Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > OK, Just Need To Vent a Little

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default OK, Just Need To Vent a Little

Well, we just found out, officially, today, that they are closing the Boeing Facility in Wichita. It's not that we didn't really expect it, but it's really frustrating. I know, this isn't the first place to do this, but it happened.

I think what really makes me mad is they are suppose to be out at the end of 2013. And that would put me 18 months from being 55. Plus I have 27 years with them, over 1/2 my life. I saw what they did to people 7 years ago when they sold off the commercial side here, folks with just days of being 55 lost what they had in retirement from the company.

Also, Wichita is where Boeing got it's start 80 years ago. It's been a good company to work for, but for the last few years, we've all came to the realization that we're nothing but a number.

So I guess I have a couple of years to figure something out. Again, I realize I'm not the first person to go through this and won't be the last. It's just frustrating.

OK, thanks for listening/reading. Hope all has a good night.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default Geez hate to hear that

Man that would be hard to take, do you have any options... ie relocate or early retirement with reduced benefits or do you just loose 27yrs of retirement benefits... that just don't seem right! Well good luck with that maybe things will turn around for you.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

It really ticks me off that big companies think they can just treat their workers like crap and get away with it. It seems no one has the decency anymore to treat the people who work for them their whole lives something for your commitment. And the people they do it to can do virtually nothing about it, because the CEOs use the government like a hand-puppet.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #4

Liked 153 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedawg60 View Post
Well, we just found out, officially, today, that they are closing the Boeing Facility in Wichita. It's not that we didn't really expect it, but it's really frustrating. I know, this isn't the first place to do this, but it happened.

I think what really makes me mad is they are suppose to be out at the end of 2013. And that would put me 18 months from being 55. Plus I have 27 years with them, over 1/2 my life. I saw what they did to people 7 years ago when they sold off the commercial side here, folks with just days of being 55 lost what they had in retirement from the company.

Also, Wichita is where Boeing got it's start 80 years ago. It's been a good company to work for, but for the last few years, we've all came to the realization that we're nothing but a number.

So I guess I have a couple of years to figure something out. Again, I realize I'm not the first person to go through this and won't be the last. It's just frustrating.

OK, thanks for listening/reading. Hope all has a good night.
Firedawg, think positive, that you at least have 2 years to transfer.

With your present skill set, you may be able to find something around the country at another plant. So get used to the idea of moving. I know that's hard.

Otherwise you may need to find some other vocation in the area where you live.

It is a really tough world recession, caused by Wall Street, fueled by unregulated and undetected greed, and affecting all of us. None of us had anything to do with this, and none of us can control it.

Stay calm.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6962 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 8377

I'm feeling for you. I wish I had ideas or suggestions, but I don't. My thoughts are with you, though.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

What about transfering to S. Carolina. They are about to open that plant.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Hey guys, thanks for understanding. It's still early in the game. There are probably some options out there, but our direct management hasn't talked to us yet. We have another meeting to go to tomorrow and may get some more info.

I'm trying to stay positive. I know there's people out there in a lot worse shape than I am right now. I'm a firefighter for them. Right now, none of the other sites has any openings.

And like I told someone else today, for them to get this accomplished there's 1,000 steps. We're at about step 2 now. Just felt I needed to vent.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

It just broke on fox news. Boeing says it hopes to spread the jobs to OK, TX and WA. Good luck.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #9

Liked 153 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
It just broke on fox news. Boeing says it hopes to spread the jobs to OK, TX and WA. Good luck.
Of the 3 of them, Wash State has more elk, Texas has more whitetails, whereas finding a place to hunt in OKLA could be difficult I think.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8057 Times on 4651 Posts
Likes Given: 10400

I would transfer if that option is available. 18 months isn't that long. You can commute home, live in a trailer at work. Improvise, adapt and overcome.