The Only Engineer in a Business Meeting - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Only Engineer in a Business Meeting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10104 Times on 4357 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

In a factory in today's workplace, Henry would not last a day.

The HR folks would eat him alive.

The video remind me of the old Three Stooges gag- where Moe orders breakfast- eggs. Sunny side down- and DON'T turn 'em over.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1224 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
So how exactly did we arrive at this place in our economy where those with no concept of reality get to be the boss and are paid more?
When we decided to pay more for the creation of money than the creation of product.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 AM   #13
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2723 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 2773

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
But at least there is no harm done and it IS possible to do it the engineer's way in that case. Albeit probably much more expensive. In the video, they were asking the engineer to do the impossible.

I got Balota a novelty license plate that says, "I'm an Engineer, not a Magician".
And that plate hangs in my office... from 7 mutually perpendicular red lines, 2 of which are drawn with green ink and the rest with transparent ink... But our sales group has decided that all decorations in the office must be blue because that is the favorite color of our most recent dupe... err, I mean, customer... so I am considering how to bleach out the yellow from the green ink so it can become blue again... Perhaps some of that eye bleach everyone is always talking about...

And they're coming to take me away, ha, ha...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 AM   #14

Liked 2218 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I take remodeling jobs as way to have an experienced crew of men to keep my stuff going. I will not take a job for any kind of construction professional. I am not going to have someone who cannot drive a nail talk down to my men who have a combined 150 years of construction experience.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I've been in so many meeting like that that I couldn't even laugh at the video. I forget the exact numbers but students graduating with an MBA out number the students with an advanced degree in engineering, math, and science combined by about 7 to 1. The reasons for that are pretty obvious and that's because an MBA is easier to get and has the potential to pay much more, i.e. Warren Buffet went to business school. The problem with that is business majors rarely produce anything of value.

So how exactly did we arrive at this place in our economy where those with no concept of reality get to be the boss and are paid more? I thought a free market economy was suppose to reward innovators rather than the clueless? I wonder if Henry Ford would last more than a week in a modern factory?
No, he wouldn't.

First he would try to fix something (a big no-no). Second he would try to standardize something by actually trying to do the same thing twice in a row (another big no-no). Third he would question the intelligence and possibly the lineage of the naysayers who say no 4 times (see above). This is an HR compliance issue calling for immediate dismissal and potential legal action.

Game over. After all this is America and our national past time is baseball. Three strikes and you're out!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-12-2014, 02:29 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I take remodeling jobs as way to have an experienced crew of men to keep my stuff going. I will not take a job for any kind of construction professional. I am not going to have someone who cannot drive a nail talk down to my men who have a combined 150 years of construction experience.
Maybe you should turn your crew loose on that "professional" who probably has a combined 150 days in the workforce. Experience and guile will always win out over youth and enthusiasm...

Balota

Old 05-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #17
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3377 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

"Unobtainium" I've heard of that! Wasn't that what they tried to make the First Stealth Tank Out of??

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10104 Times on 4357 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

Doc- we are not sure about that first stealth tank. They built the prototype, and parked it....... but we can't seem to find it now.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #19

Liked 1911 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

This all sounds familiar.

When I was a studio manager for an ad agency, I once had an account executive (AE) DEMANDING to know when he would get his presentation materials. I asked him when he would get me the layouts. He didn't know.

I threw him out of the bullpen.

Mostly the AEs would help where they could, however when an new/young AE with no particular commercial art skills, would insist on helping to do some of the drawing-board work, I'd give them a roll of double stick tape and tell them I needed a 10x10 inch web in a basket weave pattern.

After three minutes they would usually remember something else they had to do.

People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #20
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1378 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
But at least there is no harm done and it IS possible to do it the engineer's way in that case. Albeit probably much more expensive. In the video, they were asking the engineer to do the impossible.

I got Balota a novelty license plate that says, "I'm an Engineer, not a Magician".
Nope! Obviously, you did not see the follow-up video that answers the question!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 05-12-2014 at 04:49 PM.
deg Likes This