One week left!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > One week left!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default One week left!

Got one more week left in my CDL class! I have to take a 3 part test next week and if I pass it I'll have my Class A CDL. We have to do a pre-trip inspection on a Frieghtliner truck from bumper to bumper, drive the truck with a tester riding shotgun and then take a written test.

I had a classmate run through the pre-trip inspection with me and I named almost every part we have to name and stated that they weren't damaged or leaking (I only missed 3). I thought I did pretty good considering there are nearly 100 parts we have to inspect.

I didn't realize how complicated it can be to drive an 18-wheeler. Yesterday my instructor had me go through a very busy urban area in a Frieghtliner Century Class with sleeper cab pulling a 53 footer. He says I'm getting better everytime they take me out. I drive a 5-speed pickup but getting used to double clutching was my first hurdle. Not to mention getting used to something with 10 forward gears.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #2

Welcome the big road!
I've been driving big truck since '87 (my Army days) and am still at it.
Do you plan to go OTR or local?,never did the OTR as Mrs. FBR wants me home.
Don't worry about the test,If your instructor is is't worried about taking you into heavy traffic then you should have no problem.
I've been driving for a building supply co. for the last 10 years delivering trusses and we do some oversize/overlength permited stuff.
here's a pic. of a load typical of one I do on a regular basis,but I've hauled trusses as long as 74 ft long and 14ft wide.

spring-shootfest-006.jpg  

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Good to hear Dragon.

Let us know how you do.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Excellent. Best wishes.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good luck dude and nice to hear from you.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm confused, I thought you already had it.

Anyways, mad respect. I doubt I could handle it. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #7

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I plan on going regional or getting on a dedicated account if I can. My wife doesn't want me to go OTR for the obvious reasons. I'm checking out a couple of companies including USA Truck, Roehl, and Swift. TMC turned me down saying they went with a different applicant.

Driving in heavy traffic is not too bad until you get some moron pull out in front of you. The other day I was driving down 10th street in Jeffersonville IN in the heavy rain with cars all around me. The traffic lane I was in was only about a foot wider than the truck and there was a curb on one side that I had to be careful not to run up on. On Friday I only made one mistake, I shifted from 4th gear to 5th before my trailer tandems crossed a set of railroad tracks.

The only thing I'm worried about is the pre-trip part of the test. I've got the parking manuevers down pretty good. I can parallel park a Ford L9000 with a48 footer like a pro.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 06-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #8

You'll become well aquainted with morons.....its amazing what people will do to keep from getting stuck behind a truck
as for the pre-trip,it becomes second nature after you do it a hundred times or so
best advice I can give for the test is MIRRORS,MIRRORS,MIRRORS
check them every 4 to 6 seconds,let your tester see that you are checking them,they really stress this at our saftey meetings and a buddy who is going through CDL classes says they stress it as well.
good luck!

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Times moves fast! soon you will be on the road with 18 wheels under you. Congrats

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.