Old trucks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Old trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default Old trucks

Gotta love em, starter just went out on my 83' 150 outside the nearby Chinese take out place. With the help of my pops (downsouth) to get me up the road to autozone, all that stood between a broke down vehicle and getting about my weekend was two bolts,a terminal connection clamp,50 bucks for a new starter and about an hour under it all. I'm sure driving a new 2012 pickup is nice and all,but it's pretty nice to be able to pop the hood,and literally climb in there find a comfortable seat and get to wrenching whenever something goes wrong. I've had the truck for a few years now, (since highschool) and even though it's a bit older than I am,it's treated me a whole lot better than I've treated it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #2

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I had an 88' F150 and aside from the giant hole in the tank connected to the 351 V-8 i loved it. My grandpa used to ask me, "You still dragging that fuel trailer around with you?" It got about 10 mpg on a good day. What i liked about having an old truck was you never had to worry about dings or scratches. I hit a deer at 70 mph once and just kept driving, after work i went to the local junkyard and got another grill for 20 bucks.

A guy broke down in town one day in the middle of an intersection in front of me. He was also in an old truck, a chevy. He asked if a could pull him out of the road but neither of us had a chain so i just pushed him, bumper to bumper. The town marshall saw it and thought it was funny.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue79
How'd it sound when you bolted the starter in and cranked it over? I can put a rebuilt one in my 1986 Bronco and it will grind unless I put a shim in front of it.
It sounds different that the last one did for sure,but it starts up strong as ever. Ill have to keep an ear open the next few times I start it up and see if that may be the case with mine as well

Old 03-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
I had an 88' F150 and aside from the giant hole in the tank connected to the 351 V-8 i loved it. My grandpa used to ask me, "You still dragging that fuel trailer around with you?" It got about 10 mpg on a good day. What i liked about having an old truck was you never had to worry about dings or scratches. I hit a deer at 70 mph once and just kept driving, after work i went to the local junkyard and got another grill for 20 bucks.

A guy broke down in town one day in the middle of an intersection in front of me. He was also in an old truck, a chevy. He asked if a could pull him out of the road but neither of us had a chain so i just pushed him, bumper to bumper. The town marshall saw it and thought it was funny.
Mines just as bad on gas,probably worse. Yours would have been fuel injected by 88,mines carbed. But yea I definantly feel like I'm getting robbed at gunpoint at the pumps

Old 03-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks

Just kept driving? I would have stop and picked up dinner,,, that's what you call fast food.......

Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #6

I love my 95 Bronco the best Ford ever made!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #7

Liked 812 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 931

I went from a beat up old International, missing windows, to a nice new Cadillac, back to a beat up old International.....

Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 70 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I have got a 1966 Chevy that I dragged out of a field 17 yrs ago, the bed was junk and had a small pine sappling growing through the bed. I got it home and started tearing it apart. Anyway I pretty much rebuilt the whole truck I work as a machinist in a Automotive machine shop so the original 283 still looks stock but puts out about 325hp and will light up the back tires. The young fellows that come in there all want to buy it but I just smile and say no thanks. I dont drive it much any more except mostly on the weekends. No A/C, No Power Brakes, No Power Steering just V8 and hold on...

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc

Just kept driving? I would have stop and picked up dinner,,, that's what you call fast food.......
I would have but i didnt have any way of keeping the meat from going bad. It was july and i was heading to work, it wouldve been in my truckbed under a fiberglass topper all day.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a 72 stepside Chevy C10. It's got 350 with the 4 speed granny gears. It's in the shop right now gettin all prettied up.
Light blue.

Stay safe, stay Second Amendment.