Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > OK I think everything is falling apart around me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Now my dishwasher have worked out the screws holding it to the counter. the problem is this. The screw holes are 2 times bigger than the screws. I can't get bigger screws because they don't make them that wide and as short as I need them.

The counter top is effing particle board so it has ZERO holding power what the hell do I do to fix this. I ma hoping I can move the metal straps to put them in a new position.

I will try to get pictures of the problem.
How long are the straps. Some are longer than others.
Can you pull the washer out from underneath the counter and drill new holes in the straps further back toward the bend.
Another option is to buy mending plates from the hardware store and screw them to the underside of the counter. Then use short sheet metal screws to attach the straps back to the bottom of the counter.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I need to get the DW out from under the counter to see what I can do. I am thinking something like a furring strip of plywood gorilla glued and nailed in place. Just not sure how thick the substrate is under the laminate.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why not use some staples? They will hold well in the particle board and not want to split it like a nail or a screw would.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had this issue before--there are several brands of epoxy "putty" out there that work great. Looks like standard putty but is two part--break off how much you need, kneed it around until it warms up, clean out the holes and press it in. It will harden in an hour or so--then drill a pilot hole and screw the braces back in. Sometimes you may have to screw in some smaller screws in the opening before putting in the putty if the hole is bigger to provide grip for the putty to set. Works every time.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Tango, A counter top is typically one sheet of 3/4" particle board with 2" or so strips around the perimiter, so the edge that you normally would screw into for the DW is 1 1/2" thick, the rest is 3/4".
You may be able to just screw into the bottom of the counter a little further over from the origional spot, through a different part of the strap.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson