Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
I've read articles over the years and on other forums on this subject,I myself perfer concealed,but at times depending on the size of the gun and the type of holster being used I've had to carry open(at least here in Indiana you can carry open).As far as i am concerned for this debate, I look at both open carry and concealed carry as options-not opposites
I agree with your reasoning and common sense. In my State, we have the opition of both but I feel it serves no purpose in exposing the fact that I'm armed while in public.

There might be times when my brother and I stop for lunch after range shooting, at which time I might have larger pistols or revolvers on my person. I always wear a Banana Republic expedition vest to cover these larger pieces from public view, after the range, but don't really disguise the fact as I would when going about normal routine business with my carry pieces.

These cowboys who like to flaunt their tupperware in public, while getting their thrills to open carry, is beyond me. I prefer the options because it's always possible that a firearm might be exposed for some reason or another.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #12

I have a CCW but still open carry, sometimes I'll let my shirt hang over it.

If you can see the big picture your not concentrating on the front sight post كافر

Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAction View Post
I agree with your reasoning and common sense. In my State, we have the opition of both but I feel it serves no purpose in exposing the fact that I'm armed while in public.

There might be times when my brother and I stop for lunch after range shooting, at which time I might have larger pistols or revolvers on my person. I always wear a Banana Republic expedition vest to cover these larger pieces from public view, after the range, but don't really disguise the fact as I would when going about normal routine business with my carry pieces.

These cowboys who like to flaunt their tupperware in public, while getting their thrills to open carry, is beyond me. I prefer the options because it's always possible that a firearm might be exposed for some reason or another.
It amazes me that there are posters on a pro-gun discussion forum that only believe in the part of the 2nd amendment that says, "to keep." People such as I, that on occasion, carry in the open are not the "cowboys that flaunt tupperware" that you seem to label them as, whatever that even means... The practice is taken very seriously and it is done while obeying all applicable laws. Helping to Desensitize a pathetically hoplophobic public should be a primary mission for all those that believe in the true meaning of the 2nd amendment and constitutional rights in general.

If you'd like to debate the concept of carrying openly versus concealed and the tactical advantages or disadvantages to one or the other, that's one thing. But to make comments that divide the 2nd amendment community isn't helpful. We are all on the same side. I support the carriage of arms...period. How that's done is that person's business and I'll support it and fight for that right regardless if I would do it that way or not.

Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Last edited by Flintlock; 03-03-2008 at 09:12 AM.
redscho Likes This 
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
Actually, I prefer "Vermont-style" concealed carry over anything else.

Unless their laws have changed in the last few years, you can carry CONCEALED in Vermont WITHOUT a permit, fee, waiting period, fingerprinting etc.

Of course, felons and a few other select groups aren't allowed to. You also have to be of legal age to own a handgun.

All things considered, it beats the heck out of state laws that require a permit, fingerprinting etc.
You can carry any firearm anywhere in Vermont(except of course Federal property, state courthouses and prisons, and schools). Open or concealed. No nothing except legally able to own a firearm (no felony convictions, domestic violence convictions, under a restraining order, illicit drug use). No "permission slip", registration etc. There are no age restrictions on carrying, but must have parents consent for a handgun if under 16. (Title 13, Vermont Statutes Annotated, Section(s)4001-4016). I know we don't have any big cities or massive population centers, but still the lowest crime rate everything being relative. Maybe that'll change when the ultra liberals in charge decide marijuana should be legal.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

concealed, I'm a smaller guy so I beleive if I was to carry open, the chance of getting jumped and my firearm taken in greater. If concealed and jumped
I'm the only one who knows I'm packing.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
concealed, I'm a smaller guy so I beleive if I was to carry open, the chance of getting jumped and my firearm taken in greater. If concealed and jumped
I'm the only one who knows I'm packing.
Well, I think that there are certainly holster options available out there that offer excellent retension, if that would be a concern. I conceal most of the time myself for comfort and certain tactical advantages depending on the situaiton or the day but I absolutely support the means to do both if one so chooses. When I carry openly, I use a Blackhawk CQC Serpa and I am confident that my firearm won't be swiped by anyone and it would be very risky for someone to attempt to do so anyway.

I find that when I open carry, most people don't even notice.. They are totally oblivious to their surroundings and are like cattle. If you are dressed decently, have a good retension holster, and practice situational awareness, you should not have any problems.

IMHO, I think criminals avoid people that have guns, not the other way around..

Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Last edited by Flintlock; 03-03-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #17

Likes Given: 2

There are people like me that are not allowed to open carry because I'm not a citizen and am not allowed to CCW so when I do get my weapon I'll Open carry

John W J
Heart in Australia
Body In New Mexico
http://opencarry.com/

Old 03-04-2008, 04:33 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you have not seen it check out youtube and type in dan sayers. This took place in oregon ohio. he was open carrying and someone called the cops. you will see a lot of poor gun handleing in the video also. With all of that though i still belive that it should be an option and you should carry the way that makes you feel most comfortable. I live in ohio and we are an open carry state but the way the laws are make it so that when you get in the car you have to unarm yourself unload the firearm and then store the wepon and the bullets in different places so that you can not get to one of them with out exiting the car. that is unless you are a chl holder. Just make sure you know your states laws either way. Anthony

Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #19

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have never really given this subject much thought, but after reading all your posts, I am left torn between the two. On one hand, to carry a firearm in the open would definately be throwing up a flag to those who would otherwise intend to do you harm, while at the same time, in a sense, provide the small chance that your firearm may be used against you if approached from the rear.

On the other hand, carrying concealed would give you the same protection as an open weapon, but lacks the "Hey, he has a gun, so I'll rob the next guy" appeal, possibly making you more of a target. Concealed does have a pretty good "Surprise" factor for the unsuspecting mugger, though.

From what I make of it, it's six of one, a half dozen of the other.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
I have never really given this subject much thought, but after reading all your posts, I am left torn between the two. On one hand, to carry a firearm in the open would definately be throwing up a flag to those who would otherwise intend to do you harm, while at the same time, in a sense, provide the small chance that your firearm may be used against you if approached from the rear.

On the other hand, carrying concealed would give you the same protection as an open weapon, but lacks the "Hey, he has a gun, so I'll rob the next guy" appeal, possibly making you more of a target. Concealed does have a pretty good "Surprise" factor for the unsuspecting mugger, though.

From what I make of it, it's six of one, a half dozen of the other.
When you say "surprise factor" or "tactical advantage" in reference to concealed carry, it seems to me as if you are hiding your weapon with hopes that someone will do something so you can use it; and for some i am pretty sure this is solely why they choose concealed over open carry. This is why i lean more towards open carry. So what if someone calls the police because im carrying a gun. As long as i have my license i dont care. They can call the cops all they want to. I will gladly show them my little piece of plastic an go on about my business. The more the people see you with it, the more they learn to accept it, and you are less likely to be put in a situation where you might have to use the weapon. In my opinion, the chance of you having your gun taken while open carrying is way less than having to draw a concealed weapon because some idiot decided he wanted to cause a big scene and didnt see a weapon on you. Like i said, just my opinion.

Closed Thread