Only one of my kind that I know... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Only one of my kind that I know...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I'm the only one too

Except for my wife, I'm alone too. (By choice) On my first date with her, she was scared thinking nobody lives this far out. She was sure she was going to be murdered. For good reason nobody knows I have a CCL,14 guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, or enough food and supplies for 2 or 3 years.
We'll keep those secrets...guess I'm wierd or paranoid or something

Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #22

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrock View Post
Except for my wife, I'm alone too. (By choice) On my first date with her, she was scared thinking nobody lives this far out. She was sure she was going to be murdered. For good reason nobody knows I have a CCL,14 guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, or enough food and supplies for 2 or 3 years.
We'll keep those secrets...guess I'm wierd or PRUDENT or something
There, I fixed that for you. Must have been a typo.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #23

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
All of my friends are gun people.
Most of my daily acquaintances are gun people.

I consider people who do not own guns a dangerous liability. They plan on relying on others to take care of them when "the time comes". They all say they plan on coming to my house. Mmmm, not so much.

But I will disagree about the generalization that most people in CA are not interested in guns. When word got out a few years ago in my office that I was a shooter, half the office (50+/-) came to me asking me to take them shooting. Those range trips have created a whole new generation of informed gun owners. I recently emailed my company about a range day and ended up with 32 new shooters from my office.

The big deterrent that kept each of them from starting shooting on their own was the fact that when they went into gun stores looking for help getting into shooting they were all treated like garbage by the a-holes behind the counters.
Outstanding! You sir have been doing good work! I think we should help who we can how we can when it comes to things like this. I have seen it a million times new people getting the cold shoulder in gun shops. Or worse just treated bad. I walked out of the only local shop still open near me because of their treatment of what almost was a new shooter. I ended up talking to him outside and had him follow me to another shop where the people behind the counter are much more friendly. These new shooter people need answers to their questions. Not ridicule. The ninjas are always quick to scare these people away from firearms or make them one of the ninja collective ( Which is worse!).

See, this is the kind of stuff that caused me to reg here. So many people actually want to help people. The more informed the more to vote in ways that help our causes. The last forum I was part of many made new people feel like crap and poof! Another would be shooter was sent away. Sure, you'll see some questions and think what the hell are they thinking??!!?? But we have no way of knowing what info they got and from who. I was really lucky. I had a father that loved shooting and was trained well while doing his time in two wars (WWII & Korea). I figured he made it home after all that he must know a little. And as a kid I was watching westerns on TV and the other BS of 70's cop dramas (I still want to shoot a 38 snubby out of a helicopter and hit a gut 300 yards away like Jack Lord in Hawaii 5-0 and not mess up my hair). Many would be shooters don't have that at home. Some are tired of being scared and do not want to be a victim. And some just might want to blow off a little steam at the range on the weekends. It really doesn't matter. Like NGIB often says the majority of people in the country have no real opinion about firearms. So when a new one comes a long we should help them if ewe can. And maybe they will get someone else in to it.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Also consider the damage someone could do if they A: knew you were packing and B: had a grudge.

The person makes a false 911 call about someone fitting your description driving away and brandishing a gun!

There goes your CCW and possibly some freedom.
Sadly there are people that might do that. And no matter what got the law there you are still the guy with a gun so it can get tense really fast. It's possibilities like that people need to think about before they carry. A cool head is a must have.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Outstanding! You sir have been doing good work! I think we should help who we can how we can when it comes to things like this. I have seen it a million times new people getting the cold shoulder in gun shops. Or worse just treated bad. I walked out of the only local shop still open near me because of their treatment of what almost was a new shooter. I ended up talking to him outside and had him follow me to another shop where the people behind the counter are much more friendly. These new shooter people need answers to their questions. Not ridicule. The ninjas are always quick to scare these people away from firearms or make them one of the ninja collective ( Which is worse!).

See, this is the kind of stuff that caused me to reg here. So many people actually want to help people. The more informed the more to vote in ways that help our causes. The last forum I was part of many made new people feel like crap and poof! Another would be shooter was sent away. Sure, you'll see some questions and think what the hell are they thinking??!!?? But we have no way of knowing what info they got and from who. I was really lucky. I had a father that loved shooting and was trained well while doing his time in two wars (WWII & Korea). I figured he made it home after all that he must know a little. And as a kid I was watching westerns on TV and the other BS of 70's cop dramas (I still want to shoot a 38 snubby out of a helicopter and hit a gut 300 yards away like Jack Lord in Hawaii 5-0 and not mess up my hair). Many would be shooters don't have that at home. Some are tired of being scared and do not want to be a victim. And some just might want to blow off a little steam at the range on the weekends. It really doesn't matter. Like NGIB often says the majority of people in the country have no real opinion about firearms. So when a new one comes a long we should help them if ewe can. And maybe they will get someone else in to it.

I think your description of how some US 'gunshop ninjas' operate is really sad and unfortunate...you would think that shooters would stick together In the [few] gunshops I've been to, the staff are extraordinarily friendly and only too happy/eager to help a relative noob like me.

Maybe its partly due to our more uh, "underground" status in this country - few shooters overall at 5% of the adult population and much maligned publicly at that - so we have a feeling of real community. One of the members in my club said that he's known our vice-captain/armourer for about 15 years, and before joining had no idea the guy was into guns! You tend to keep this to yourself among the rest of society at large, as often it doesn't go down too well at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 07-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #26

THere used ot be another shop in my area but it closed due to a relocation thing with his family. His shop was the best. He always said anyone can sell you a gun. But I want you to come back. So he always bent over backwards to make sure you where happy. I never bought a weapon there that he didn't toss in a box or two of ammo or something. He'd haggle for an out the door price that you couldn't pass up. And the best was if you bought a thing or two off him he would not charge you to ship one in! Man I was sad to see him go. THere are soem other shops around but that one was a local. THe other shop the guy is a turd unless you have known him for years. A guy even told me the owner had a deal with a game warden that he's give info on people buying hunting rifles then this warden would find a reason to hassle you and try to get your rifle from you. So it could be sold again. Don't know 100% on that one but he is a hateful man. So I drive a little more and get better service.

Yeah, we are kind of a minority club being shooters but that's the reason we need to welcome thew new ones. Every new shooter is a potential voter for the causes we hold dear. And lets just face it It's fun (for me anyway) seeing that look a new shooter gets after their first few shots. THay get that where have you been all my life look. And every one that gets the right kind of info are not fresh meat for the mall ninjas. It's hard to get the ninja out once it's been awakened. and the less of those we have the safer I feel. And not to mention the bad press

Old 07-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #27

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

OP, here. I've seen the word "paranoid" a few times in the thread and I've heard it in my own life. Back to the topic, a bit.

In my professional life I just plain do NOT talk about this stuff. But in my personal life, most of my activity is among Christians. They are generally conservative types, definitely not libs. But a common theme among urban Christians is the idea that preparation for societal collapse is not depending on the protection of God. And thus there is ascribed an element of "worry" or "paranoia" in building a store of supplies and firearms.

Perhaps it is the loud voice of the ninjas in our society that we should politely counter with common sense prudence and a kind spirit that tries to teach instead of deride.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face