Old Sniper; 84-year old Ted Gundy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Old Sniper; 84-year old Ted Gundy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default Old Sniper; 84-year old Ted Gundy

From Whinchester's: The Shooting Wire for Monday, February 8

FEATURE
Old Sniper

It was a simple question 84-year old Ted Gundy put to the guys at Shooting USA's Impossible Shots: "How is it possible for snipers today to hit targets from such long ranges?"

From most of us, it would have been a gee-whiz kind of question, the kind that gets a polite "thanks for watching, snipers use...." kind of form letter response.

But Ted Gundy wasn't just another TV fan. Gunday was asking about today, based on his own experiences from yesterday.

In 1944, Ted Gundy was an army sniper fighting World War II in Europe. More specifically, fighting in the cold and horrible conditions of the Battle of the Bulge, the definitive name in United States Army combat - still the largest battle ever fought by United States troops.

Gundy also wanted something else- he wanted to try one of those long shots himself. "The more we checked, the more we realized we had a unique opportunity here," says Shooting USA's Jim Scoutten, "Ted Gundy could still wear his WWII uniform blouse- the Eisenhower jacket. He marched in every Memorial Day parade, despite being an amputee. He had a full set of dress greens he used as a member of the Missouri honor guard - he wore them to render funeral honors to veterans of World War II."

"And," Scoutten added, "we realized those World War II heroes were dying in greater and greater numbers."

So, his team pulled together an almost impossible answer for Gundy. The Army Marksmanship Unit commander thought it was a great idea. Public affairs got Gundy and his son cleared for VIP on-base housing, and the deal came together.

So for a week, the old sniper was a VIP guest of the modern Army at Fort Benning, Georgia.

That's the premise of a special episode of Impossible Shots, entitled, appropriately enough "Old Sniper". I first watched it Wednesday night, and I didn't take a single note. I couldn't. Instead, I was transfixed watching one of the fewer-by-the-day remaining members of "our greatest generation" watching today's warriors ply their trade.

It wasn't the gee-whiz nature of today's gear for a veteran who fought with a 03-Springfield equipped with a primitive riflescope that held my attention, it was the reverence with which Gundy was treated by today's soldiers.

Sure, I enjoyed watching Gundy tour the exact recreation of the barracks, mess halls - and latrines- he remembered from more than six decades earlier in Fort Benning's historical areas, and his VIP treatment in the new Infantry Museum.

But I was moved by the way the sniper of old was revered by the snipers of today. As SFC Robby Johnson explained, "they were amazing marksmen. They were given a bolt-action rifle, some rudimentary zeroing time, and then told 'go forth' - and they made the same kinds of shots we make today."

It seemed like a lot of polite talk and a little exaggeration - until Val Forgett of Navy Arms presented the old sniper with a brand-new, exact replica of the rifle he carried across Europe until a German shell cut short his war - and his right leg.

Gundy was taken to a firing line with his new rifle, and the transformation was almost magical.

Today, Gundy's gait might be uncertain, his hands shaky and his hearing electronically enhanced (but not always quite enough), but when he settled behind "his" 03 Springfield A4 sniper rifle, none of that mattered.

From a basic rest, he proceeded to make hits on a silhouette target -at 300 yards. Each one was better than the previous, with the final round landing dead center.

Time didn't stand still, but it was held at bay- at least for three shots.

That's only part of the story you'll see in this special episode of "Impossible Shots" - and I don't want to give it all away.

Normally, I'm pretty much immune to those "moments" created by television shows. That's because most "moments" are created. In this episode, there' was no need to create anything - simply capturing the action spoke volumes.

There are plenty of "moments" packed into this half-hour.

Some of them will swell your chest; others will moisten your eyes.

You can catch "The Old Sniper" February 17 on Outdoor Channel.

There will be an encore airing on Saturday, February 20.

There are other WW II veterans out there, and the unassuming Ted Gundy said -repeatedly- he didn't deserve the hero's treatment. I disagree.

When Ltc. Daniel Hodne presented Gundy with his own black cap - given only to AMU elite shooters - he and his unit gave a heartfelt thank you to the generation of warriors that came before them.

Well done, gentlemen, well done.

--Jim Shepherd

HOO effin' RAH, and thanks DAD! (He was there in the Ardennes and Hurken Forests, winter 1944-45)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Outstanding! I made a note and I'll be watching the program.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #3

Default Cane

I'm sorry, but this brought tears to my eyes.

Is there a way I can link this to my son's e-mail?

M

Keep your head down!!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #4

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Thanks for the thread Cane. i will be setting the DVR for this.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I WILL be watching next Wednesday. I always wondered about the scopes on those WW2 sniper rifles; they aren't much to look at.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:00 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Watching the tail end of this on the Outdoor Channel right now and there must be some dust in my eyes...sniff, sniff. Damn! Gets me every time!

Respect!

Shows again on OTDCH

11:30PM Wednesday 17th
1:30PM Saturday 20th

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 02-18-2010 at 03:06 AM.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bumped out of respect for WWII Vets!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #8

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Watched the show, the man still has it. three rounds within 5" @ 1000 yards. This show actually brought tears to my eyes in the way they honored him on the show. Kudos to the show producers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim.......

Old 02-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2116

Default Old snipers

Old snipers never die. They're Hidden, waiting for their next shot. One shot one kill. I hold a special place in my heart for these fighters of Freedom. They may have passed away but not forgotten

Old 02-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #10

That guys still has what it takes after all those years! 5"/3 shot group @ 1000 yds!!! Way to go...