Omaha Nebraska Mall Shooting - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Omaha Nebraska Mall Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From what I've heard now the gun was actually an SKS.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 AM   #12

I understand your point, but the issue here is not the type of weapon used, I understand that it looks like a nasty military rifle, so is an SKS, in my view the gun activist should be prepared to denouce such cowardly actions and take the wider view of joining the debate on why this sort of thing is going on.

The general public must be drawn into the debate, they want the reason for this man's behaviour, and how he came into the possession of the rifle in the first place, when he was obviously to those who knew him to be disturbed with a criminal record. Lets face it guns have been around along time, so why in the last few years has this been a problem, lack of respect, lack of social responsibility, I don't know I am not a shrink. I do know it's not a gun problem, it's a social one, the anti gun lobby know that. The difficult job is to educate the public to the truth.

The anti gun lobby is not just trying to take away semi automatic rifles they want the lot, even the blunderbus if they can, make no mistake. Thanks for the picture, I know what a AKM looks like, that one looks a little beat up....

Old 12-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #13

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default --

Looks like it was indeed an AK.

Personal impact for me; I've been considering buying an AK for a long time, and now I'm going to do it before it becomes impossible. Next week, in fact.

You can still get a good-quality AK for under $500. If you want one, now looks like a good time.

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 12-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #14

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

The weapon was a WASR-10, a Romanian-made semi-automatic knock-off of the AK-47, which was not covered on the last illegal assault weapons ban. The 30 round mag.s would not of been covered either sense it applied to post ban mag.s and not anything made before and there were a lot of them still on the market.

The mall was a gun free zone which was posted as such up until the shooting then they removed the no guns allowed signs on the building. as was reported by a friend that lives there and went and looked.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
From what I've heard now the gun was actually an SKS.
Erm...the SKS's I'm familiar with (WWII era) take clips like an M1 and don't take external magazines. One article reported on an "SKS-type weapon".

Michelle Malkin had an image of the shooter from a security cam and it sure looked like he had a WASR10 or something similar.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #16
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
Looks like it was indeed an AK.

Personal impact for me; I've been considering buying an AK for a long time, and now I'm going to do it before it becomes impossible. Next week, in fact.

You can still get a good-quality AK for under $500. If you want one, now looks like a good time.
Good for you! A local gun shop has a bunch of WASR10s in stock and I'm considering it, too. (Mostly because I can't afford another AR-15 at the moment....)

Old 12-10-2007, 02:41 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Erm...the SKS's I'm familiar with (WWII era) take clips like an M1 and don't take external magazines. One article reported on an "SKS-type weapon".

Michelle Malkin had an image of the shooter from a security cam and it sure looked like he had a WASR10 or something similar.
I've had trouble finding a conclusive answer to what type of gun it was. I just heard it was an SKS, I've also heard AK47. Looks like it was a WASR10.

You've never seen an SKS with a 30 round mag attached? Look at the few farthest right.

Not my guns unfortunately.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #18
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
You've never seen an SKS with a 30 round mag attached? Look at the few farthest right.
All the SKS's I've seen that take mags were modified and originally didn't take mags. Were there factory-made SKS's that take AK mags?

(Sorry, I realize this is off-topic. I'm just curious about this.)

Old 12-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
All the SKS's I've seen that take mags were modified and originally didn't take mags. Were there factory-made SKS's that take AK mags?

(Sorry, I realize this is off-topic. I'm just curious about this.)
I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure, I believe if it takes an extended detachable mag it is after market, not factory.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #20

Default Simonov SKS Carbine

The Military Simonov designed SKS Carbine used throught the majority of the Soviet bloc was never manuactured or adapted by them to take detatchable magazines............