Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate

I've read articles over the years and on other forums on this subject,I myself perfer concealed,but at times depending on the size of the gun and the type of holster being used I've had to carry open(at least here in Indiana you can carry open).As far as i am concerned for this debate, I look at both open carry and concealed carry as options-not opposites

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #2

I've got to agree with you, Here in TN we are not a CCW state, but a Handgun Carry state. we dont have to carry conceled, but 90% of the instructors, cops, and people I know, carry conceled. mainly just b/c it makes life simpler & your not constatly stopped by the cops b/c some idiot called the cops with the typical line of;

"Yea, I'm at the gas station, and there is this big guy with a gun....yes, I think hes going to rob the place"

So always carry conceled, unless I'm at the house or somewhere where I know I wont be botherd for carrying in the open.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I do most of my carrying in the woods, so I carry in the open. When it comes to dangerous animals, the extra quarter second gained by carrying in the open could mean life or death. We also have a sizable problem around here with marijuana plantations and methamphetmine labs. The visual deterrent can be enough when dealing with the people who are camped out on these.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Both are good!

Free men and women shouldn't be restricted from choosing either option.

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I do most of my carrying in the woods, so I carry in the open. When it comes to dangerous animals, the extra quarter second gained by carrying in the open could mean life or death. We also have a sizable problem around here with marijuana plantations and methamphetmine labs. The visual deterrent can be enough when dealing with the people who are camped out on these.
In the city I can see no reason to carry open. In the woods / forest / desert / jungle / whatever, I can see no reason NOT TO.

Now that I've re-discoveredwheel guns, this is my present woods carry gun. Taurus 617, .357 mag. 7 shooter. Plus, while in the mountains I usually have a long gun handy as well. Lots of marijuana grows and meth heads here too.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #6

I have to agree, it should be an option. When I lived in Arizona and before I got my CCW I always open carried. Now that I live in SC and have my permit I find I'm more comfortable carrying concealed.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #7

Likes Given: 2

If you want to know if your state allows you to open carry try this site

http://opencarry.com/

John W J
Heart in Australia
Body In New Mexico
http://opencarry.com/

Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

suprise is your best friend. In virginia you can open carry with out any kind of permit. That being said I only open carry on the way to the range. I do not have my CCW yet. But for me I would rather not everyone know I am packing.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 AM   #9

I agree as posted above... Too much crap for OC'ing... You've got the tin-foils going nuts when they see a gun.

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 02-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, I prefer "Vermont-style" concealed carry over anything else.

Unless their laws have changed in the last few years, you can carry CONCEALED in Vermont WITHOUT a permit, fee, waiting period, fingerprinting etc.

Of course, felons and a few other select groups aren't allowed to. You also have to be of legal age to own a handgun.

All things considered, it beats the heck out of state laws that require a permit, fingerprinting etc.

Closed Thread