Open Carry - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BLS33, you reminded me of a story.

My mom, who is now older, and does not find someone carrying a pistol to be all the odd, used to work as a bank teller trainer. One day, while working the front, a guy comes in to rob the bank. He pulls a revolver, and hands her a note. She reads the note, looks at the guy, leans closer to him, and asks him if he is sure that he wants to do this (drugged out guy...). He answers yes, so she gives him the money, a tracer, and one of those red bombs. They caught him in a ladies dressing room in a store 1 block away in 10 minutes. When interviewed by the police on WHY she would lean closer, she replied "He had a Colt .38 revolver (can't remember which one), and I could clearly see that it was not loaded". They absolutely could not believe it. Country gals for you.. Yes, my parents still shoot regularly.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 11-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidah View Post
When my wife and I lived in CT, we did not find this to be a problem at all. We were always treated fairly in each situation. Maybe it depends on where you are doing it.

-Bidah
Car wash, Middletown Ct. 7:30 am, Leaning over to vacuum the carpet in my truck, my light jacket apearantly slipped over the barrel of my .45 Colt. When I turned around, two plainclothes detectives from the local department were standing there, and hemmed me up into the space between the door and the truck. Not displaying a badge, or stating thier business, that alone could have been bad news. They then ran me into the ground with the threat of arrest, confiscation, and loss of permit because they could clearly see my weapon as I vacuumed my truck. 30 minutes of calls, and more attitude, they finally let me go. A clear abuse of power, and a self absorbed interpretation of the law. I should add that I have the greatest respect for the law,and the police as a whole. My closest friend is a narcotics detective, and is also on the SRT team, and I have two police officers in the family. I simply dispise the clear abuse that some considder thier right when they wear a badge.

Last edited by firebrand45; 11-01-2007 at 01:05 AM.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3011 Times on 1570 Posts
Likes Given: 287

Default open carry

Texas law does not make a distinction between open carry and concealed carry except for CCW permit holders. They MUST keep the handgun concealed. Open carry is the same as concealed carry under the law. The law is simply Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon. Class A misdemeanor, one year in jail and 4K fine.
There is a new disclaimer to this, a person can lawfully possess a handgun on his/her property, place of business or vehicle so long as they are not otherwise breaking any laws other than a traffic violation.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:16 AM   #14

CT is not a hard state to get a carry permit in (its not a concealed carry permit and nor is concealed/hidden from view mentioned in any CT statute) I know alot of people with permits and have never heard of anyone getting denied. I have open-carried before, not nearly as much as concealed but never had any serious issues....i understand if your shirt comes up and your gun is revealed it could cause concern...but if you just have the full gun holstered and in view i cannot see it causing that much concern..

Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Open Carry? Why In Hell Would You?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I'll chime in along with the rest here, Yes, open carry is legal here, as well as many other places, but why in the world would you?

I.If you were on your own land, Yea, I can see that!

2. If you were living in a Rural place where others did it and it was accepterd, maybe?

Mostly we live in a world that has no common sense! That 911 call log someone else placed in thier reponce is probably a real deal! Open carry attracts the wrong kind of attention in most acse, either from the Cops, or from the Bully types that would walk up and wanna try and box Mike Tyson? Just not worth it, carry consealed and he a lot safer and happier! You try both methods and let us know how that went, OK?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Matt G nailed it about populated areas. Open carry is legal in Oregon, and in many rural areas no one cares. In Portland, Eugene, or other built up metro areas, you can count on someone seeing your gun and calling 9-1-1. When I was a uniform patrol officer I took such calls and it would usually go something like this:

Caller: Oh my God, I need the police. (Usually a female, and heavy breathing)
9-1-1: What's the problem?
Caller: I just saw someone walking on the K-Mart parking lot with a gun.
9-1-1: What was he doing with it?
Caller: Well, he was just walking, but I'm scared, because there is a school down the street. (There's always a school down the street.)
9-1-1: Give me a description.....

Dispatch: 41-11
41-11: Forty one eleven, go ahead.
Disp.: At SE 132nd & Bush, we have several reports of a white male, wearing a red tee shirt and blue jeans, carrying a pistol in a holster.
41-11: What's he doing with it?
Disp.: Unknown, last seen walking toward the K-Mart store.
41-11: 10-4.

Then, depending on the maturity, experience and intelligence of the officer, you are either approached cautiously and tactically, or by one or more officers pointing pistols, M-4s, or shotguns at you, proning you out and yelling at you to show your hands, etc. Some young, inexperienced cops can be very scary at this point.

In the city, don't do it. It isn't worth the hassle.
Seriously? AS a former law enforcement official and most likely a gun owner, possible military, I would think you would know better. You should be encouraging people to exercise their right to protect themselves and those around them by advocating trained open carring citizens. It's the Police and the general public that are creating unsafe situations not the law abiding citizens that choose to carry. I personally do open or concealed depending on what I'm doing that day.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Seriously, this thread is nearly 3 years old and you choose this for your introduction? Some folks believe in open carry - some don't. It's a personal choice for protection and shouldn't be used as a political statement...

Old 04-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #18

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Seriously, this thread is nearly 3 years old and you choose this for your introduction? Some folks believe in open carry - some don't. It's a personal choice for protection and shouldn't be used as a political statement...
Quoted for the truth.....

Good snag NGIB....

Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #19

I've been all over Charlotte, NC, with my pistol, open carrying. The trick is: do it well. Looks are everything. If you strap your Uncle Mike's on on top of your urban camouflage pants, wear a heavy metal shirt and a bandanna over your long, greasy hair, you'll get the cops called on you faster than you can say "it's my legal right." Don't be that guy.

Wear nice clothes. Wear a nice holster. Look like someone a politician might want to shake hands with. Hell, wear a nice NRA hat as well, just to make sure they know. Half of the time people will just confuse you with a plain clothes police officer.

Sure, you want to express your individuality. Do it without a firearm on your hip. Because it's that type of person that really hurts the movement. It's not about just you, it's about an entire group of people that you are in a way publicly representing by open carrying.

EDIT: Garwsh. I hate it when people dig up old threads and I don't catch it either and replies. Either way...

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Last edited by ThorsHammer; 04-13-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: I'm a dummie

Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I was trying to google a law and this thread came up. Sorry I didn't look at how old it was. I never said anything about making a political statement. As I posted before you should be advocating people to carry in any form if they are responsible enough to do so.

@ThorsHammer
I don't know if you are implying that I am that person you are desrcibing, but I assure you that I am not. I agree that one should try to wear nice clothes and present yourself as someone that looks like they are responsible enough to carry a self defense weapon. But that shouldn't exclude anyone from exercising their right to defend themselves.