Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   OK I think everything is falling apart around me. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/ok-i-think-everything-falling-apart-around-me-28129/)

cpttango30 06-10-2010 01:16 AM

OK I think everything is falling apart around me.

Now my dishwasher have worked out the screws holding it to the counter. the problem is this. The screw holes are 2 times bigger than the screws. I can't get bigger screws because they don't make them that wide and as short as I need them.

The counter top is effing particle board so it has ZERO holding power what the hell do I do to fix this. I ma hoping I can move the metal straps to put them in a new position.

I will try to get pictures of the problem.

pandamonium 06-10-2010 01:36 AM

You can try filling the blown out areas with epoxy glue and pre-drill and reinstall the screws. I say pre-drill so the hardened epoxy doesn't break.
Alternative, use a bigger screw and glue the screw right in place with the epoxy.
Yeah particle board sucks but it is standard substrate for counter tops.

orangello 06-10-2010 03:00 AM

What about putting some of those inserts they sell for drywall in the holes, maybe with some silicone at the bottom of the hole?

CA357 06-10-2010 03:17 AM

Remind me not to let you ever touch any of our appliances. ;)

dog2000tj 06-10-2010 03:43 AM

Ditto on the epoxy glue. That or if you have the room, fix a strap of metal across the bottom of the countertop. Then reset the dw screws through the metal, might hold a bit longer.

doctherock 06-10-2010 03:47 AM

They make rubber inserts with a sell threaded core. As you tighten the screw or bolt it presses the rubber into the cavity. Believe they are called threaded nutserts. I use them all the time.

cpttango30 06-10-2010 04:55 AM

I had thought about drilling it out say 1/2" wide as deep as I could go then epoxying a predrilled hardwood dowel into place and then attaching it that way.

WDB 06-10-2010 05:00 AM

Might not be the right or best way but in my last house I had a similar issue. I cut out the partical board where the screws went, then glued in some plywood blocks. After it all cured remounted the dishwasher, never had a problem in the next six years I owned the house.

pandamonium 06-10-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 297638)
I had thought about drilling it out say 1/2" wide as deep as I could go then epoxying a predrilled hardwood dowel into place and then attaching it that way.

The only problem I see in this is you would be screwing into the end grain of the dowel. would work I'm sure for quite a while, but end grain doesn't hold screws as well as long grain. The plywood block idea would work if you can cut the area out cleanly enough for a good fit.
Doc, I never heard of the nutserts, I'll have to try to search them out and take a look.
Tango, thinking more about it, the dowel idea doesn't sound too bad. I would use at least a 3/4" dowel, find a 3/4" "forstner bit". they drill a very nice flat bottom hole. Wrap a piece of tape around the shaft of the bit to mark your depth, so you don't drill through the counter top, cause that would really piss you off! Also I would look for a hard wood dowel, preferably oak, it's harder and will hold the screw better. Good luck, I can foresee cussing when you try to drill a nice neat hole into a blown-out area of particle board. The bits gonna wobble and jump around. Once it starts you'll be alright though.

spittinfire 06-10-2010 10:48 AM

I don't think a nutsert would work here as they need to expand to hold themselves in place and particle board doesn't offer much strength in that area.

If it were me I would probably go with the plywood, you could make a strip to glue on which could offer a bit more support then the dowl. You may have to rework the metal hangers but as soft as they are it shouldn't be a problem.