Open carry...what police think about-it...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Open carry...what police think about-it...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default Open carry...what police think about-it...

I was thinking if I was a cop and seen somebody with open-carry..What's the first thing going to be to cross my mined...Impersonating a police officer,or who is this guy...Anybody know how there trained to deal with that???...I was just woundering....I guess it happens all the time somewhere....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I’m not a LEO, but if I was I’d think; ‘This guy’s okay because he’s not trying to hide it’.
Quickly followed by, ‘Except maybe he’s trying to fool me into thinking he’s okay by not hiding it’.
But then I’d think 'I’m probably just being paranoid and he really is probably okay’.
Except that, 'I’m a LEO and I’d better check him out to make sure because that’s my job and I'd be negligent if I didn't'.
Followed by, 'Geez, I sure hope he's okay because I sure don't want to get in a gun fight today'.

Like I said, I'm not a LEO.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8841 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Depends on where you are- training, policy and procedure will vary greatly- along with WHERE is the person carrying.

Walking into a public business- gas station, Mickey Dees, etc, would probably get a different reaction than walking into a college.

Here- basically a gun friendly state, thought process is probably something like "Looks old enough to possess. Does not look like raving loonie. Behavior fits the 95% normal pattern. Not illegal. Minimal response from people around them (no one fleeing in panic from something I did not see). Nice Colt."

Philly? "GET ON THE GROUND!"

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What's that policy? Oh yeah, probable cause.

I know how the LEOS, in my town handle it. If you look straight, they may ask for your permit. If you don't look straight, they WILL ask for your permit. In my mom's town, every one knows everyone, so the LEOS already know if your straight, and don't really care if you have a permit. As long as they know your not a felon.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #5

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Where I live people look at you funny when your NOT carrying a gun...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 869 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Some think it's a great idea and wished more would carry, i.e. the couple of sheriff's who have publicly suggested they can no longer protect, and then there's others who think they should be the only ones allowed to own, much less carry, i.e. the nut case LEO in OH.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

Liked 2502 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 2409

I didn't hear about the nut case LEO in Ohio. What happened?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #8

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I guess they train them on how to deal with people in many ways....

Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #9

Liked 1449 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 337

If we had open carry in Florida, I still don't think I would use that option. It is just such a bigger advangage to have a stealth weapon than an exposed one.

No one expects this grey haired old man to have a 1911 on his hip, and I like it that way.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live in Las Vegas and open carry quite a bit. As for LEO responses, they don't really give it much attention. As an example, I was in a Mickey D's waiting for my order when a Metro motorcycle officer came in and ordered some food. He noticed the Sig on my hip and we spent the time waiting for our food to arrive discussing the pros and cons of my weapon (Sig) and his weapon (Glock).

The only "looks" I got were the wide-eyed "Oh my God he has a gun" looks from the Kommiefornia tourists that were sitting in the store eating.