Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Open carry...what police think about-it...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Ours change frequently too, but I read the most updated laws just this past June, so I'm pretty sure my info is up to date, except for any changes that may not have hit the library yet. There is a change coming, if it's not here already, we will soon have an "Enhanced Permit" you can get with taking an approved course. I like the idea, but didn't see much benefit to it over what I already have. There are a few more places an Epermit holder will be allowed to carry, but I don't think there's many more, and I haven't read all the details anyway. The one I have suits my needs, although I would love to legally be able to carry on college campus. But I'll be done with college next fall, would be sooner, but the 2 more classes I need won't be offered until then.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
... and I'm LEO *AND* a CHL holder.
I don't think i have ever asked, but why do you need a CHL as an LEO? Is it just because you already had the CHL? I thought LEO's basically had an automatic CHL as soon as they finished training or something along those lines.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #93

Not in Texas if you're off duty.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #94

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I don't think i have ever asked, but why do you need a CHL as an LEO? Is it just because you already had the CHL? I thought LEO's basically had an automatic CHL as soon as they finished training or something along those lines.
Lots of officers carry a civilian CCW as well as their badge and ID. In some departments, with your badge you may ONLY carry your issued weapon or approved off-duty weapon. However, with a CCW, you can carry anything you like. It's mostly a BS paperwork and rules thing.

As soon as civilian CCW's were available here in AZ, though I was an officer, I took the class and got one. Now that I am retired, I have my "nationwide ccw" through HR218 LEOSA.

Another reason why a LOT of officers get a civilian CCW is that IF they get laid off, and have no ccw, they may not be able to continue to carry. If you are suspended pending investigation (assuming a BS charge) you can no longer carry on the strength of your badge, which will very likely be pulled from you anyway...but your ccw will still be valid.

Since the pasage of HR218...cops can carry nationwide, so most of the above is moot. Some departments, such as San Francisco PD have actually discouraged officers from off-duty carry during some regimes. I worked with a lateral who came from SFPD, and I couldn't believe it when he told me that.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #95

Everything AZL said.

...I've had my CHL since '98, long before I became a LEO. I maintain my CHL because my badge only allows me to carry what I qualify with... on or off duty. Also, if I were to purchase a personal firearm, I get to by-pass the instant FBI background check... LEOs aren't exempt in Texas. Maintaining my CHL also requires me to go through the updates every 6 years, so I'm usually more "up" on the current CHL laws than other LEOs. I'm not interested in jamming up CHL holders for petty B.S., but it helps knowing the rules when dealing with CHL holders. I may not say anything, but if a CHL holder blatantly breaks one of the rules, and I recognize it as such, I may wonder to myself what OTHER rules the CHL holder is willing to break.

Also, nothing in this life is guaranteed... I could get laid off tomorrow. I always have that "buffer" until I find another dept. to carry my commission.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I guess that does make sense. I didn't think they were that limiting on what you could carry.

In MS, there is a clause that supposedly makes LEO's "on duty" 25/7, which i have always taken to mean they were to carry 24/7.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #97

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I guess that does make sense. I didn't think they were that limiting on what you could carry.

In MS, there is a clause that supposedly makes LEO's "on duty" 25/7, which i have always taken to mean they were to carry 24/7.
In some places...but that's not nationwide. In Arizona...POST certified and employed by any state, local, or county agency makes you a cop ALL over the state, and thereofre no place in the state (other than indian reservations, and federal properties) is "out of your jurisdiction". For example...if I were transporting a suspect from Tucson to Phoenix, and saw a speeder for example in Marana...I could cite them. I wouldn't because both MY boss and Marana would have an issue about use of resources blah blah blah...BUT it could be done and be legal.

In Michigan...an officer from Flint for example is out of his/her jurisdiction in Burton unless they see a felony in progress. It's mottled all over the country. Many Sheriff's Departments in MI cross-deputize neighboring deputies for mutual assistance purposes.

I believe in Texas (or it used to be) an officer was "an officer in their county in which their commission is carried".

Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
I believe in Texas (or it used to be) an officer was "an officer in their county in which their commission is carried".
I'm a Texas Peace Officer... I can't arrest or cite for misdemeanors outside of my jurisdiction, but I can effect a fugitive, felony, or breach of peace arrest outside of my jurisdiction.

...but I can still carry anywhere in the country.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #99

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I'm a Texas Peace Officer... I can't arrest or cite for misdemeanors outside of my jurisdiction, but I can effect a fugitive, felony, or breach of peace arrest outside of my jurisdiction.

...but I can still carry anywhere in the country.
I worked a joint task force with El Paso PD years ago...94-95...and we had to get a deputy from Deaf Smith County involved when we had to travel over there to interview a witness.

Thank God for HR218 LEOSA...I love being able to carry in NYC, Chicago, and COMMIEFORNIA...lol.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Thank God for HR218 LEOSA...
+infinity to the infinite power

A year ago, I'm coming home from Indiana, and got pulled over in Illinois. As the deputy approached, I told him I was armed... as I'm digging for my CHL (out of habit). He asked, "Are you a police officer?"

Then, it hit me... I'm digging through my wallet BEHIND MY DEPARTMENTAL ID... (smack on the forehead). My Texas CHL carries absolutely NO WEIGHT in IL.

Then, I bring my off duty Glock to Commifornia with *GASP* Hi-Cap mags! If I weren't LEO, that would be a FELONY!

I'm waiting for the rights of the CITIZENS to catch up with the privileges of LEO to catch up... but my patience is running thin.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376