Open carry at 16!! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Open carry at 16!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I use to have to carry my dads 12 gauge across town to get to my friends house when we were going trap shooting when I was younger (15-17), single shot breach loader i just open in the action put it over my shoulder with the barrel pointing down and started walking. I only got stopped once after that never really had a problem. This was only a couple of years ago, but then again where i use to live wasn't all that big of a town.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon12312 View Post
I read somewhere that in VT 16 year olds can open carry with parental permision, is this true? What do ya'll think about it?
I just see one problem with that, and it's not the kids... it's the PARENTS.

I have three boys - 4, 9, and 11. Because I'm a PARENT beyond title only, I've not only taught those boys how to shoot starting at age 2, but I spend time with them, observe them, and PARENT them.

Because of my PARENTAL observations, I know I can trust my 11 yr old to run the firing range, unsupervised. He's had the maturity to do so since he was 9. My 9 yr old, however, I won't let on the range unless myself or my 11 yr old is there to supervise him. My 4 yr old just isn't old enough to be turned loose yet... my 11 yr old is good on the range, but he's not good enough to handle supervising a 4 yr old yet.

I'm more comfortable with my 11 yr old on the range than I've been with some 30 yr olds... I've been on the range with military guys I wouldn't turn my back on.

Do I have a problem with a LAW that allows 16 yr olds to carry? No.

Do I have a problem with 16 yr olds actually open carry? Depends on the 16 yr old...

Do I have a problem with the seemingly predominate lack of PARENTING in this country? Absolutely.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok

I have three boys - 4, 9, and 11. Because I'm a PARENT beyond title only, I've not only taught those boys how to shoot starting at age 2, but I spend time with them, observe them, and PARENT them.

Because of my PARENTAL observations, I know I can trust my 11 yr old to run the firing range, unsupervised. He's had the maturity to do so since he was 9. My 9 yr old, however, I won't let on the range unless myself or my 11 yr old is there to supervise him. My 4 yr old just isn't old enough to be turned loose yet... my 11 yr old is good on the range, but he's not good enough to handle supervising a 4 yr old yet.

I'm more comfortable with my 11 yr old on the range than I've been with some 30 yr olds... I've been on the range with military guys I wouldn't turn my back on.

Do I have a problem with 16 yr olds actually open carry? Depends on the 16 yr old...

Do I have a problem with the seemingly predominate lack of PARENTING in this country? Absolutely.
Very true. Im just curious on how many 16 y/o actuly walk around in VT with a big ole .45 on their hip.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #24

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You nailed it Hydra.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #25

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid
Times sure have changed. Me and most of my friends open carried being younger than 16. Since we didn't drive, it was unmistakable that we carried shotguns as we walked our way to our favorite hunting spot. No one blinked an eye!

We had marksmanship classes in school... Using guns!

35 years ago people understood and respected the Second Amendment. How far we've fallen for this to even be a question.
When my grandmother was in grade school she would carry a 22 rifle to school so she could hunt on the way back home.
I work with a guy in his 40's, he told me one day that when he was in school he would sometimes bring his shotgun on the bus to school and leave it with the pricipal so he could go hunting after school. He said he would either walk from school to his hunting grounds or the bus would drop him off.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

Pretty much how I raised my two boys and how I feel. They are 16 and 14 now. So far so good. I think they are far more mature and responsible than I was at 18 or 20. Scratch that, I know it.