OK I think everything is falling apart around me.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > OK I think everything is falling apart around me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default OK I think everything is falling apart around me.

Now my dishwasher have worked out the screws holding it to the counter. the problem is this. The screw holes are 2 times bigger than the screws. I can't get bigger screws because they don't make them that wide and as short as I need them.

The counter top is effing particle board so it has ZERO holding power what the hell do I do to fix this. I ma hoping I can move the metal straps to put them in a new position.

I will try to get pictures of the problem.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can try filling the blown out areas with epoxy glue and pre-drill and reinstall the screws. I say pre-drill so the hardened epoxy doesn't break.
Alternative, use a bigger screw and glue the screw right in place with the epoxy.
Yeah particle board sucks but it is standard substrate for counter tops.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What about putting some of those inserts they sell for drywall in the holes, maybe with some silicone at the bottom of the hole?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Remind me not to let you ever touch any of our appliances.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #5

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Ditto on the epoxy glue. That or if you have the room, fix a strap of metal across the bottom of the countertop. Then reset the dw screws through the metal, might hold a bit longer.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

They make rubber inserts with a sell threaded core. As you tighten the screw or bolt it presses the rubber into the cavity. Believe they are called threaded nutserts. I use them all the time.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I had thought about drilling it out say 1/2" wide as deep as I could go then epoxying a predrilled hardwood dowel into place and then attaching it that way.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Might not be the right or best way but in my last house I had a similar issue. I cut out the partical board where the screws went, then glued in some plywood blocks. After it all cured remounted the dishwasher, never had a problem in the next six years I owned the house.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I had thought about drilling it out say 1/2" wide as deep as I could go then epoxying a predrilled hardwood dowel into place and then attaching it that way.
The only problem I see in this is you would be screwing into the end grain of the dowel. would work I'm sure for quite a while, but end grain doesn't hold screws as well as long grain. The plywood block idea would work if you can cut the area out cleanly enough for a good fit.
Doc, I never heard of the nutserts, I'll have to try to search them out and take a look.
Tango, thinking more about it, the dowel idea doesn't sound too bad. I would use at least a 3/4" dowel, find a 3/4" "forstner bit". they drill a very nice flat bottom hole. Wrap a piece of tape around the shaft of the bit to mark your depth, so you don't drill through the counter top, cause that would really piss you off! Also I would look for a hard wood dowel, preferably oak, it's harder and will hold the screw better. Good luck, I can foresee cussing when you try to drill a nice neat hole into a blown-out area of particle board. The bits gonna wobble and jump around. Once it starts you'll be alright though.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't think a nutsert would work here as they need to expand to hold themselves in place and particle board doesn't offer much strength in that area.

If it were me I would probably go with the plywood, you could make a strip to glue on which could offer a bit more support then the dowl. You may have to rework the metal hangers but as soft as they are it shouldn't be a problem.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer