OIF/OEF vets and those currently serving please read. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > OIF/OEF vets and those currently serving please read.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nonya,WA
Posts: 3,991
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Once you remove the human factor and take out emotion. I would say that a units TACP is a much more important target compared to an infantry type because of his skillset. The same can be said for medics, EOD, etc etc. Also I'd be willing to venture an Army guy in a patrol with Marine both wearing their respective uniforms that the Army type would get shot first because he stands out from the rest of the people with him.



Wrong and right. When I'm on the FOB/Bagram/etc etc I could wear whatever I wanted and they wouldn't know. However when I go outside the wire I want to look like those I'm with. The exact same can be said for the combat arms types too.

Here is a list of AFSCs and Navy rates that I know of personally being in combat (not just getting your base mortared)

Services (not just me, but another couple)
Power Production (generator mechanics)
TACPs (Tactical Air Control Party)
CCTs (Combat Controllers)
PJs (Pararescuemen)
Both Navy and Air Force EOD
ENFNs
Corpsman from the Navy
"I venture an Army guy in a patrol with Marine both wearing their respective uniforms that the Army type would get shot first because he stands out from the rest of the people with him".

An "Army guy" mixed in with a Marine troop has has the same chance of survial as the Marines, all are well trained and the hostiles will look for an easy traget. No Marine or Army are easy targets.

I would say that a units TACP is a much more important target compared to an infantry type because of his skillset. The same can be said for medics, EOD, etc etc

In the Marines and I excect the Army we don't give different uniforms to any in combat, Everyone has a job to do. Guess you have to be there to understand how it works.

Hard to express to a AF cook, I respect your service and motor rounds are a good reason to duck and cover. Still not the same as being in the mix. Again different uniforms for different requirements.
__________________

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.
WDB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ubergopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,216
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I disagree. Different uniforms make you stand out. I don't like standing out and there situation beyond your control where even perfect SA isn't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Hard to express to a AF cook, I respect your service and motor rounds are a good reason to duck and cover. Still not the same as being in the mix. Again different uniforms for different requirements.
With all due respect, you don't know **** about my service.

On 21 November 2008 I was driving back to my FOB from another FOB where the day before I saw a small child of about 8 years old burnt on about 50% of his body because of an IED. That image will never leave my mind.

My vehicle then ran over a pressure plate IED.





That is the vehicle I was in. If I hit with the front instead of rear tire, I would be dead or crippled right now. Suffice to say, I'm very very lucky. In addition to that one memorable convoy, I have preformed over 100 convoys in eastern Afghanistan about 50 miles from Pakistan.

Now tell me I haven't been in "the mix". Please.

Quote:
In the Marines and I expect the Army we don't give different uniforms to any in combat, Everyone has a job to do. Guess you have to be there to understand how it works.
Thats exactly what I'm arguing for. THE SAME DAMN UNIFORM FOR EVERYONE IN THE AOR UNLESS THEY HAVE A VALID REASON WHY IT DOESN'T FIT THEIR MISSION.

An example would be the flight suit for fighter pilots, because of the ejection seats they NEED one piece flight suits so they don't get burned in the gap between the top and bottom.
__________________

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory


Last edited by Ubergopher; 09-01-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Ubergopher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nonya,WA
Posts: 3,991
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

All due respect that isn't a AF transport in the pictures. It's an Army transport, the number next to the wip antena in the second pictrure appears to be and Army designator not Airforce. I could be wrong but it is pretty easy to check.

Either way do you think that if everyone would be wearing the same unifrom the result/effect would have been different?

__________________

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.
WDB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JiroZero713's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
Posts: 1,067
Default

They are currently getting rid of the Whites and Black uniforms in the navy in favor of a all year uniform.


I don't like it myself.

I like tradition and the white uniform on a Navy Person....bah.

__________________
JiroZero713 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Robert NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mooresville,North Carolina
Posts: 193
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I must be behind the times, but I thought most of the Combat troops were already wearing Camo pattern uniforms. I went through about 4 iterations of uniforms in 20 years. Never really liked changing from one material or design to another. Snipers pick who they want and will get who they deem more important no matter what the uniform. There have always been rivalry between the uniformed services and always will be. I was proud that my utility uniform was different the Marine, Navy or Air Force that was in a school with me.

They bitch about how much money the services spend and now they want to change all the uniforms to make everyone look alike!!!!

