather from my username I am proud to be a father of two very fine teenage boys), the most recent was one about that piece of $hit judge in Texas beating his 16 year old daughter, and I do not take any offense personally hearing about people like that because it doesn't apply to me at all. I condemned his behavior roundly and I also took to task those who defended such brutal behavior.

If you are a righteous cop then you should not defend the actions of those cops who do not hold the same standards in their service.

I truly do value the input of all of you LEOs who contribute here and hope you take to heart what AZL and myself are saying.

The relationship between citizens and LEOs has in recent years become more and more confrontational. Both sides need to take responsibility for that in order for anything to change.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Let's just keep beating dead horses around here.

I'll be the a-hole and actually SAY something about it.
And my whole statement was
Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Some think it's a great idea and wished more would carry, i.e. the couple of sheriff's who have publicly suggested they can no longer protect, and then there's others who think they should be the only ones allowed to own, much less carry, i.e. the nut case LEO in OH.
Seems to me I also gave credit to LEO's that recognize the benefit to those that carry.

In my own little town, we have one police officer who regularly violates the law and a Sargent that decided to single handily close down anyplace that serves alcohol because he doesn't believe it it legal. And yet, one of the friendliest people (and neighbor), is a fantastic LEO in the same department. An ex neighbor held a huge teen (drinking) party that was visited at least twice by the dept, and yet when I talked to the chief, the officer on duty denied they knew anything about it as nobody had called it in, and even better went back to the homeowner and told him I had talked to the chief. Turns out the officer that responded went to HS with the homeowner. So yeah, there are good and bad, but the profession seems to attract both the high and lows.

Returning to the discussion, the couple of LEO's I've talked to believe it's actually a deterrent, but worry if all the people carrying are truly capable of actually handling a firearm in a high stress environment.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #36

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Specify...but don't generalize...

Old 11-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Quote:
Specify...but don't generalize...
Personal conversation with the Sgt... He said "I'm going to make sure every business that serves alcohol in the city is shut down because the people don't want it and it's illegal". Oh, and he added he has never had one drop of alcohol his entire life.

Different officer was marking tires of every auto in the parking lot of establishments that served alcohol and sitting down the road away and pulling every one of the cars over. Actually earned an award from MADD. One of the bar owners had come to city council begging them to stop the illegal targeted enforcement. Unintended consequence, city lost a big block of state revenue sharing which came from state sales tax receipts. We now go for several hours during the week without any patrols.

I was in the station turning in the state required forms for a firearm purchase and asked the chief why the party had been allowed to continue (my daughter had been there and came home and told us the police had shown up twice). That's when the chief asked the LEO on duty that night if they had gone to the party. He said no, and even "looked it up" on the computer saying they had no records of any visit. Funny how a message came back to me from the homeowner to butt out of his business, he has the right friends.

So no, these weren't generalizations...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #38

Liked 263 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
If we had open carry in Florida, I still don't think I would use that option. It is just such a bigger advangage to have a stealth weapon than an exposed one.

No one expects this grey haired old man to have a 1911 on his hip, and I like it that way.
I'd like to see open carry in fl. My way of thinking is if they saw someone with a 1911 on their hip theyd probably be less inclined to try to roll that individual for their money or well whatever situation they plan on implementing. Alas I could be wrong though.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #39

The idea of "open carry" isn't being the one guy carrying openly in a 7-11 that's being robbed... the idea of "open carry" is EVERYBODY in the 7-11 carrying openly. It's not about being the "one guy the robber shoots first because he can see I have a gun," it's EVERYBODY wearing a gun so the would-be robber figures he wouldn't make it out alive if he decided to try robbing the 7-11 in the first place.

As far as the "cop bashing" argument, there's really no argument. It's happening, and folks here can "defend it" all they want... but it doesn't change the fact that it's happening. AZL may not "care" that it's happening, but that, too, doesn't change the fact that others--both LEO and non-LEO--don't like like it. Many are just quietly going elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
i.e. the nut case LEO in OH.
He wasn't simply a "nut case," he was a "nut case LEO." If he had been a plumber, he wouldn't have been the "nut case plumber," he'd have just been a "nut case."

So, let's interject this video every time LEOs' opinions are asked here... I mean, why the hell would any LEO on here give his or her opinion when you could just reference this video?? And keep wondering WHY it's "us vs. them"...

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
He wasn't simply a "nut case," he was a "nut case LEO." If he had been a plumber, he wouldn't have been the "nut case plumber," he'd have just been a "nut case."
John Wayne Gacy was the "killer clown". Bill Clinton was the (a) philandering President. If it is a big screw-up, people remember your work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
I'd like to see open carry in fl. My way of thinking is if they saw someone with a 1911 on their hip theyd probably be less inclined to try to roll that individual for their money or well whatever situation they plan on implementing. Alas I could be wrong though.
I can definately see some open carry advantages in the heat of FL, some of those would apply here in MS too, comfort-wise. I think in hot, swampy places it should just be "carry", concealed in whole or in part.