Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/open-carry-vs-concealed-carry-debate-2997/)

Tony Soprano 01-13-2008 11:48 AM

Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate

I've read articles over the years and on other forums on this subject,I myself perfer concealed,but at times depending on the size of the gun and the type of holster being used I've had to carry open(at least here in Indiana you can carry open).As far as i am concerned for this debate, I look at both open carry and concealed carry as options-not opposites :p

Goomba 01-13-2008 03:11 PM

I've got to agree with you, Here in TN we are not a CCW state, but a Handgun Carry state. we dont have to carry conceled, but 90% of the instructors, cops, and people I know, carry conceled. mainly just b/c it makes life simpler & your not constatly stopped by the cops b/c some idiot called the cops with the typical line of;

"Yea, I'm at the gas station, and there is this big guy with a gun....yes, I think hes going to rob the place"

So always carry conceled, unless I'm at the house or somewhere where I know I wont be botherd for carrying in the open.

matt g 01-13-2008 04:47 PM

I do most of my carrying in the woods, so I carry in the open. When it comes to dangerous animals, the extra quarter second gained by carrying in the open could mean life or death. We also have a sizable problem around here with marijuana plantations and methamphetmine labs. The visual deterrent can be enough when dealing with the people who are camped out on these.

ScottG 01-13-2008 05:23 PM

Both are good!

Free men and women shouldn't be restricted from choosing either option.

pioneer461 01-15-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 14198)
I do most of my carrying in the woods, so I carry in the open. When it comes to dangerous animals, the extra quarter second gained by carrying in the open could mean life or death. We also have a sizable problem around here with marijuana plantations and methamphetmine labs. The visual deterrent can be enough when dealing with the people who are camped out on these.

In the city I can see no reason to carry open. In the woods / forest / desert / jungle / whatever, I can see no reason NOT TO.

Now that I've re-discoveredwheel guns, this is my present woods carry gun. Taurus 617, .357 mag. 7 shooter. Plus, while in the mountains I usually have a long gun handy as well. Lots of marijuana grows and meth heads here too.

GreenAmmo 01-16-2008 12:41 PM

I have to agree, it should be an option. When I lived in Arizona and before I got my CCW I always open carried. Now that I live in SC and have my permit I find I'm more comfortable carrying concealed.

aussierogue 01-16-2008 10:19 PM

If you want to know if your state allows you to open carry try this site :D :cool:

http://opencarry.com/

cpttango30 01-17-2008 02:05 AM

suprise is your best friend. In virginia you can open carry with out any kind of permit. That being said I only open carry on the way to the range. I do not have my CCW yet. But for me I would rather not everyone know I am packing.

SimonTuffGuy 02-14-2008 12:49 AM

I agree as posted above... Too much crap for OC'ing... You've got the tin-foils going nuts when they see a gun.

Defender 02-14-2008 04:54 AM

Actually, I prefer "Vermont-style" concealed carry over anything else.

Unless their laws have changed in the last few years, you can carry CONCEALED in Vermont WITHOUT a permit, fee, waiting period, fingerprinting etc.

Of course, felons and a few other select groups aren't allowed to. You also have to be of legal age to own a handgun.

All things considered, it beats the heck out of state laws that require a permit, fingerprinting etc.