Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Only one of my kind that I know... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/only-one-my-kind-i-know-28761/)

CHLChris 06-27-2010 04:48 AM

Only one of my kind that I know...

A question for some of you. In my group of friends I am not the only gun owner. But I am the only licensed CCW carrier. And I'll be the first black rifle (SUR) owner. I'm not worried that there will be any condemnation or anything. I think the friends of mine that I tell about my build will be pretty inspired, actually, once they see my finished AR. If SHTF they'll be coming over here, that's for sure!

Anybody else out there the first of their circle owning a black rifle, first carrier, that sort of thing?

Just wondering. As far as firearms go, this group here is the closest to being brothers in arms for me.

I'm assuming that, if society collapsed I may just be surprised how many like me are living right around me.

saviorslegacy 06-27-2010 05:09 AM

I do not have a tight circle of friends. I have one best friend that is prectically my brother. We rarely go a day without saying anything to each other. Even on vacations we keep close tabs on one another.
We both have a lot of friends that we are both friends with, but they ain't like us.

Anyways, I am the first gun owner between the two of us. I have 3 guns (a .22 rifle, Mosin Nagant and an 1858 revolver) and he has none. He really likes my revolver though so I am going to suggest that he gets a Ruger Vaquero or a Ruger GP100. I am not sure wether he prefers single or double action.

What are you alls opinion on my future suggestions?

TheDaggle 06-27-2010 06:15 AM

I am the first black rifle owner amongst my friends. Here in CA, not a lot of people get into guns, largely because CA makes it a pain in the old chair warmer. Guns cost more, they're harder to get, and you can hardly take them out of the safe without breaking some dumb*** law.

Tackleberry1 06-27-2010 06:21 AM

CHL Chris

I was in your boat 10 years ago when I began organizing trips up the mountain with a group of guys from work. I was/still am the only vet and was the only CCW holder. Most of them had 1 or 2 guns but no formal training and all were illiterate to the Pro Gun Culture.

All were eager to chip in for ammo and shoot my collection of pistols and sporting rifles. Half of them now have CCW's, all of them now own numerous guns, all of them now VOTE pro gun, and we all maintain a SHTF stock of ammo.

It's easy to bring folks around to your way of thinking as long as you have something they value. In my case it was a great collection of toys and the opportunity to learn them from a guy with military training.

I don't claim to be an expert and tend to steer clear of those who do...

I never climbed up on the 2A soap box and tried preaching to any of them and I've never seen it work. I just do what I do, enjoy my sport, and let their curiosity lead them in the right direction. Eventually they all ask the CCW question and when they do, I answer with 1 word. "Responsibility"

By the time anyone "asks" the CCW question, they've spent enough time shooting with me to automatically respect my position on the topic.

TACK

P.S. The fact that you CCW should be a closely guarded secret, know only to those you trust explicitly and more importantly, those who trust you.

c3shooter 06-27-2010 06:51 AM

No- I have mostly sane people around me, and they all have guns. :D

Many of us gun buffs do not walk around wearing a Glock shirt. As you get further into shooting sports, you may be surprised who you meet at the range. No limits of age, race, sex, origin, and to some extent, religion (will admit, Buddhists are scarce- but represented) Have worked with a few disabled shooters, a BUNCH of medical staff, youngsters, ladies, etc.

danf_fl 06-27-2010 08:46 AM

If you see a bunch of old men riding old bikes, don't mess with them. Like C3, no telltale shirts, but each is packing at least one.
The other crowd is bleeding demokrats, who know my position and respect it (as I, their's).

zhuk 06-27-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 306640)
I'm assuming that, if society collapsed I may just be surprised how many like me are living right around me.

If society collapsed, most people I know would be reaching for their pointed sticks :rolleyes:

DrumJunkie 06-27-2010 09:04 AM

I don't have a big circle of people I am around. I have one brother from another mother and a few others I will hang out with some. WE all are collectors, shooters, hunters, and most of them carry. My family (blood relations) mostly think I'm nuts. They live in some weird fantasy world. My in laws think a lot more like I do

TXnorton 06-27-2010 09:12 AM

Chris:

After you take them shooting with your new AR, you will become very busy helping them buy or build their own. AR's are like candy and once they get a taste, they will want one too!

pandamonium 06-27-2010 04:18 PM

I dont have any friends... sniff sniff boo hoo

The majority of people I know own firearms, although in NJ, no one carries, we are all just victims waiting to happen.