Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > OIF/OEF vets and those currently serving please read.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The military has been trying to go "purple" for many years (slang for more consistency, aka purple suit vs blue suit or green suit). About 2 years ago I attended the Defense Financial Managers course at Maxwell AFB in AL.

This course is for mid to upper level financial management officers and civilians. The course was held on an AF base and the course chief was an Army LtCol. They tried very hard to present material we could all digest (class pretty evenly split between the 4 services) - but TBH we all speak a different language. The absolute funniest moment is when the Comptroller of the Joint Special Ops Command addressed us. He was an AF Colonel (O-6) with over 25 years in the business. He quickly realized he really didn't speak the same language when he had to start handling the finances for the SEAL Teams - he needed a translator.

Makes sense really as we all have unique missions. I spent 20 years in the AF and I've been an Army civilian for 5 - and I'm just getting to where I'm comfortable with Army-speak. Bottom line is you can put all the services in the same suit - but there will always be differences.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I agree that the uniform will be a step in the right direction. There are other issues that are higher on the priority list, though. Those issues need to be taken care first. I won't go into specifics because this forum is not the appropriate place to discuss internal USAF issues.
The way I see it is the uniform is the easiest to fix because all it would require is maybe $1 million in R&D with input from experienced warriors from Iraq and Afghanistan (not Academy and office types like the ABU). From there production would be easy, after a short wear test in country start issuing that and only that to deployers. 2 years at the most.

As far as the number on the HMMWV goes...

I was assigned to 2/203rd as a mentor/brigade support team from Task Force: Phoenix. Joint Operations are truly an amazing thing.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory