Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ok this is RIDICULOUS

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Why can't we execute insane people? Put them in "the chair" and tell them it's a roller coaster. They're crazy, right?
Honestly, I don't understand the real harm in lethally injecting them in such extreme cases.

There is the argument that they can't understand the difference between "right and wrong" and shouldn't be judged on it, but if a dog (or a bear) killed a dozen or so movie viewers, that animal would be euthanized.

What am I missing?
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #22
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,271
Liked 1616 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Why can't we execute insane people? Put them in "the chair" and tell them it's a roller coaster. They're crazy, right?
I think you are painting with too broad a brush. I would make a distinction between 'insane' people & dangerous people.

Most people who are 'insane' aren't dangerous. They are actually a lot more likely to be victims than perpetrators. Most people who are dangerous aren't insane. There is some overlap, but I think the emphasis should be protecting society from the dangerous people, however we may chose to do it, regardless of whether they're insane or not.
__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
Vincine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 7,360
Liked 6087 Times on 3340 Posts
Likes Given: 11675

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I think you are painting with too broad a brush. I would make a distinction between 'insane' people & dangerous people.

Most people who are 'insane' aren't dangerous. They are actually a lot more likely to be victims than perpetrators. Most people who are dangerous aren't insane. There is some overlap, but I think the emphasis should be protecting society from the dangerous people, however we may chose to do it, regardless of whether they're insane or not.
Sorry, I meant insanity should not be an excuse for homicide. "Innocent by reason of insanity." I wasn't advocating eugenics and euthanasia.
__________________
MisterMcCool is online now  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,271
Liked 1616 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Sorry, I meant insanity should not be an excuse for homicide. "Innocent by reason of insanity." I wasn't advocating eugenics and euthanasia.
I also think the sanity of someone who has proven to be dangerous, is irrelevant.
__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
Vincine is offline  
5
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #25
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
F4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,231
Liked 917 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
The only issue I have with this is 'forcing' anyone to attend, not everyone that age has the mental capacity to witness such an event and in some cases more harm then good can be done.. Especially in children, some could walk away with a new profound respect for the law of the land and some could walk away with the opposite disrespect for the law and it penalties..
Your POV is rather extreme.

Before you rip me, notice I said 'could' not 'will' I'm no psychologist..
I will not rip you. Yours is also a valid viewpoint. I would argue that one of the problems with todays society is your point that not all people that age would have the capacity to understand what is going on.

I read somewhere a while ago that the average 10 year old in 1900 was more mature and self sufficient than the average 25 year old of today. Because they had to be. I am not saying that we should go back to the way things were back then but there has got to be a middle that will get things back on track.

There are no easy answers here but I heard about a death row inmate in Ohio today that is appealing his sentence.

WARNING: WHAT I AN ABOUT TO TYPE WILL KEEP YOU UP ALL NIGHT, LEAVE THIS POST NOW IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH.










This piece of human debris sexually assaulted a six month girl and it killed her. His lawyer is saying that he was too drunk to know he was killing her, so with no prior intent to kill he should not have been given the death penalty. They should execute that lawyer on the gurney next to him.
__________________
F4U is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,360
Liked 20020 Times on 11383 Posts
Likes Given: 50509

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
I will not rip you. Yours is also a valid viewpoint. I would argue that one of the problems with todays society is your point that not all people that age would have the capacity to understand what is going on.

I read somewhere a while ago that the average 10 year old in 1900 was more mature and self sufficient than the average 25 year old of today. Because they had to be. I am not saying that we should go back to the way things were back then but there has got to be a middle that will get things back on track.

There are no easy answers here but I heard about a death row inmate in Ohio today that is appealing his sentence.

WARNING: WHAT I AN ABOUT TO TYPE WILL KEEP YOU UP ALL NIGHT, LEAVE THIS POST NOW IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH.










This piece of human debris sexually assaulted a six month girl and it killed her. His lawyer is saying that he was too drunk to know he was killing her, so with no prior intent to kill he should not have been given the death penalty. They should execute that lawyer on the gurney next to him.
even as i have a deep respect for our legal system the way it was designed, and everyone, "should" be considered innocent until proven guilty, and everydone deserves a fair trial and competent representation, this is why i could never, ever be a defence attorney.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #27
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
F4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,231
Liked 917 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
even as i have a deep respect for our legal system the way it was designed, and everyone, "should" be considered innocent until proven guilty, and everydone deserves a fair trial and competent representation, this is why i could never, ever be a defence attorney.
I agree totally. There is a story af an attorney who was asked how he could represent a criminal whom he knew to be guilty. He replied that he didn't know his client was guilty untill the jury said he was guilty.

Unfortunately a pretty good system has turned into a system of keeping score. Both the prosecuter and the defence attorneys are more concerned with their ratio of cases won and lost than with justice.

Instead of "a jury of your peers' too often it is a jury of people "too stupid to be able to get out of jury duty."
__________________
F4U is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Whitewalker1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 85
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I think they should just release him. . . . But then he might have an accident.
Agreed. But I stand by my theory: if some of the crowd had been armed...less people might have died
__________________
Whitewalker1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,121
Liked 2583 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default

He could jump up in court, stand on the table and scream at the top of his lungs to all concerned: "I'm guilty! Really, I am. Where's the chair, let's get this over with," and would still be another 7 to10 years before they fried him.

__________________
Cheers,
Greg
USAF Retired
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Overkill0084 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fort Hood,TX
Posts: 1,366
Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Default

Attachment 94472

The Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution each contain a Due Process Clause. Due process deals with the administration of justice and thus the Due Process Clause acts as a safeguard from arbitrary denial of life, liberty, or property by the Government outside the sanction of law. The Supreme Court of the United States interprets the Clauses however more broadly because these clauses provide four protections: procedural due process (in civil and criminal proceedings), substantive due process, a prohibition against vague laws, and as the vehicle for the incorporation of the Bill of Rights.

"I have faith in the system. I do not have faith in the individuals entrusted to run it!"

--yayamamasami
image-2040760117.jpg  
__________________
yayamamasami is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Am I Being Ridiculous? Olympus The Club House 12 12-18-2012 06:55 AM
ridiculous gas tubes Rocc05rx8 AR-15 Discussion 17 04-21-2012 10:40 PM
...i want a ridiculous gun usmcprofessional General Handgun Discussion 42 09-24-2011 01:23 PM
This is getting to be ridiculous. Shihan Politics, Religion and Controversy 19 11-26-2009 04:09 AM
This is Ridiculous Shihan The Club House 10 10-07-2009 05:53 AM



Newest Threads