Omaha Nebraska Mall Shooting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Omaha Nebraska Mall Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Omaha Nebraska Mall Shooting

Early reports indicate the Omaha Mall shooter was a screwed up 19 year old. He had been “kicked out” by his parents, so a well intentioned, but naive (read liberal) mother of a friend gave him shelter, so she could “help” him. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve dealt with similar situations, which almost always end in tragedy, although usually not on such a grand scale.

The weapon is being reported as an “AK47,” but we shall see what it actually turns out to be. The rifle was stolen from his step-father (the same one who kicked him out?), which is another argument for every gun owner having a gun safe. At least the chief didn't call it an "assault weapon." Yet.

The kid was a loser, with a drug and alcohol problem, who’s parents had given up on him. He is a school drop-out who couldn’t maintain a job or personal relationships. The Omaha police chief said it also appears the mall was chosen because it's a large public place where he'd get a lot of attention. In one of his notes, he wrote, “I'm a piece of **** and now I'm going to be famous.”

As we learn more, the media will eventually come around to focusing on the evil gun, and renew the clarion call for more gun “control.” The Second Amendment will no doubt come under renewed attack, but given the fact that this punk shot up the mall in order to become famous, like Klebold & Harris, I wonder if the First Amendment free press clause come under attack too? Somehow I don’t think so.

I wonder if Westroads Mall is a gun free zone? Their web site doesn’t say.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello all! I'm new to this website, but a long time gun enthusiast. I recently got my CCL, Hearing about this news just proves one more reason more people should carry. I think I remember seeing a sign at our local malls. I would think it would be like this at most malls sadly. It seems like most places are banning guns now. It doesn't really make sense. How often do you hear about someone with their CCL shooting a store they're in? It's always about someone just walking in and shooting.

Last edited by slwarren; 12-06-2007 at 11:36 PM.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is very tragic indeed. These type of people make me sick. Rather than working hard and becoming famous for doing something good they feel the need to destroy numerous families just to be remembered. Just because they couldn't adjust and learn to live a meaningful life they have to do things like this. I could care less if this scum bag killed himself, but to take down so many innocent people just to "go out in style" which I heard was also in one of the notes her wrote is absurd.

What are the current numbers? Last I heard 8 dead 5 injured 3 critical.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 12-07-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I was a screwed up 19 year old loser with a drug and alcohol problem. My dad kicked my ass and I joined the army. I turned out pretty well. He just really needed to get his ass kicked a couple of times.

I feel for the families of the victims.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Well, that didn't take long. Ask candidates why military guns OK'd for public, advocate urges.

Quote:
Iowans should press presidential candidates for their views on assault weapons in light of Wednesday's shopping-mall massacre in Omaha, a national gun-control advocate said Thursday.

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said Thursday that the 30-round ammunition clips Robert Hawkins reportedly used in Wednesday's shootings in Omaha would have been illegal to purchase under the assault-weapons ban.

Helmke said it was not clear whether the gun itself, described as an AK-47-style assault rifle, would have been covered by the ban. But it should be illegal, he said.
Paul, if you want your wishes to come true, get elected king. Until then, your opinions are worth less than I paid for them.

What really pisses me off is the amount of disinformation this guy knowingly spews to an uninformed electorate.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #6

Gentlemen

Firstly let me express from everyone over here our profound sadness on the news of this cowardly criminal act, there is little anyone can say about such events.

I am unfamilar with US domestic politics let alone some of the personalities involved, where they stand on gun control, either for or against. If the European example is to be taken the anti gun lobby may well appeal direct to the general electerate, of whom even in the US is far larger than the hardcore shooting community. They will all go with the flow of public concern.

The mere idea that the banning of firearms will end crimes of this nature is nothing sort of idiotic, which they of course know, but in the short term will calm the general public. In the UK last month the Home Office broke the news of a sweeping success against inner city gun violence, coordinated raids across the country, netted 1800 plus handguns, taken out of the hands of career criminals (sounds good, I'll vote for that?). But out of the operation as I understand it only one actual firearm was recovered, a Glock 19 with 10 rounds, the rest, plastic toys and immitations! They are running out of excuses, it is illegal in the UK to possess a handgun. Just before he left office than crackpot Tony Blair said after a shooting incident in Manchester, 'We are looking to review gun legislation', someone ought to have told him there is nothing left to legistate about, the goverment have got all the legal guns!

But to the case in hand, Pioneer mentioned that this man stole the rifle from his step father, and the point about securing weapons is well made. The step father given the boy's history did not deem fit to report the theft of the weapon, and I have no doubt will tell the authorities he didn't realise it was missing.......... Well I don't know about you guys but I know if the wife has had the audasity to enter my gunroom to polish the safe, let alone take a gun.

I am not one to witch hunt as we still do not know the full circumstances, but the owner of the weapon must take the responsibility of security for the weapon, all of you guys who have been in the military or police have it drilled into us from day one, now we are out it's just the same, as it should be for all firearms owners.

Over to you Ron.......

Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
What really pisses me off is the amount of disinformation this guy knowingly spews to an uninformed electorate.
I've seen quite a bit of anti-gun propaganda on the news over the past few days. Unfortunately, the uninformed voters will probably take this propaganda to heart when voting in the upcoming election.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I doubt it was an actual AK47, I hope they get an actual gun expert to verify what type of gun it is so people are properly informed.

I've seen many police officers who don't know jack squat about guns, so if it was a police officer who ID'ed the gun I'm skeptical that he was right. I once was watching cops and a police officer picked up what was clearly an SKS and said "Yeah I found an AK47 full auto".

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 12-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #9

It really doesn't matter what kind of gun it was, does it? Eight people are dead, it could have been a blunderbus, that's not the point. We should concentrate on how this bleeding crackpot, who was obviously not a fit and proper person to be in possession of a sling shot, let alone a semi-automatic rifle got his hands on one.

My experience with US police officers is quite the contrary, most of them that I have had anything to do with can spot an AK/AKM, in fact most of us can, after all they are seen on CNN every five minutes........

Old 12-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
It really doesn't matter what kind of gun it was, does it? Eight people are dead, it could have been a blunderbus, that's not the point. We should concentrate on how this bleeding crackpot, who was obviously not a fit and proper person to be in possession of a sling shot, let alone a semi-automatic rifle got his hands on one.

My experience with US police officers is quite the contrary, most of them that I have had anything to do with can spot an AK/AKM, in fact most of us can, after all they are seen on CNN every five minutes........
It may seem like a minor detail but all it does is spread more and more misinformation. You see, no one is trying to keep us from owning a blunderbuss, but they are trying to ban "assault" rifles.

I would say 8 out of 10 people when seeing this:

Would assume it is a fully automatic weapon. That kind of ignorance is not good for anyone especially gun activists.

- Jack Handey