One Second After - Have you read it?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > One Second After - Have you read it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default One Second After - Have you read it?

One Second After - By William R. Forstchen

In this entertaining apocalyptic thriller from Forstchen (We Look Like Men of War), a high-altitude nuclear bomb of uncertain origin explodes, unleashing a deadly electromagnetic pulse that instantly disables almost every electrical device in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world. Airplanes, most cars, cellphones, refrigerators—all are fried as the country plunges into literal and metaphoric darkness. History professor John Matherson, who lives with his two daughters in a small North Carolina town, soon figures out what has happened. Aided by local officials, Matherson begins to deal with such long-term effects of the disaster as starvation, disease and roving gangs of barbarians. While the material sometimes threatens to veer into jingoism, and heartstrings are tugged a little too vigorously, fans of such classics as Alas, Babylon and On the Beachwill have a good time as Forstchen tackles the obvious and some not-so-obvious questions the apocalypse tends to raise. Newt Gingrich provides a foreword. (Mar.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

~Excerpt taken from amazon description.

Has anyone read this book? I just finished it and its a really great book. Very interesting book about the preparedness that we should have.

What do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #2

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 231

yep, a bit of an eye opener eh?

I'm not sure which is scarier, the story or the last page that points out how vulnerable we are to such an event and how little we've done to prepare or protect ourselves(the USA) from it occuring.

reading that book was sort of like watching "The Road"

did you take back your electronic gun safe yet?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I have read it and enjoyed it. There is a reading list in the survival section of other related books our members have read.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #4

I will have to check out that survival section. Its one hell of a eye opener. My full time job is a firefighter / emt. I found out about this book while training at the center of domestic preparedness. It becomes much scarier when you train on the topics i train with.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
did you take back your electronic gun safe yet?
I have wondered about the electronical keypad on mine. I know some rednecks with cutting torches though and have taken a good look at how to get into it should this kind of event occur when i am not at home (always unlocked when home). I would be PO'd to be left with just the Mossy & whatever i had in the car.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #6

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm with Gello, I worry about my keypad safe. I keep it open when I'm at home and awake, locked when sleeping or gone. Luckily I've seen the video on how a couple of guys broke into a safe in under 2 minutes. I think I could do it alone in half an hour without getting too beat up. The sad part is throwing it on it's back. Bad things could happen inside when doing that.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #7

orangello if i recall some of the high end safes has a alternative way if the power is dead. I am looking at a liberty safe now, most likely a Lincoln model. good thing to consider though.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroman9 View Post
orangello if i recall some of the high end safes has a alternative way if the power is dead. I am looking at a liberty safe now, most likely a Lincoln model. good thing to consider though.
Thanks! I will have to check that out; i believe mine is a Liberty sold by Gander Moutain with the GM logos & such. To be honest, i never read the entire manual. At least my ammo isn't in it, so if i went through the bottom, a plasma cutter probably wouldn't be toooooo rough on the contents. My guns are all about function with nothing too pretty anyway.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #9

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroman9 View Post
The problem with HEMP damage isn't necessarily losing power, it is that circuits could be fried. Then the motor/acturator/keypad won't respond. A back door into the safe would then be needed. I unfortunately bought my safe way before I got concerned about nasty stuff like HEMP.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've read any number of End of the World/Catastrophic Event/How Will the Human Race Survive stories with varying degrees of realism. Lucifer's Hammer is another good one, just because I like the idea of a guy trying to preserve the knowledge that would be usefull to rebuilding civilazation by double wrapping a bunch a books and stuffing them in a septic tank to prevent their descovery/destruction. Then using the same cache of knowledge to bargain with. I suppose reloading manuals would be something to preserve in addition to how to make insulin (from sheep pancreas) etc.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."