Online retailers get boned in Kalifornia
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Online retailers get boned in Kalifornia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Online retailers get boned in Kalifornia

California tells online retailers to start collecting sales taxes from customers

It seems the Peoples' Яepublik of Kalifornia hasn't done enough to drive businesses out of the state so now they're going to lose even more with this bit of insane stupidity. But it has joined 6 other states in this idiocy -- Illinois, Arkansas and Connecticut acted earlier this year, North Carolina and Rhode Island in 2009 and New York in 2008.

Quote:
Both Amazon in Seattle and Overstock in Salt Lake City have told affiliates that they would have to move to another state if they wanted to continue earning commissions for referring customers.

"We oppose this bill because it is unconstitutional and counterproductive," Amazon wrote its California business partners Wednesday. Amazon has not indicated what further actions it might take to challenge the California law.

Many of about 25,000 affiliates in California, especially larger ones with dozens of employees, are likely to leave the state, said Rebecca Madigan, executive director of trade group Performance Marketing Assn. The affiliates combined paid $152 million in state income taxes last year, she pointed out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I think this is coming to every state soon...They need Money....

Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I always assumed that if you purchased items on line and didn't pay sales tax it was up to you to keep track of it and report it on your state income tax form.

That's what I do.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Now that sucks for the people in CA, good thing I dont live in CA

Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #5

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Good thing I don't have an online business in California.

I shook the dust off my sandals when I moved out of CA and only return when I have to.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's one reason I live in Texas, no state income tax.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 07-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Kalifornia isn't the most expensive state to live in, but it's in the top five.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I always assumed that if you purchased items on line and didn't pay sales tax it was up to you to keep track of it and report it on your state income tax form.

That's what I do.
While true, the vast majority of people are not as honest and upstanding as you and simply claim to not have bought anything from out of state. Either that or they fail to keep track of everything and grossly under-report.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

In Washington we have had to pay sales tax for online purchases if the seller is incorporated in this state for years now. All the big sites, (Amazon, Cabelas, etc.) are already incorporated, so we have paying it for years.

This Kalifornia law appears to be a very similar deal. If the click through agent, or the selling company, has ties to Kalifornia then they have to collect the sales tax.

However if someone from Kalifornia goes to an out of state companies website without aid of a click through or search engine, they do not have to collect the sales tax as I read it.

While I can see the need for the taxes on Commerce, I don't think it's fair to tax on an out of state product if that company has nothing to do with your state.

In the old days, before the Interwebz (scary thought I know), there was a family owned maple syrup company in Wisconsin that we would or from via telephone. I continued to do so for years after I moved out and they never charged me tax. I consider this the same thing and should not be taxed just because you can't balance a frigging checkbook!

JD

Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
This Kalifornia law appears to be a very similar deal. If the click through agent, or the selling company, has ties to Kalifornia then they have to collect the sales tax.
No, I don't think that is what this law is. The best way for me to explain this is by example.

Say I live in California and I have a blog/website etc. where I post product reviews of widgets. In my review I post a link to the widget on Amazon and part of the link is my Amazon affiliate ID. Now let me make clear I am most emphatically not engaging in retail sales of any sort nor am I an employee of Amazon. I don't stock product, take payments, ship products etc. I simply link to the product on Amazon. As an Amazon affiliate, Amazon pays me a small commission for any sales resulting from the link I posted (and I pay income tax on that by the way). In the past, the state of California did not consider me to be a point of nexus for Amazon. Amazon is not incorporated in Cali and has no point of presence in the state, no distribution centers etc. The new law tries to make my affiliate relationship be a point of nexus for Amazon, and require Amazon (not me cause I'm not the seller) to collect California sales tax. It should not be Amazons responsibility to collect taxes for states that Amazon does not have operations in.

The vast majority of Amazon affiliates are just small website owners trying to make a buck or at least break even on their web hosting costs. There are a few large affiliate companies that make a substantial amount of money "link spamming" all over other peoples blogs/forums etc. but the vast majority are hobbyists with a passion about something that are trying to make a few bucks.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."