Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Only one of my kind that I know...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Some of my closest friends own guns, and some don't. The ones I've met through my knife collecting hobby and MMA training are gun lovers. Serious gun lovers. One has a gun shop, another one is Bersa's factory manager (and a great IPSC shooter), etc.

However, the guys I'm closest to and I've known for over 15 or 20 years (a long time when you're 27!) don't own guns. They aren't anti-gun, but they just don't care about them. Legislation and gun prices don't help, either.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 06-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I live in a very nice neighborhood full of committed liberals and yuppies. Only a couple of people even know that I have firearms. These folks would be the first to point a finger should some unpleasantness arise. So, I keep a low profile. I am not the lone wolf type, but I can hold my own and these circumstances force me to keep my head down.

This is another reason of many why I want to get out of here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

All of my friends are gun people.
Most of my daily acquaintances are gun people.

I consider people who do not own guns a dangerous liability. They plan on relying on others to take care of them when "the time comes". They all say they plan on coming to my house. Mmmm, not so much.

But I will disagree about the generalization that most people in CA are not interested in guns. When word got out a few years ago in my office that I was a shooter, half the office (50+/-) came to me asking me to take them shooting. Those range trips have created a whole new generation of informed gun owners. I recently emailed my company about a range day and ended up with 32 new shooters from my office.

The big deterrent that kept each of them from starting shooting on their own was the fact that when they went into gun stores looking for help getting into shooting they were all treated like garbage by the a-holes behind the counters.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Of my friends I probably have the largest gun collection and that isn't saying much. I'm the only gun nut among those I concider friends although most of them own one or two and they don't mind being around them. I wish I had more gun nut friends, maybe I'd get to shoot more.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everyone I know owns a gun or two.

I know if you come out to my neck of the woods it wouldn't be just me 3rd degreeing you with a hidden hand. My neighbors are just like me you come around our neighborhood and we don't know you you better have a good reason to be there! lol

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 06-28-2010, 04:11 AM   #16

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

P.S. The fact that you CCW should be a closely guarded secret, know only to those you trust explicitly and more importantly, those who trust you.
I spoke about it a bunch while I was considering it. But once I actually completed the process and was carrying, I stopped talking about it. Discrete means, well, discrete. That is great advice for all of us who are sheepdogs. Talking about it could be considered intimidating unless people know you VERY well. I just don't bring it up with people, generally.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 06-28-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #17

Liked 4570 Times on 2210 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I spoke about it a bunch while I was considering it. But once I actually completed the process and was carrying, I stopped talking about it. Discrete means, well, discrete. That is great advice for all of us who are sheepdogs. Talking about it could be considered intimidating unless people know you VERY well. I just don't bring it up with people, generally.
Also consider the damage someone could do if they A: knew you were packing and B: had a grudge.

The person makes a false 911 call about someone fitting your description driving away and brandishing a gun!

There goes your CCW and possibly some freedom.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Also consider the damage someone could do if they A: knew you were packing and B: had a grudge.

The person makes a false 911 call about someone fitting your description driving away and brandishing a gun!

There goes your CCW and possibly some freedom.
Definitely a reason to win friends and influence people. BTW, that would be called filing a false police report. Hopefully we do not have people around us who would break the law just to get back at us. I'm sure it could happen and has happened. But I hope I live my life in a way that nobody would even consider doing that to me.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default Friends ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
I dont have any friends... sniff sniff boo hoo

The majority of people I know own firearms, although in NJ, no one carries, we are all just victims waiting to happen.
I have a lot of friends, But none are worth wasting a bullet on. Yet!

Old 07-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #20

Liked 4570 Times on 2210 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Definitely a reason to win friends and influence people. BTW, that would be called filing a false police report. Hopefully we do not have people around us who would break the law just to get back at us. I'm sure it could happen and has happened. But I hope I live my life in a way that nobody would even consider doing that to me.
We all do, it's just a risk that's better considered before it happens rather than after. Yes, it would be considered "filing a false report" but we all know that "as the guy with the gun" your going to be guilty until proven innocent. I'm not tyring to preach hear, just sharing 15 years of CCW experience with the younger generation. I see many new CCW's, IE 20 somethings who are very proud of thier CCW and voice it loudly without condering the risks. Knowledge of your personal armed status in the wrong hands can be very dangerous for you...

TACK