Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Open Carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/open-carry-2451/)

aussierogue 10-25-2007 12:58 AM

Open Carry
 
I have just read about open carry i have 2 questions
1 Is it worth even worrying about doing it
2 How would i find out what the police think about it

matt g 10-25-2007 02:32 AM

I carry open when I'm out in the woods. I've come across many different agencies, local, state and federal that don't have a problem with it. I'd imagine open carry in populated areas would be a different story though. Your best bet would be to contact your local PD or SO and ask.

BLS33 10-25-2007 04:06 AM

In WI there is no law on the books (as far as I know) saying you can't open carry. However there are plenty of other things they can get you with when you open carry in public.

cpttango30 10-25-2007 06:05 AM

In Virginia Open carry is legal and you do not have to have a permit to carry that way. I never see many people doing it though. I perfer to only open cary on my way to the range. I do not like to flaunt the fact that I am armed or that I have Guns. (Other than my Lic Plate) Suprise is your best friend in a combat situation.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/a/licplate.jpg

Bidah 10-25-2007 03:42 PM

My wife and I both open carry here around the farm, and if we go into town and what not. If we go into one of the cities here, then we carry concealed even though it is legal. The worst is to go into Bozeman, Helena, Missoula or Kallispell. Great Falls is generally ok, and Billings is a maybe. Overall people are used to seeing them here, but in those places there are too many sheeple that have moved in from CA and such..

-Bidah

Jay 10-26-2007 12:04 PM

I could carry open in Indiana, but I'd be subject to someone calling in a "man with a gun" complaint. I usually just let a T shirt hang over my 1911. Now and then it will print, but I don't really care. Only two types will know what it is.... cops, and potential threats. I really don't care if either type sees it.

pioneer461 10-30-2007 11:53 PM

Matt G nailed it about populated areas. Open carry is legal in Oregon, and in many rural areas no one cares. In Portland, Eugene, or other built up metro areas, you can count on someone seeing your gun and calling 9-1-1. When I was a uniform patrol officer I took such calls and it would usually go something like this:

Caller: Oh my God, I need the police. (Usually a female, and heavy breathing)
9-1-1: What's the problem?
Caller: I just saw someone walking on the K-Mart parking lot with a gun.
9-1-1: What was he doing with it?
Caller: Well, he was just walking, but I'm scared, because there is a school down the street. (There's always a school down the street.)
9-1-1: Give me a description.....

Dispatch: 41-11
41-11: Forty one eleven, go ahead.
Disp.: At SE 132nd & Bush, we have several reports of a white male, wearing a red tee shirt and blue jeans, carrying a pistol in a holster.
41-11: What's he doing with it?
Disp.: Unknown, last seen walking toward the K-Mart store.
41-11: 10-4.

Then, depending on the maturity, experience and intelligence of the officer, you are either approached cautiously and tactically, or by one or more officers pointing pistols, M-4s, or shotguns at you, proning you out and yelling at you to show your hands, etc. Some young, inexperienced cops can be very scary at this point. :eek:

In the city, don't do it. It isn't worth the hassle.:cool:

firebrand45 10-31-2007 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLS33 (Post 10878)
In WI there is no law on the books (as far as I know) saying you can't open carry. However there are plenty of other things they can get you with when you open carry in public.

Unfortunately, it is the same here in Ct. It states CLEARLY, that there is NO law prohibiting you from open carry. However, the state police here have supreme power to invoke law at will, wether real, or percieved, and will at least harass, and at most, arrest and confiscate over it. The state has inserted several poorly worded "laws" that are left open to interpretation by whatever agency that wishes to take offence to it. This is an extremely dificult state to CCW in. You are given consent to do so, but you must walk on eggs if you wish to keep your right!

BLS33 10-31-2007 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneer461 (Post 11236)
Matt G nailed it about populated areas. Open carry is legal in Oregon, and in many rural areas no one cares. In Portland, Eugene, or other built up metro areas, you can count on someone seeing your gun and calling 9-1-1. When I was a uniform patrol officer I took such calls and it would usually go something like this:

Caller: Oh my God, I need the police. (Usually a female, and heavy breathing)
9-1-1: What's the problem?
Caller: I just saw someone walking on the K-Mart parking lot with a gun.
9-1-1: What was he doing with it?
Caller: Well, he was just walking, but I'm scared, because there is a school down the street. (There's always a school down the street.)
9-1-1: Give me a description.....

Dispatch: 41-11
41-11: Forty one eleven, go ahead.
Disp.: At SE 132nd & Bush, we have several reports of a white male, wearing a red tee shirt and blue jeans, carrying a pistol in a holster.
41-11: What's he doing with it?
Disp.: Unknown, last seen walking toward the K-Mart store.
41-11: 10-4.

Then, depending on the maturity, experience and intelligence of the officer, you are either approached cautiously and tactically, or by one or more officers pointing pistols, M-4s, or shotguns at you, proning you out and yelling at you to show your hands, etc. Some young, inexperienced cops can be very scary at this point. :eek:

In the city, don't do it. It isn't worth the hassle.:cool:


This reminds me of something that happened to my dad years ago. When he was younger, probably around 20, he was making a delivery of crutches and someone saw the long boxes containing the crutches. Well they decided to call the police saying they were making a delivery of weapons or planning a heist or something stupid like that. So there is my dad with a box of crutches in his hand and all of a sudden a swat team runs up behind him, weapons drawn, screaming at him and putting him up on the wall. I always loved that story, had me laughing every time.

People just freak out so easily now a days. I can't imagine walking around open carrying in Wisconsin.

Bidah 11-01-2007 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebrand45 (Post 11243)
This is an extremely dificult state to CCW in. You are given consent to do so, but you must walk on eggs if you wish to keep your right!

When my wife and I lived in CT, we did not find this to be a problem at all. We were always treated fairly in each situation. Maybe it depends on where you are doing it.

-Bidah


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.