Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Old Patent Searches??? Anyone have experience with this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Shot in the dark! I'm looking into a revolver I have that was made by my great grandfather. Sadly my grandfather (his son) passed away many many years ago and no family stories were left behind with it. The only thing I have to go with is his name/location (stamped on frame), and stamped into the bottom of the butt is "No. 1 Patent Applied For". I've done basic Internet searches and came up empty, but admit I'm way out of my element. Don't even know if records exist for " patents applied for" and not just fully trademarked patents. All of this is basically for family history, I'd love to see original blueprints and such if they exist at the patent office. Any good info or knowledge on how to pursue this, I'm not against a professional service to look into it, but would like to be better informed before I go that route. Thanks guys and gals, any and all ideas appreciated...

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 01-28-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Mosin Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Patents applied for most certainly exist! There is a national archived database of all patent applications from when the national patent office was established. This process was digitized recently, and is kept on file to settle any and all disputes arising from any claim of patent infringement.

Sice you're dealing with a firearms patent application, you will need to search patent application form F. You can pay someone to do this for you, for a fee of $50 (USD), or you can do it yourself. Sadly, these forms are not currently available for download, as they havent been digitized as of yet. Due to it being a rather older patent application. The famous ones (The lightbulb, for example) have been digitized for research, and due to high demand.
I doubt this is the case, unless it was a famous firearm patent application, like a Schofield revolver.

Never the less, you can still call (800) 265-8756, and speak to the patent processing clerk in Martinsburg, West Virginia. Tell him the form F is what you are looking for, tell them it is a revolver, then give them the last name of the patent applicant. From there, they can trace the patent and mail you a hard copy of the actual patent application.
The hard copy will run you anywhere from $100-$200 (USD), and may take up to 3 weeks to be delivered to your house.

Finally, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, and just wanted to type a bunch of jibberish, that sounded cool. Sorry dude....

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #3

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
Patents applied for most certainly exist! There is a national archived database of all patent applications from when the national patent office was established. This process was digitized recently, and is kept on file to settle any and all disputes arising from any claim of patent infringement.

Sice you're dealing with a firearms patent application, you will need to search patent application form F. You can pay someone to do this for you, for a fee of $50 (USD), or you can do it yourself. Sadly, these forms are not currently available for download, as they havent been digitized as of yet. Due to it being a rather older patent application. The famous ones (The lightbulb, for example) have been digitized for research, and due to high demand.
I doubt this is the case, unless it was a famous firearm patent application, like a Schofield revolver.

Never the less, you can still call (800) 265-8756, and speak to the patent processing clerk in Martinsburg, West Virginia. Tell him the form F is what you are looking for, tell them it is a revolver, then give them the last name of the patent applicant. From there, they can trace the patent and mail you a hard copy of the actual patent application.
The hard copy will run you anywhere from $100-$200 (USD), and may take up to 3 weeks to be delivered to your house.

Finally, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, and just wanted to type a bunch of jibberish, that sounded cool. Sorry dude....
Mosin, thank you! You never fail to impress with your knowledge of many a different subject. Hopefully I can return the favor at some point. I will be calling that number tomorrow, thanks again for the helpful jibberish...

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 01-28-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #4

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude

Mosin, thank you! You never fail to impress with your knowledge of many a different subject. Hopefully I can return the favor at some point. I will be calling that number tomorrow, thanks again for the helpful jibberish...
Lol! Sorry dude. I'd love to help. I've searched patents online before, but I don't know about antiquated applications.
Honestly, look up the patent office and call them with your question. That's what I'd do.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...