The Only Engineer in a Business Meeting - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Only Engineer in a Business Meeting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #31
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11029 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 1812

Of course do. Ducks fly- maybe not as well as some other things, but they DO fly- and are REAL hard to make catch on fire!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #32

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
On a somewhat smaller scale my uncle and one of my best friends are tool and die makers. When helping them with home improvement projects it totally fascinates me that they can't think in fractions. In rough carpentry 1/8 to 1/16 is usually pretty good, in finish 1/16 to 1/32 also usually works although some use bigger margins of error. These 2 guys think in thousandths. In their world 3 to 5 thousandths tolerances are the norm and they can't conceive of an 1/8 tolerance it totally blows their mind.
That is interesting. I have noticed this as well. I have a degree in carpentry, but most of my work has been in precision sheet metal. I can switch between fractions and thousandths at will. It has served me well.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #33

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
... These 2 guys think in thousandths. In their world 3 to 5 thousandths tolerances are the norm and they can't conceive of an 1/8 tolerance it totally blows their mind.
When you ask most people what time it is, and they don't look at a clock or watch, most will say 8:30 or a quarter to 4 or some such thing. I knew a couple of people in broadcasting, both radio & television. When you asked them what time it is, they'd say 8:27 or 3:49, and they'd be right.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #34
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3370 Times on 2036 Posts
Likes Given: 3190

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Of course do. Ducks fly- maybe not as well as some other things, but they DO fly- and are REAL hard to make catch on fire!
You've never seen me cook, have you?
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1093 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
When you ask most people what time it is, and they don't look at a clock or watch, most will say 8:30 or a quarter to 4 or some such thing. I knew a couple of people in broadcasting, both radio & television. When you asked them what time it is, they'd say 8:27 or 3:49, and they'd be right.
My wife is from France..and, years ago when we would visit her family, they would comment on how strange it is that Americans measure distance in time.

I.e., when asked “how far are you from Disney World?” we would answer with “It’s about eight hours.”
People Like This 
Old 05-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
My wife is from France..and, years ago when we would visit her family, they would comment on how strange it is that Americans measure distance in time.

I.e., when asked “how far are you from Disney World?” we would answer with “It’s about eight hours.”
My nephew's a pilot. He has to think for a split second to figure out whether the answer should be in drive time or fly time when he's asked how far someplace is. He has a different relationship to time and space than drivers do.

Last edited by Vincine; 05-15-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6836 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

One of my early jobs years ago was doing basic cad wiring diagrams. The boss would come in and yell at my if i wasnt using the snap setting which snapped the cursor to the closest line. He would say its all drawn to snap so use the snap function. But it wasnt. None of them were. They were his drawings.

When you zoomed the plans in the original drawings were all free hand. So of course everytime they built a power panel it would be off and the techs would come in for corrections . Thd lead engineer, my boss, would come in and yell at me for producing drawings that were wrong scale....

So one day i went through and copied one of the madter drawings he created and set universal snap to put every line to grid and then inserted the changes. I then took the drawing to the owner and took the original in handed it to him and said here is why your always running over cost...

I got fired by the head engineer after he got chewed out for not using the snap function.

Not all engineers are good people.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Old 05-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1390 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
That is interesting. I have noticed this as well. I have a degree in carpentry, but most of my work has been in precision sheet metal. I can switch between fractions and thousandths at will. It has served me well.
Everything in Automotive is metric now... and yet I still have to convert to English

Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #39

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

We did convert from metric to english, too. Divide english by 25.4 to get metric. Not too sure why you'd have to do that in the automotive field, just grab the 10 mm wrench....
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #40

128 ounces of dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) = 1 gallon.
1 gallon of DHMO weighs 8.3 pounds.
8.3 pounds = 132.80 ounces.
132.80 - 128 = 4.8 ounces of DHMO left over.

And this is before you convert to metric.

(Don't get me started on carets, karats & carrots.)

Last edited by Vincine; 05-16-2014 at 11:12 PM.