__________________
God is Great, Beer is Good, People are Crazy

SOUTHERN BORN CONSERVATIVE REDNECK AND VERY PROUD OF IT

ARMY 1970-1971 MP SGT Nam
Army 1976-1994 MP/CID Agent 1SG
Robert NC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 4,808
Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
EVERYTHING to do with making it harder for the enemy to differentiate between us? Are you suggesting the "enemy" considers one branch of the military a higher value traget? That is what I read into your post, as I know the military unless your an AF pilot the rest of you are pretty detached from the action. I could be wrong but for the most part you could wear your PJ's to work and the "enemy" would never know.
If I tried to wear a PJ he would probably kick my ass. Which he is trained to do, then he will medically treat me and airlift me to safety because that's the other part of his job.
USAF PARARESCUE - That Others May Live

But in general your right, the AF is probably 80% inside the walls support and 20% Pilots, aircrew, TACP (the guys on the ground with the Army/Marines who tell the pilots where to shoot), PJ's(rescue behind the lines guys), Combat Controllers(someone has to be first on the ground at an enemy airfield, its easier to take over a field than build new) and SP's and other outside the wire guys who perform the same missions as the army/marines or any other combat troops.

I don't think the enemy considers one branch to be of higher value than another. But I can see that if someone is wearing a different uniform and they are the only one in that uniform the enemy might consider them the leader and a higher value target.
__________________

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson


Last edited by Yunus; 09-01-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Yunus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TXnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy,Texas
Posts: 1,376
Default

My step-daughter is a USAF 2nd LT (Nurse) and is currently stationed at Balad AFB near Baghdad. She wears the new digital camo BDU's.

__________________

TXnorton

TXnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SGT-MILLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,354
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

WDB posted:

Quote:
That is what I read into your post, as I know the military unless your an AF pilot the rest of you are pretty detached from the action.
Quote:
All due respect that isn't a AF transport in the pictures. It's an Army transport, the number next to the wip antena in the second pictrure appears to be and Army designator not Airforce. I could be wrong but it is pretty easy to check.
Quote:
In the Marines and I expect the Army we don't give different uniforms to any in combat, Everyone has a job to do. Guess you have to be there to understand how it works.
I'll just say this:

WDB, you are out of touch as to what the USAF supports as far as combat operations/convoy operations as concerned. You are trying to call out Uber for possibly fabricating the facts behind the pictures. I am asking you to stop right now, because you are really off the mark, and you don't know what you are talking about. You don't know the military as well as you think.

In regards to the uniform issue, I think it's a good idea for in-theatre convoy operations. The enemy is smarter than we give them credit for. That has been proven time and time again, and anybody that has read the daily reports while in country can see that. While the person is in garrison, he/she can wear whatever uniform they have earned. During convoy operations/combat operations, the key is to stay alive. Wearing the same uniform across the board will help out with convoy security and survivability of certain key members. I'm not going to go into specific details, because of OPSEC reasons.

HOWEVER!

I hope there is not too much emphasis put on uniforms! It would be great to have something that works better for convoy ops, but there are much more pressing issues to be dealt with. There are equipment and supply issues that need to be dealt with right away. I think we are tracking pretty well with what we've been given as far as funds and resources are concerned. Things could be better, but they could be worse.
__________________
"TRAIN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE, NOT WITH WHAT YOU WISH YOU HAVE."
SGT-MILLER is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ubergopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,216
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
HOWEVER!

I hope there is not too much emphasis put on uniforms! It would be great to have something that works better for convoy ops, but there are much more pressing issues to be dealt with. There are equipment and supply issues that need to be dealt with right away. I think we are tracking pretty well with what we've been given as far as funds and resources are concerned. Things could be better, but they could be worse.
I'll adress the changing role of the Air Force when I'm not in class later this afternoon.

I'm not saying the Joint Combat Uniform will be the end all solution to all problems everywhere in the AOR, but having a consistentm, functional uniform for ALL ground troops in the AOR will be a huge step in the right direction in the type of warfare we're currently engaged in.
__________________

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Ubergopher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SGT-MILLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,354
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I agree that the uniform will be a step in the right direction. There are other issues that are higher on the priority list, though. Those issues need to be taken care first. I won't go into specifics because this forum is not the appropriate place to discuss internal USAF issues.

__________________
"TRAIN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE, NOT WITH WHAT YOU WISH YOU HAVE."
SGT-MILLER is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
WWI Vets cpttango30 The Club House 7 07-31-2009 12:03 AM
Three Labradors were sitting in a vets. Office opaww The Club House 1 07-14-2009 10:57 AM
Quit ******* with Vets, already Benning Boy The Club House 10 04-12-2009 11:15 PM
Iraq Vets for Congress sculker The Club House 4 03-19-2008 09:59 AM