Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Old rifles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/old-rifles-51119/)

Rex in OTZ 11-03-2011 08:31 PM

Old rifles

5 Attachment(s)
I came across this sight that had pic's of rifles I knew existed but never saw the pic of.

WWII

top is a Madsen-Rasmusson model 1888
second is a Madsen-Rasmusson Model 1896 (first recongnized military issue self loader)....way to Go Danes!!
thrid is the Mendoza Mondragon this obscure rifle was issued in WWI & WWII in no less than 17 nations(mexico/austria-hungary/brazil/chile/vichey france/german empire/weimar republic/natzi germany/republic of korea/empire of japan/peru/republic of china/philippines/peoples republic of china/soviet union/vietnam/lituania)
Farquar-Hill model 1918 too late for great war
Bottom was the (cir 1910) Chinese Liu Qing En self loading Rifle this model SN#7 dated 1914 the chinese general behind its development died and program fizzled, 8mm gas operated rifle, prototype tweaked by Springfield Armory/tooling produced by Colt, this a gas trap design based off the Danish Bang Rifle(Way to Go Danes!!) the US Garand was based off of the Bang gas trap theory.

c3shooter 11-03-2011 10:13 PM

Rex- there is surprising stuff that you stumble over. One of the newer popular pistol rounds is the 40 S&W- but if you look back to about 1912, Colt was developing the 9.8mm ACP. That is pretty danged close to .40 caliber. There were only 2 or 3 guns built, and a very small amount of ammo (I have ONE cartridge)

Rex in OTZ 11-03-2011 10:28 PM

.276 Pederson /.280 British

4 Attachment(s)
If the accountant curmudgions of tha last century hadnt put the kah-bash on these rounds I wonder where we would be today?

.276 Pedersen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pedersen rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
pedersen

.280 British - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
EM-2 rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rex in OTZ 11-03-2011 10:38 PM

White Rifles

1 Attachment(s)
THE WHITE RIFLES

Rex in OTZ 11-03-2011 10:43 PM

Carlton Automatic rifle

3 Attachment(s)
Lee-Enfield SMLE - Gunpedia

Charlton Automatic Rifle. - Collections Online - Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa

Top pic is the Australian, the ones with cresent mags are the New Zealand models

Rex in OTZ 11-03-2011 10:48 PM

The Howell and The Reider

2 Attachment(s)
The need for more fire power by converting existing turn .303 bolt rifles to self feeders

Lee-Enfield SMLE - Gunpedia

Rex in OTZ 11-03-2011 11:08 PM

Jap Type 4 and Type 5 rifles

1 Attachment(s)
I found one photo (photo Bucket) of the Type 4 rifle which looks like a bolt gun with a 20 round mag? its sandwiched between to self feeders but havent found any info on this one.
The Type 5 is a copy of the US Garand

Some interesting tid bits
ASSAULT RIFLES AND THEIR AMMUNITION: