Old cemetery on my parents land - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Old cemetery on my parents land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1511 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 3280

And just a little trivial info for those that don't know. The difference between a cemetery and graveyard is that a graveyard is attached to a church. It's similar to your house having a front yard and backyard. The church just happens to have a yard with graves.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I noticed a very old looking area fenced off in a graveyard at a church I pass every day. Some of them have 1600 and very early 1700 dates on them. Very cool thinking about that some of the people died before even the revolutionary war.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7816 Times on 4691 Posts
Likes Given: 9843

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
And just a little trivial info for those that don't know. The difference between a cemetery and graveyard is that a graveyard is attached to a church. It's similar to your house having a front yard and backyard. The church just happens to have a yard with graves.
I didn't know that. Thanks for that bit of info.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I too was on vacation in Tennessee a couple of years ago and stumbled onto my family's cemetery, where I saw many great-great grandparents gravesites, and the resting place of many great aunts and uncles. Never knew where they were buried until then.

img_20111117_124822.jpg  
Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #25

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts

Nice stories. I've tried to research my family but the trail runs cold at my great grandfather. He was born in Germany somewhere. An inscription on an old bible is the only evidence of his name and my great grandmothers name. My grandfather was born in Russia. It is hard to find graves in Europe!
I do like visiting cemeteries. A local one has a group of decorated vets from many wars and a former governor. Another nearby has two Medal of Honor recipients (civil and WW2).
On a trip to Mackinac Island, I visited the fort and read the stories of the people who lived and served there and then searched for their graves.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #26

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
Nice stories. I've tried to research my family but the trail runs cold at my great grandfather. He was born in Germany somewhere. An inscription on an old bible is the only evidence of his name and my great grandmothers name. My grandfather was born in Russia. It is hard to find graves in Europe!
I do like visiting cemeteries. A local one has a group of decorated vets from many wars and a former governor. Another nearby has two Medal of Honor recipients (civil and WW2).
On a trip to Mackinac Island, I visited the fort and read the stories of the people who lived and served there and then searched for their graves.
It is a shame that you lost your linage at your GGF. I suspect that many records were lost in Germany in the 1940s.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-31-2013, 01:50 AM   #27
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7816 Times on 4691 Posts
Likes Given: 9843

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
My paternal grandparents were born in Russia, too. It is difficult to get any records out of Russia. My cousin is doing a grand job on the Sicilian side.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1511 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 3280

I've never really been interested in my family history before coming to America and I'm not sure why? Even after coming to America, I haven't been that interested in family history before my family came to this area. I've always been fascinated with the history of this area which goes back further than family history here. It's interesting to know what family members did and so on, but I'm just not really interested in their homes. I guess this is just home for me now regardless of how I ended up here?

Not to mention there are so many branches on the family tree. My family name is German but I'm also part Cherokee, Irish, and Scotch. And that's just what I know about.

Good luck though to anyone trying to go further back.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #29

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There is a a place near my house that the wrought iron sign over the entrance says "Burying Ground". I haven't been through there but with all the confederate flags at the graves it must be for civil war casualties or possibly a mix of civilians too.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.