The Only Engineer in a Business Meeting - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Only Engineer in a Business Meeting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1934 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

So how exactly did we arrive at this place in our economy where those with no concept of reality get to be the boss and are paid more?
I'll tell you brother. (PC types: leave the room). Everyone noticed that the engineer character is an actor with Asian features, probably an immigrant. The rest are home grown MBA and BS (pun intended).
Old 05-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 869 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I take remodeling jobs as way to have an experienced crew of men to keep my stuff going. I will not take a job for any kind of construction professional. I am not going to have someone who cannot drive a nail talk down to my men who have a combined 150 years of construction experience.
When I moved into my current house, AT&T had to send a tech out because I couldn't get the DSL working. She said, I did the extra phone line for this house for the prior owner. I had to ask, why in the world did you run lines outside the house and drill through that pretty siding. Her answer shouldn't have surprised me, "because the prior owner was an engineer and insisted, no DEMANDED, that I had to run another 2 pair cable to make the second phone line work.

Oh, and the DSL problem was an interesting issue, as the signal strength was too high and my old DSL modem couldn't handle the strong signal. IRC, she said if they offered it, I could receive 60M at my house.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #23
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I'll tell you brother. (PC types: leave the room). Everyone noticed that the engineer character is an actor with Asian features, probably an immigrant. The rest are home grown MBA and BS (pun intended).
The US isnt trying to make Technicians anymore. Colleges and Universities have all but moved away from physical trades and even advanced degrees in engineering have less and less they can do once out of school. Were going to regret needing to speak spanish to speak with a technician someday and its sooner than later.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 2459

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
The US isnt trying to make Technicians anymore. Colleges and Universities have all but moved away from physical trades and even advanced degrees in engineering have less and less they can do once out of school. Were going to regret needing to speak spanish to speak with a technician someday and its sooner than later.
I'm sorry to disagree but we'll have to speak a lot of other languages first...Mandarin, Indian, Russian, and any of the European countries. Then again maybe we won't because all of them are bilingual and speak English?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #25
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1924 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I'm sorry to disagree but we'll have to speak a lot of other languages first...Mandarin, Indian, Russian, and any of the European countries. Then again maybe we won't because all of them are bilingual and speak English?
They only learned English because we were the dominant market. When we finish sliding downhill, we better learn the language of whoever takes over. Most likely Spanish or Chinese.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #26

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 631

Quote:
But at least there is no harm done and it IS possible to do it the engineer's way in that case.
Wrong. The engineer doesn't want to PAY what you need to do it his way. We called this situation "wrapping the part in a hundred dollar bill". Same result if you do more than required.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 AM   #27

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
My brother tells a story of an art director (AD) who had to have some simple plumbing leaks fixed. He called a plumber who fixed the leaks and gave him the bill. The AD thought the bill was high and said, "I can't afford this and I'm an Art Director! The plumber said, "Yeah, I know, I couldn't afford it either when I was an Art Director .

It's been a long time since people went to a university to get an education. They go to college to get a degree which they've been told would get them a good job/trade/skill/occupation and a secure life, which is really all that most people want. If they were told painting themselves blue on Wednesdays would get them a secure life, you could bet that's what most of them would be doing, and the hell with learning about the universe and everything in it.

When everybody goes to college, you end up with Ph.D.s delivering pizza.

Last edited by Vincine; 05-13-2014 at 03:27 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-13-2014, 03:06 AM   #28
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

and Doctors Of Education Technology fixing your computer for $25 an hour..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 05-15-2014, 05:18 AM   #29
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 950 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On a somewhat smaller scale my uncle and one of my best friends are tool and die makers. When helping them with home improvement projects it totally fascinates me that they can't think in fractions. In rough carpentry 1/8 to 1/16 is usually pretty good, in finish 1/16 to 1/32 also usually works although some use bigger margins of error. These 2 guys think in thousandths. In their world 3 to 5 thousandths tolerances are the norm and they can't conceive of an 1/8 tolerance it totally blows their mind.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #30
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1750 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

29 years at Boeing. Finished as Senior Systems Architect. .... Hardware , Software , Training.

Sure like cows and ducks now.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This