Only one of my kind that I know...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Only one of my kind that I know...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Only one of my kind that I know...

A question for some of you. In my group of friends I am not the only gun owner. But I am the only licensed CCW carrier. And I'll be the first black rifle (SUR) owner. I'm not worried that there will be any condemnation or anything. I think the friends of mine that I tell about my build will be pretty inspired, actually, once they see my finished AR. If SHTF they'll be coming over here, that's for sure!

Anybody else out there the first of their circle owning a black rifle, first carrier, that sort of thing?

Just wondering. As far as firearms go, this group here is the closest to being brothers in arms for me.

I'm assuming that, if society collapsed I may just be surprised how many like me are living right around me.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do not have a tight circle of friends. I have one best friend that is prectically my brother. We rarely go a day without saying anything to each other. Even on vacations we keep close tabs on one another.
We both have a lot of friends that we are both friends with, but they ain't like us.

Anyways, I am the first gun owner between the two of us. I have 3 guns (a .22 rifle, Mosin Nagant and an 1858 revolver) and he has none. He really likes my revolver though so I am going to suggest that he gets a Ruger Vaquero or a Ruger GP100. I am not sure wether he prefers single or double action.

What are you alls opinion on my future suggestions?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I am the first black rifle owner amongst my friends. Here in CA, not a lot of people get into guns, largely because CA makes it a pain in the old chair warmer. Guns cost more, they're harder to get, and you can hardly take them out of the safe without breaking some dumb*** law.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 06-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #4

Liked 4703 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 1437

CHL Chris

I was in your boat 10 years ago when I began organizing trips up the mountain with a group of guys from work. I was/still am the only vet and was the only CCW holder. Most of them had 1 or 2 guns but no formal training and all were illiterate to the Pro Gun Culture.

All were eager to chip in for ammo and shoot my collection of pistols and sporting rifles. Half of them now have CCW's, all of them now own numerous guns, all of them now VOTE pro gun, and we all maintain a SHTF stock of ammo.

It's easy to bring folks around to your way of thinking as long as you have something they value. In my case it was a great collection of toys and the opportunity to learn them from a guy with military training.

I don't claim to be an expert and tend to steer clear of those who do...

I never climbed up on the 2A soap box and tried preaching to any of them and I've never seen it work. I just do what I do, enjoy my sport, and let their curiosity lead them in the right direction. Eventually they all ask the CCW question and when they do, I answer with 1 word. "Responsibility"

By the time anyone "asks" the CCW question, they've spent enough time shooting with me to automatically respect my position on the topic.

TACK

P.S. The fact that you CCW should be a closely guarded secret, know only to those you trust explicitly and more importantly, those who trust you.

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 06-27-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8684 Times on 3759 Posts
Likes Given: 1334

No- I have mostly sane people around me, and they all have guns.

Many of us gun buffs do not walk around wearing a Glock shirt. As you get further into shooting sports, you may be surprised who you meet at the range. No limits of age, race, sex, origin, and to some extent, religion (will admit, Buddhists are scarce- but represented) Have worked with a few disabled shooters, a BUNCH of medical staff, youngsters, ladies, etc.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2771 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

If you see a bunch of old men riding old bikes, don't mess with them. Like C3, no telltale shirts, but each is packing at least one.
The other crowd is bleeding demokrats, who know my position and respect it (as I, their's).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I'm assuming that, if society collapsed I may just be surprised how many like me are living right around me.

If society collapsed, most people I know would be reaching for their pointed sticks

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 06-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I don't have a big circle of people I am around. I have one brother from another mother and a few others I will hang out with some. WE all are collectors, shooters, hunters, and most of them carry. My family (blood relations) mostly think I'm nuts. They live in some weird fantasy world. My in laws think a lot more like I do

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Chris:

After you take them shooting with your new AR, you will become very busy helping them buy or build their own. AR's are like candy and once they get a taste, they will want one too!

TXnorton

Old 06-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dont have any friends... sniff sniff boo hoo

The majority of people I know own firearms, although in NJ, no one carries, we are all just victims waiting to happen.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson