Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   One Thing Is Not Like The Other (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/one-thing-not-like-other-19101/)

user4 10-13-2009 03:30 PM

One Thing Is Not Like The Other

I just saw on Fox news where Foreigner was doing a live set in NYC. The band consists of members,

Mick Jones
Kelly Hansen
Thom Gimbal
Michael Bluestein
Jeff Pilson
and Brian Tichy

With only Mick Jones(guitarist) as an original member(all other members came on in late 90s or later and WAY after all their success). Is this really Foreigner? I call BS. This is just a cover band trying to squeeze some money off of other people's labor and getting away with it.

But then, is Pink Floyd still Pink Floyd without Roger Waters? Most of the band is original (Original enough) I think they are. Gilmore is not the writer that Waters is, but he IS and always has been the sound. What say you contentious bastards?

Don't just post an opinion, post the reason for it.

matt g 10-13-2009 03:34 PM

Dave Gilmour was a huge part of what Pink Floyd was, but without Roger Waters, there is no Pink Floyd.

I've never listened to Foreigner much, but once more than a 1/2 of a band has left, they should have to change their name, rather than ride on the coat tails of a great band's name.

cpttango30 10-13-2009 03:39 PM

Foreigner is for queers and people who squat to pee.

matt g 10-13-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 173539)

Tell us how you really feel Tango, don't hold back. You're among friends here.

NGIB 10-13-2009 04:05 PM

Is Journey still Journey without Steve Perry? Personally I like Arnel Pineda just fine on vocals...

user4 10-13-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 173539)

Got all their albums, eh? Probably a tramp stamp tattooed on your lower back, too.

canebrake 10-13-2009 04:38 PM

I find your two choices in bands interesting for several reasons.

I have seen Pink Floyd five times in concert; I think I have heard Foreigner in an elevator a time or two.

During their jam this morning, Foreigner may have attracted 50 people in NYC. Pink Floyd would not do a NYC street jam, would not be allowed to because of the crowd control issue and getting them together again is nigh on impossible (not based on personalities but they simply do not get up at 7:00 AM)!

I think a far more significant event in the bandís evolution was the loss of Sid Barrett.

user4 10-13-2009 04:49 PM

I wondered if anyone would bring up Barrett. If it wasn't for Sid losing his mind, there wouldn't have been a David Gilmore. Would Floyd be as popular? Good question.

matt g 10-13-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 173560)
I wondered if anyone would bring up Barrett. If it wasn't for Sid losing his mind, there wouldn't have been a David Gilmore. Would Floyd be as popular? Good question.

The post Barrett work is better.

robocop10mm 10-13-2009 05:56 PM

Never really cared for Foreigner. My thought is if more than 50% of a band is no longer with the band (and still alive) the band should not call them selves by the original name. They should morph the name like Jefferson Airplane did over the years. Of course this does not apply to "bands" like Nine Inch Nails which is simply Trent Reznor and a few contracted musicians.