The old commie is gone
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The old commie is gone

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1978 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Default The old commie is gone

Well, that old, red,campus mainstay, Pete Seger has finally died. 94 years of listening to that comrade tout the glories of a system he himself wouldn't live under. He steadfastly remained in the US, collecting pay and royalties for his anti capitalist tripe.

Koomh Bayah, and say hello to Uncle Joe and Hugo.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #2

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

From the LA Times:
“As the group's popularity grew, so did interest in Seeger's connection to the Communist Party, which he had joined at Harvard. He once believed the party would help the common man, he said, but had spurned it in disgust by 1949.

How many of you had 'revolutinary ideas' when you were young? What's that line about heart & brains again?

From the NYT:
“But “Red Channels,” an influential pamphlet listing performers with suspected Communist ties, appeared in June 1950 and listed Mr. Seeger, although by then he had quit the Communist Party. He would later criticize himself for having not left the party sooner, though he continued to describe himself as a “communist with a small ‘c.’ ”

I don’t know that having sympathy for working people and antipathy toward plutocrats necessarily equates with being against Capitalism and/or for Communism. He was against the stacked deck, as am I.

(Full disclosure; I also believe in decentralization and small community integrity. I believe centralization of power, whether within the Beltway, the Kremlin, or anywhere else, inevitably results in abuse of authority.)

Last edited by Vincine; 01-28-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Capped nouns.
People Like This 
Old 01-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 697 Times on 360 Posts

Everyone should be for some form of communal living, it's a communist government that you can't have. Here's the catch 22 with communism, it sounds wonderful to value others and the community more than oneself but the fundamental idea of value is derived from valuing self first which communism eliminates. The Bible teaches to love your neighbor like yourself, in other words you must know how to love yourself before you have the ability to love others and communism destroys the idea of self. It has no possible end except in dictatorship, the people have lost the motivation for community because they have lost the idea of self and communal living must now be dictated.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 392

There is a reason most entertainers do not understand the plight of the middle class. They usually go from being very poor to very wealthy and skip right over it. I think Pete meant well but didn't get it.

I have nothing against old hippies that used to be communists. They only get one vote so fair is fair. MY problem is with current Presidents who have communist leanings......and the mindless drones who support him because their brains are stuck in 'N'

People Like This 
Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7093 Times on 4270 Posts
Likes Given: 8604

Military service: US Army (1942-45)

This "commie" served our country like most other men during WWII. He protested the Vietnam war......as did I and many others. That war was a nightmarish war we should never have been involved in. I supported the men and women fighting but I abhored the war.

Pete Seeger was a good, honest man who had a huge heart. Married to the same woman for over 70 years.

Thank you to all the others supporting Pete in this thread. He was an honorable and honest man who stood up for what he believed in, just as the OP is here.

People Like This 
Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Troll Scout
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1013 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 578

I guess I missed the part of him being alive until today.....

His son reported he was choppin' wood a few days ago.....Vaya Con Dios bendejo.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7093 Times on 4270 Posts
Likes Given: 8604

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f61/pete-seeger-103362/
dango Likes This 
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3168 Times on 1800 Posts
Likes Given: 18402

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Everyone should be for some form of communal living, it's a communist government that you can't have. Here's the catch 22 with communism, it sounds wonderful to value others and the community more than oneself but the fundamental idea of value is derived from valuing self first which communism eliminates. The Bible teaches to love your neighbor like yourself, in other words you must know how to love yourself before you have the ability to love others and communism destroys the idea of self. It has no possible end except in dictatorship, the people have lost the motivation for community because they have lost the idea of self and communal living must now be dictated.
So then , what kind of Gov. Are we living..?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 697 Times on 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
So then , what kind of Gov. Are we living..?

If you're judging by the symptoms....

Old 01-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1942 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Seger probably understood in 1949 what took some others much longer: That Soviet Communism was a smokescreen for recruiting useful idiots to advance the new Russian Empire. But he probably was a starry eyed commie of the domestic variety, with a different sort of smoke in his head. R.I.P.

There is no comparison between the US govt, including the current administration, and the Kremlin. Anyone who thinks there is, has a little Seger in him.

Closed Thread