Old dude shoots killer at 150+ yds with a handgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Old dude shoots killer at 150+ yds with a handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4760 Times on 2373 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

I'm not buying it. I think the news botched this story. My field is 505 yards long. I shoot all the time and I don't see someone hitting a target at that distance... A moving, reacting, human target at 165 yards... 4 of 4 shots? Even with a hunting pistol and a scope, who trains at those distances? Tell me he emptied a magazine and happened to land a shot or two, I can maybe see that. But at almost 2 football fields, your front sight is bigger than a human, and depending on the round, your going to be aiming a bit above the person to account for drop. A moving person too...
Not saying its impossible, but If true, I believe that God intervened and directed those shots on home, before i believe gramps dusted off the old pistol and nailed that goblin 4 of 4 times at a living moving human, under stress, at 165 yards.

Hell, if I hit that with an AK47 I'd be proud.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
I'm not buying it. I think the news botched this story. My field is 505 yards long. I shoot all the time and I don't see someone hitting a target at that distance... A moving, reacting, human target at 165 yards... 4 of 4 shots? Even with a hunting pistol and a scope, who trains at those distances? Tell me he emptied a magazine and happened to land a shot or two, I can maybe see that. But at almost 2 football fields, your front sight is bigger than a human, and depending on the round, your going to be aiming a bit above the person to account for drop. A moving person too...
Not saying its impossible, but If true, I believe that God intervened and directed those shots on home, before i believe gramps dusted off the old pistol and nailed that goblin 4 of 4 times at a living moving human, under stress, at 165 yards.

Heck if ya could hit anything with an AK47 you should be proud.. Haha

(just making a joke guys don't blast me for it lol)
"... I simply cannot stand by and watch a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States come under attack from those who either can't understand it, don't like the sound of it, or find themselves too philosophically squeamish to see why it remains the first among equals: Because it is the right we turn to when all else fails. That's why the Second Amendment is America's first freedom. ..."
Charlton Heston
Speech to National Press club
September, 1997

Old 08-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #13

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Because its a justified shooting with a good end
Yes it is. Too bad the media won't air stuff like this. The libs would never want how a "Weapon" in the hands of Joe public saved someones life; then the "Weapons" would then be called something less intimidating. The libs can't have that them it would be harder to pass more restrictive gun laws on the Joe public who is a law abiding citizen.
But yea that's my two cent.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #14

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

I was amazed at the distance. I can hit a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yards with my 1911. Not 4 out of 4. Maybe 4 out of 10? And nobody was shooting back. I kind of believe it though because they said the guy was shooting back with an AR and couldnt hit him. Not a position I would like to be put in.

I went back and read it again. He said that he hoped the "magnum bullet" would hold together at that distance. I bet it was a .357 mag.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3701 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

I disagree with some on this issue! The 357 Mag. Cal pistol is perfectly capable of delivering a round at 150 or 165 yards. At 100 yards it only has a 6+ Inch drop. S0 150- 165 is not out of the question. Excessive performance wise is a concern regarding energy but it can be done. I have shot one as well as a 45 ACP and 40 S&W at 50 and 100 yards very accurately on many occasions. So not impossible at all! Seven! Be careful there young man some of us older guys may be old but we are still treacherous and have the wisdom to implement it! I just attended an LE M-14 Rifle Instructor School 5 weeks ago and out shot everyone if I may brag a little out to 500 yards. I did find out a couple of things! LOL! The body does not get into the setting, kneeling and other positions as easy as it once did. As well as the ground is getting further down there and the sky is getting farther up there!!!!
Great shooting on the Old Mans performance as well as his willingness to get involve and not just set by and watch the Officer under attack!. Great job on his part!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #16

Liked 402 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin

How did he do it? With confidence that he was saving another mans life and avenging the innocents already slaughtered.

And heck At 165 yards my grandpa and his 44mag can out shoot me and my -06.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post

Mosin:
I have consistently hit a B-27 target in the upper chest cavity at a measured 100 yards with a S&W Model 19 4" using WW 145gr Silvertips. From the description the suspect was not moving but taking cover from the officers AR while exposing himself to the "Old Dude".

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #18

Liked 402 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270

Mosin:
I have consistently hit a B-27 target in the upper chest cavity at a measured 100 yards with a S&W Model 19 4" using WW 145gr Silvertips. From the description the suspect was not moving but taking cover from the officers AR while exposing himself to the "Old Dude".
With a 4in!? Damn man thats some good shooting.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #19

Liked 4760 Times on 2373 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

Here it is reported that the shots were fired at 150 feet...

You decide which is more believable.

http://www.kens5.com/news/Armed-good-Samaritan-praised-for-shooting-suspect-in-trailer-park-standoff-165740216.html

Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Lots of practice. 150' is still good shooting.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Last edited by armsmaster270; 08-13-2012 at 05:01 AM.