Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ok this is RIDICULOUS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Why can't we execute insane people? Put them in "the chair" and tell them it's a roller coaster. They're crazy, right?
Honestly, I don't understand the real harm in lethally injecting them in such extreme cases.

There is the argument that they can't understand the difference between "right and wrong" and shouldn't be judged on it, but if a dog (or a bear) killed a dozen or so movie viewers, that animal would be euthanized.

What am I missing?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #22
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1616 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Quote:
Why can't we execute insane people? Put them in "the chair" and tell them it's a roller coaster. They're crazy, right?
I think you are painting with too broad a brush. I would make a distinction between 'insane' people & dangerous people.

Most people who are 'insane' aren't dangerous. They are actually a lot more likely to be victims than perpetrators. Most people who are dangerous aren't insane. There is some overlap, but I think the emphasis should be protecting society from the dangerous people, however we may chose to do it, regardless of whether they're insane or not.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6087 Times on 3340 Posts
Likes Given: 11675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I think you are painting with too broad a brush. I would make a distinction between 'insane' people & dangerous people.

Most people who are 'insane' aren't dangerous. They are actually a lot more likely to be victims than perpetrators. Most people who are dangerous aren't insane. There is some overlap, but I think the emphasis should be protecting society from the dangerous people, however we may chose to do it, regardless of whether they're insane or not.
Sorry, I meant insanity should not be an excuse for homicide. "Innocent by reason of insanity." I wasn't advocating eugenics and euthanasia.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1616 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Quote:
Sorry, I meant insanity should not be an excuse for homicide. "Innocent by reason of insanity." I wasn't advocating eugenics and euthanasia.
I also think the sanity of someone who has proven to be dangerous, is irrelevant.
People Like This 
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #25
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 917 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
The only issue I have with this is 'forcing' anyone to attend, not everyone that age has the mental capacity to witness such an event and in some cases more harm then good can be done.. Especially in children, some could walk away with a new profound respect for the law of the land and some could walk away with the opposite disrespect for the law and it penalties..
Your POV is rather extreme.

Before you rip me, notice I said 'could' not 'will' I'm no psychologist..
I will not rip you. Yours is also a valid viewpoint. I would argue that one of the problems with todays society is your point that not all people that age would have the capacity to understand what is going on.

I read somewhere a while ago that the average 10 year old in 1900 was more mature and self sufficient than the average 25 year old of today. Because they had to be. I am not saying that we should go back to the way things were back then but there has got to be a middle that will get things back on track.

There are no easy answers here but I heard about a death row inmate in Ohio today that is appealing his sentence.

WARNING: WHAT I AN ABOUT TO TYPE WILL KEEP YOU UP ALL NIGHT, LEAVE THIS POST NOW IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH.

This piece of human debris sexually assaulted a six month girl and it killed her. His lawyer is saying that he was too drunk to know he was killing her, so with no prior intent to kill he should not have been given the death penalty. They should execute that lawyer on the gurney next to him.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20020 Times on 11383 Posts
Likes Given: 50509

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
I will not rip you. Yours is also a valid viewpoint. I would argue that one of the problems with todays society is your point that not all people that age would have the capacity to understand what is going on.

I read somewhere a while ago that the average 10 year old in 1900 was more mature and self sufficient than the average 25 year old of today. Because they had to be. I am not saying that we should go back to the way things were back then but there has got to be a middle that will get things back on track.

There are no easy answers here but I heard about a death row inmate in Ohio today that is appealing his sentence.

WARNING: WHAT I AN ABOUT TO TYPE WILL KEEP YOU UP ALL NIGHT, LEAVE THIS POST NOW IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH.

This piece of human debris sexually assaulted a six month girl and it killed her. His lawyer is saying that he was too drunk to know he was killing her, so with no prior intent to kill he should not have been given the death penalty. They should execute that lawyer on the gurney next to him.
even as i have a deep respect for our legal system the way it was designed, and everyone, "should" be considered innocent until proven guilty, and everydone deserves a fair trial and competent representation, this is why i could never, ever be a defence attorney.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #27
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 917 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
even as i have a deep respect for our legal system the way it was designed, and everyone, "should" be considered innocent until proven guilty, and everydone deserves a fair trial and competent representation, this is why i could never, ever be a defence attorney.
I agree totally. There is a story af an attorney who was asked how he could represent a criminal whom he knew to be guilty. He replied that he didn't know his client was guilty untill the jury said he was guilty.

Unfortunately a pretty good system has turned into a system of keeping score. Both the prosecuter and the defence attorneys are more concerned with their ratio of cases won and lost than with justice.

Instead of "a jury of your peers' too often it is a jury of people "too stupid to be able to get out of jury duty."
Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #28

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I think they should just release him. . . . But then he might have an accident.
Agreed. But I stand by my theory: if some of the crowd had been armed...less people might have died

Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2583 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 246

He could jump up in court, stand on the table and scream at the top of his lungs to all concerned: "I'm guilty! Really, I am. Where's the chair, let's get this over with," and would still be another 7 to10 years before they fried him.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #30

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Attachment 94472

The Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution each contain a Due Process Clause. Due process deals with the administration of justice and thus the Due Process Clause acts as a safeguard from arbitrary denial of life, liberty, or property by the Government outside the sanction of law. The Supreme Court of the United States interprets the Clauses however more broadly because these clauses provide four protections: procedural due process (in civil and criminal proceedings), substantive due process, a prohibition against vague laws, and as the vehicle for the incorporation of the Bill of Rights.

"I have faith in the system. I do not have faith in the individuals entrusted to run it!"

--yayamamasami
image-2040760117.jpg